Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-20, 01:39 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by Pirkaus
A socioeconomic experiment, what coin denomination would you retrieve from a public toilet?
A Dougloon?
Old 03-21-20, 01:42 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
A Dougloon?
Leave that alone, it's a deodorizer.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-21-20, 01:57 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I'd go in after an Eagle, Maple Leaf, Krugerrand, etc., but ask the same question in a few months and maybe I'll be down in Susan B. Anthony territory.
wut country are you in?
Old 03-21-20, 01:57 PM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
Excellent.

So for our Adventures in Telemedicine, one of my partners used the image my patients see while they are in my virtual waiting room and made a poster of it to put on the physician’s door. It looks like a coin with my profile, so the coin has been named the “Dougloon.”

Pic:

Old 03-21-20, 01:59 PM
sbxx1985 

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Actually DougRNS is right after all. Moderators, please deal with this incitement of violence. #MouseLivesMatter
Pay particular attention to the socioeconomy of patient visits in metropolitan v. rural areas and blue v. white collar social distancing.
Old 03-21-20, 02:20 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
That's how it's supposed to work, right?
I gave up and turned that off. I had to, LAJ got me started on “The Wire” and I finished the first season in two days. That’s 13 hours of butt time.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 03-21-20, 02:21 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
We did a quasi-group ride. A total of 9 showed up. We broke into two groups immediately. I was in a group of 4. I advised we try to maintain social distance which kinda did not happen. Not sure if that is wise going forward. I may just go on solo rides but solo riders more vulnerable to asshat motorists too. There is no perfect solution.
IMO there is no ok group ride now.

My thought process is if the CDC tells us to keep 6 ft from others, viral particles that a person breathes out probably exist in a spherical “cloud” emanating maybe 3 feet in any direction centered on your heading (assuming they’re including a generous safety margin in the 6 ft recommendation).

But that’s standing still or maybe at walking speed. Once you get on a bike and start moving at bike speeds, that sphere turns into an ovoid with most of the bad air (if you’re sick) streaming out behind you. How far? Who knows? It depends on how fast you’re going, wind speed, probably humidity. But it’s likely more than 6 feet. Then simultaneously you have the guy riding behind you moving into your bad air at a much higher rate of speed than a person walking, further decreasing the effective distance between people.

Theres probably some other factors to consider- virus getting dispersed so delivering a lower viral dose to the next guy compared to still air (a good thing), the transient negative effect of exercise on immune function (a bad thing), the amount of virus exhaled based on resp rate (potentially a bad thing) and depth (potentially a good thing).

In short who the F knows. Other than I’m certain it’s a bad thing to do if we can’t say it’s safe.

Right now population health trumps individual health. So group rides are an easy no. Solo rides are problematic- increased risk to the individual at a time when our health care system’s resources should not be diverted. It’s hard for me to say this but I think the moral/ethical/patriotic thing right now is trainer rides.

But I feel like it’s likely that recreational cycling will be banned very soon. So I’m kind of still hanging in there myself with the solo outdoor rides. Struggling with it though because I want to do the right thing and not be selfish but I also want to get out on my bikes.
Old 03-21-20, 02:23 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by sbxx1985
Pay particular attention to the socioeconomy of patient visits in metropolitan v. rural areas and blue v. white collar social distancing.
Where would this be available?
Old 03-21-20, 02:24 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by kissTheApex
Alarm cats?
Yes, and they’re rightful position in the pantheon of gods.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 03-21-20, 02:25 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by Heathpack
Solo rides are problematic- increased risk to the individual at a time when our health care system’s resources should not be diverted.
???

As I see it the road riding is safer than usual now.
Old 03-21-20, 02:28 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Did Addiction go, ahem, viral while I was out riding?
Cant speak for Addiction but walking as an exercise seems to have gone viral in my area. It’s 36° out and I quit counting walkers, cyclists, etc. at fifty units during my 20 mile ride. I don’t see that many in the summer.

Old 03-21-20, 02:30 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by Pirkaus
A socioeconomic experiment, what coin denomination would you retrieve from a public toilet?
If you see a quarter in a toilet, it’s not worth taking it out. So, throw another quarter in because it’s worth 50 cents to get your hand dirty.

I guess my answer is a half dollar or two quarters.

Old 03-21-20, 02:32 PM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Cant speak for Addiction but walking as an exercise seems to have gone viral in my area. It’s 36° out and I quit counting walkers, cyclists, etc. at fifty units during my 20 mile ride. I don’t see that many in the summer.
QFT, my wife and I were commenting to each other about this, while walking our "alarm" dogs. All of a sudden everyones a health nut.
Old 03-21-20, 02:37 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
So for our Adventures in Telemedicine, one of my partners used the image my patients see while they are in my virtual waiting room and made a poster of it to put on the physician’s door. It looks like a coin with my profile, so the coin has been named the “Dougloon.”
AG and I have instituted a semaphore system where we put a Lego kit on the outside of our laptops to let each other know when we're in calls and can't be disturbed.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 03-21-20, 02:50 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Ended up going barehanded and to the Giant. The commissary was 65 and older until 1100. Smart idea.
Some of the stores in my area have been doing similar things, giving the run of the place exclusively to those at higher risk, usually for the first hour or two of business.
Old 03-21-20, 02:54 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by sbxx1985
I'm going to shatter your image of Jimmy McNulty right..... now.

Old 03-21-20, 02:55 PM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
Right now population health trumps individual health. So group rides are an easy no. Solo rides are problematic- increased risk to the individual at a time when our health care system’s resources should not be diverted. It’s hard for me to say this but I think the moral/ethical/patriotic thing right now is trainer rides. But I feel like it’s likely that recreational cycling will be banned very soon. So I’m kind of still hanging in there myself with the solo outdoor rides. Struggling with it though because I want to do the right thing and not be selfish but I also want to get out on my bikes.
I've been struggling with this thought process myself this past week. As the number of cars on the road has dwindled, particularly in the afternoon when I get off of work, I have been contemplating getting back into bike commuting. But there's the issue of if I get hurt enough to take up ambulance and hospital space. And I live in a part of the world that is not...ahem...particularly familiar with or friendly towards bike riders (with the possible exception of the weekend riders up from the big city) and very little of the infrastructure is bike-friendly, so I could be placing myself in an unacceptably high risk situation for the times. But these mostly empty roads sure are tempting...
Old 03-21-20, 02:59 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

IMO there is no ok group ride now.

My thought process is if the CDC tells us to keep 6 ft from others, viral particles that a person breathes out probably exist in a spherical “cloud” emanating maybe 3 feet in any direction centered on your heading (assuming they’re including a generous safety margin in the 6 ft recommendation).

But that’s standing still or maybe at walking speed. Once you get on a bike and start moving at bike speeds, that sphere turns into an ovoid with most of the bad air (if you’re sick) streaming out behind you. How far? Who knows? It depends on how fast you’re going, wind speed, probably humidity. But it’s likely more than 6 feet. Then simultaneously you have the guy riding behind you moving into your bad air at a much higher rate of speed than a person walking, further decreasing the effective distance between people.

Theres probably some other factors to consider- virus getting dispersed so delivering a lower viral dose to the next guy compared to still air (a good thing), the transient negative effect of exercise on immune function (a bad thing), the amount of virus exhaled based on resp rate (potentially a bad thing) and depth (potentially a good thing).

In short who the F knows. Other than I’m certain it’s a bad thing to do if we can’t say it’s safe.

Right now population health trumps individual health. So group rides are an easy no. Solo rides are problematic- increased risk to the individual at a time when our health care system’s resources should not be diverted. It’s hard for me to say this but I think the moral/ethical/patriotic thing right now is trainer rides.

But I feel like it’s likely that recreational cycling will be banned very soon. So I’m kind of still hanging in there myself with the solo outdoor rides. Struggling with it though because I want to do the right thing and not be selfish but I also want to get out on my bikes.
I pretty much agree. Still would hope that if a few riders go out and stay 30-50 feet apart that still allows for some measure of safety compared to a truly solo ride. And you can keep pace with the rider in front of you for motivation. Riding the trainer as the weather here is FINALLY getting nice seems like such a drag.
Old 03-21-20, 03:03 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Jadesfire

Be careful. Sometimes these things can get out of hand.
I'm going with a good ol' bucket trap with some spinny paddles - doesn't need batteries, doesn't need to be reset, can catch several of the buggers overnight.
Old 03-21-20, 03:23 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,618 Times in 1,239 Posts
I've been trying to motivate myself to go on another ride today since it's sunny and calm, but a walk over to the pharmacy earlier chilled me more than I expected.

I don't believe that it's actually going to make it to the forecast 38°F today.
Old 03-21-20, 03:34 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Of course throw n fetch won’t work on cats. Just one more reason why dogs > cats.
Try telling me that when it is cold and snowing, and you need to walk the dog.
Old 03-21-20, 03:42 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by abshipp
I've been trying to motivate myself to go on another ride today since it's sunny and calm, but a walk over to the pharmacy earlier chilled me more than I expected.

I don't believe that it's actually going to make it to the forecast 38°F today.
Not hot
Old 03-21-20, 03:42 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12740 Post(s)
Liked 7,652 Times in 4,058 Posts
Solo ride for me today. They're my favorite kind, anyways... like the first half of this ditty.

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 03-21-20, 03:44 PM
sbxx1985 

Vegetarian Indian food for dinner. If you have a pressure cooker and a rice cooker, you can make anything during the apocalypse.
Old 03-21-20, 03:46 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Ended up going barehanded and to the Giant. The commissary was 65 and older until 1100. Smart idea.
My wife got up at 6AM to go to the Giant. It was kind of picked over. Not much produce, not much protein. I can't help but wonder if people are going to be pitching a lot of produce when it starts to go bad.

I got a growler fill the other day at Iron Hill. They wouldn't fill the growler that I brought - "new rules". They gave me one of theirs and made me promise to bring it back. I don't know quite how this is going to work going forward - if I bring the old one back do they run it through the dishwashing machine so they can reuse it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.