Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Yelling from the passenger seat

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-26-20, 04:50 PM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts

I am very cautious when riding, and predominantly obey traffic rules. The other day on my way back from a 50 miler I was at cruising speed and didn't stop at a stop sign. It was at a 4 way stop intersection and there were no vehicles in sight. Ten seconds later a vehicle passes and the passenger sticks her head out the window and yells "Your supposed to stop at the stop sign". I was about 6 miles from finishing an enjoyable ride when this ruined it....why is she interfering with my ride when I didn't interfere with her driving (her car was no where near me when I blew the stop sign). If there ever was a time for me to pedal 50mph, this was it.....I wanted so badly to catch up with the car and tell her to mind her business. Was I wrong for not stopping when there are no vehicles in sight, or was she wrong for telling me that I am supposed to?

Last edited by hrdknox1; 03-26-20 at 05:04 PM.
Likes For hrdknox1:
Old 03-26-20, 05:02 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Well...I always stop at stop signs, and I get yelled at for that, too. Some people just like to yell.

At least they didn't bark out the window. (What's up with passengers doing that, anyway?)
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 03-26-20, 05:03 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
I had a guy do that to me several weeks back. I was at a T intersection where the the right hand prong of the T was a dirt road that had been closed to traffic (and barricaded by the county to enforce that) after it washed away in a storm and they decided not to repair it. So it's not even a real intersection anymore, since anyone driving up to it is either turning right, or turning left, but nobody's crossing in front of the other lane. I don't even know why there's still stop signs there. I was the one turning right, and as I approached the intersection some doofus pulls up turning left to go down the road I was on. I slowed enough to make a safe 90-degree right turn and as I rode through it the guy yelled at me out of his open window. Was I wrong not to stop at the intersection? Yes according to the law, because there's still a stop sign there for whatever reason. Do I feel bad about it? No way Jose. But this dude feels like he's gotta play Judge Dredd on me. Screw that!

Fortunately I don't let things like that bother me for more than a few seconds. I've got plenty of other things I'd rather be thinking about during my rides, so it didn't spoil the mood of the ride for me.
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 03-26-20, 05:39 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,296 Times in 7,230 Posts
Actions can have consequences.
Old 03-26-20, 05:40 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Yes, you committed a traffic infraction, unless you live in Idaho. But unless the person wore a badge and the car had lights and a siren, I wouldn't even respond. Smile and wave, boys. Smile and wave.
Old 03-26-20, 05:41 PM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 63 Posts
No cars, no stop... Been doing it all my life, don't plan on stopping. But I look three times to be absolutely sure. Some bad choices don't get do-overs. As far as self-righteous drivers, ignoring them utterly - not even taking my hands off the bars or looking at them is enormously satisfying since they don't get the reaction they seem to crave in order to validate themselves.
Old 03-26-20, 07:02 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Sometimes the best response is no response.
Old 03-26-20, 07:19 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by hrdknox1
I am very cautious when riding, and predominantly obey traffic rules. The other day on my way back from a 50 miler I was at cruising speed and didn't stop at a stop sign. It was at a 4 way stop intersection and there were no vehicles in sight. Ten seconds later a vehicle passes and the passenger sticks her head out the window and yells "Your supposed to stop at the stop sign". I was about 6 miles from finishing an enjoyable ride when this ruined it....why is she interfering with my ride when I didn't interfere with her driving (her car was no where near me when I blew the stop sign). If there ever was a time for me to pedal 50mph, this was it.....I wanted so badly to catch up with the car and tell her to mind her business. Was I wrong for not stopping when there are no vehicles in sight, or was she wrong for telling me that I am supposed to?
yes, you should have stopped.
Likes For spelger:
Old 03-26-20, 07:23 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Hmmmm .... First off, you broke the law. So it isn't "Mind your own business." You Chose to break the law. And public criminal acts are everyone's business.

Most of us would have done the same at that intersection---no cars, no need to stop. However, if I blow through a stop sign, I cannot complain if someone complains. I made the choice, I take the responsibility.

Yes, having someone yell at you can be upsetting. I have learned (and it has Not been easy) to immediately smile and wave if I can .... or not, .... but I try never to let it really affect me. Whether it is someone who thinks he is being funny, a total jerk, someone who doesn't realize that startling me might make me crash, or someone who wants me to crash .... I have it down almost to a reflex---I smile and usually say "Thank you" or some other such pleasantry. Otherwise I might do what I used to do---shout curses and make rude gestures. That just messes up my day and probably makes the shouter laugh with glee. No one who deserves to win, wins if I get mad. I win if I don't.

And of course, sometimes I slip .... but I always focus on my response, not the verbal assault. That way I can get back on an even keel quicker.

So ... yeah, it is sad but it could be a lot worse. When I rode daily in Central Florida, people would sometimes throw things or even swerve to "scare" a rider ... by actually endangering the rider's life, which we all know is really funny. Getting run off the road in the dark is nothing but humor.

But here is another scenario I faced;

I was riding safely, a reasonable distance from the curb so that I was safe and cars could pass, when I was screamed at from a passing car. I turned to shout some curses ... and saw two kids, maybe nine and seven, cracking up with laughter and waving. They were just delighted to see a fat man on a bicycle out in traffic. There was no malice in them at all---they were loving life and being friendly, in their minds.

So ... if I had not caught myself, instead of having a fun time and seeing a cyclist---sort of like a trip to the zoo---"Look at the funny fat man in spandex! Wheeee!" I could have left them with the impression that cyclists were snarly, screeching rage-filled animals. i could have scared them. Instead, I left them laughing.

Last edited by Maelochs; 03-26-20 at 07:26 PM.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 03-26-20, 07:39 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Yes, you committed a traffic infraction, unless you live in Idaho.
or Arkansas
or Oregon

These three states now allow cyclist to treat stop signs like yield signs.
Next time tell them it’s civil disobedience.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 03-26-20, 07:42 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I tend to think to myself that if they off their fat ****s (sorry) and rode a bike,

they would treat stop signs the same as many of us do.

Plus if you slavishly stop at every one, drivers will be unhappy because you're holding up traffic.

This was done as a protest in SF after a crackdown on cyclists. Traffic backed up and drivers tore their hair.
Old 03-26-20, 08:24 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Because people suck when they feel protected from consequences.

Outside those metal cocoons, suddenly that superpower courage evaporates.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 03-26-20, 08:42 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Living with integrity: doing the right thing even when no one is looking. Riding with integrity: don't stop til you've crossed the finish line!

I've been out in the middle of nowhere on soooooo many rides, just cruising, locked in, tempo.... and a vehicle passes me with a dog whose head is out the window and has learned the EXACT millisecond to BARK at me for the speed of the vehicle and my place on the road. Ugh! Just about maxes out my HR, makes me pedal really fast for a few revs, and usually kind of irritates me, even though I LOVE dogs. I know they're just being dogs, but whoa! Scares the beans outta me!!! People yelling at me? I chalk that up to ignorance and jealousy.
Old 03-26-20, 08:49 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
A stop sign is a stop stop sign. I live in Oregon and I still stop for stop signs. You were wrong and you blame the person who calls you on it

Last edited by Doug64; 03-27-20 at 08:50 PM.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 03-26-20, 09:56 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
The only mistake you made, is having witnesses.

No harm, no foul, yes you "broke the law" which becomes relevant if you get caught.

The rule in Shanghai at the moment? No cop, no stop. (usually its a slow, *look* and go)
Likes For SHBR:
Old 03-27-20, 05:47 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
"the only winning move is to not play the game". Joshua 'Wargames'.

I used to get upset with certain behaviours that people exhibited as I rode my bicycle. Now I just ignore them and think that they're just trying to steal my joy.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 03-27-20, 06:37 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
One of the sick things in Western society, is a lot of people are experts on what everyone else should do. Sometimes you do something for a good reason, but other people don't understand.

An example when driving a truck. People believe you should be in a certain lane. Sometimes there is a good reason why a truck is in another lane. Some motorists who believe a truck is in the wrong lane, pull in front of the truck and hit the brakes. It is an easy way to die.

People should normally mind their own business, unless there is a genuine problem.

It is often people wasting their own lives that are experts on what everyone else should do.
Likes For alo:
Old 03-27-20, 06:51 AM
308jerry

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
If I were in your shoes and I had the opportunity to do the exact same thing. I would do it, I would do it every day that no one was anywhere close.
If I didn't know better, I would think we lived in a police state.... Listen to these OP comments. There's hardly a week goes by when everyone of us doesn't break the law these days.
Ride your bike like you own it, ride your bike like you own the road and laugh at the person hanging out the window acting like they're a friend of the Supreme Law of the Land....
Likes For 308jerry:
Old 03-27-20, 06:54 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
OP, here are a few things to consider:

Obeying all traffic laws is probably a great way to minimize the risk of injury and driver hostility (it will never eliminate it). Whatever words the driver/passenger who observed the stop sign violation used they can be translated to "This is why we hate you". It is true you can be doing everything right and still have unpleasant interactions with drivers/passengers. Sometimes they're just insecure people who at the moment have the mechanical upper hand or they're taking some other cyclist's poor behavior out on you; sometimes it's both. By all means, ride the way you want to but understand ignoring traffic laws p*sses drivers off and you'll undoubtedly have more of the same kind of interaction. In either case, you'd be best to cage that bird and keep your mouth shut, right or wrong. The world is full of people who I've tagged as "CNN Minutes", they're capable of things in the heat of the moment that you can't fathom and frankly, don't want to. The problem with CNN Minute people is they don't have name tags or signs on their cars; you don't know you've found one until it's too late.

Let it roll off your back and ride your ride. Holding on to anger about things you can't control is like drinking poison hoping someone else will die.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 03-27-20, 08:04 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 225 Posts
Funny flip side. I got a compliment from a cop for not running a red light. He said that I was the first cyclist he has seen that waited for a red light.

To the OP...I am a little disturbed you ran a 4 way at "cruising" speed. I've been almost leveled by other cyclist running stop signs.
Likes For bikecrate:
Old 03-27-20, 08:06 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
Virtue signaling is strong on this thread
Old 03-27-20, 10:00 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
OP, here are a few things to consider:

Obeying all traffic laws is probably a great way to minimize the risk of injury and driver hostility (it will never eliminate it). Whatever words the driver/passenger who observed the stop sign violation used they can be translated to "This is why we hate you". It is true you can be doing everything right and still have unpleasant interactions with drivers/passengers. Sometimes they're just insecure people who at the moment have the mechanical upper hand or they're taking some other cyclist's poor behavior out on you; sometimes it's both. By all means, ride the way you want to but understand ignoring traffic laws p*sses drivers off and you'll undoubtedly have more of the same kind of interaction. In either case, you'd be best to cage that bird and keep your mouth shut, right or wrong. The world is full of people who I've tagged as "CNN Minutes", they're capable of things in the heat of the moment that you can't fathom and frankly, don't want to. The problem with CNN Minute people is they don't have name tags or signs on their cars; you don't know you've found one until it's too late.

Let it roll off your back and ride your ride. Holding on to anger about things you can't control is like drinking poison hoping someone else will die.

I don't actually agree with this.

The road system is not well designed for cyclists. Some left turn situations, in particular, are deadly.

In California, lane splitting is allowed because bikers get rear-ended in stopped traffic.
Old 03-27-20, 11:07 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Two points:

First, always take responsibility. if you choose to run a stop sign, own it. If someone yells, though .... disown it.

Which is point two---there will always be people complaining no matter what. Those people are generally idiots---but even if they have a valid point, it is their point. Accept what is true, and discard the emotion. Ride on.
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Obeying all traffic laws is probably a great way to minimize the risk of injury and driver hostility (it will never eliminate it).

I generally agree. When i choose to break a traffic law, I Know I am doing it, and why. Sometimes i wait at lights just to not soil the reputation of cyclists in general, because the next rider that irate driver meets might get ta bad reaction engendered by my bad action.

Sometimes I don't.
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I don't actually agree with this. (re: Obeying all traffic laws is probably a great way to minimize the risk of injury and driver hostility (it will never eliminate it).)

The road system is not well designed for cyclists. Some left turn situations, in particular, are deadly.

In California, lane splitting is allowed because bikers get rear-ended in stopped traffic.
Ummm .... so lane-splitting in Cali is ... obeying the traffic laws, right?

I find most traffic laws are actually pretty decent. And most states (I have only investigate the uniform traffic code for about 2/3) have laws allowing bikes to take the lane, and such. I try not to make left turns, but I have been riding in traffic for fifty years and they haven't killed me yet .... so Something works (of course, some folks would say this proves that something is Not working. .... )
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 03-27-20, 11:14 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I don't actually agree with this.

Whether we agree or not; it doesn't change the truth.
Old 03-27-20, 11:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Living with integrity: doing the right thing even when no one is looking. Riding with integrity: don't stop til you've crossed the finish line!

I've been out in the middle of nowhere on soooooo many rides, just cruising, locked in, tempo.... and a vehicle passes me with a dog whose head is out the window and has learned the EXACT millisecond to BARK at me for the speed of the vehicle and my place on the road. Ugh! Just about maxes out my HR, makes me pedal really fast for a few revs, and usually kind of irritates me, even though I LOVE dogs. I know they're just being dogs, but whoa! Scares the beans outta me!!! People yelling at me? I chalk that up to ignorance and jealousy.

I always have the same reaction to the barking dog in car window scenario, and it's reflex--First, I get startled in a big way, then I immediately start laughing out of amusement. For some reason, I just find it funny that I have no clue what the dog thinks it's telling me. "Don't try to get in the car", "I'm going to jump out and get you", "throw me your water bottle", "got any spare hamburger?"
Likes For livedarklions:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.