Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Kickstands

Old 11-12-19, 02:12 PM
macbobster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Kickstands

If you have a kickstand on your bike you're NOT cool, so they say. I put one on and I'm feeling OK. When we ride the centuries I'll take off the rack, fenders and kickstand (about 2 pounds). Then I'll be cooler.

Last edited by macbobster; 11-12-19 at 02:49 PM.
Likes For macbobster:
Old 11-12-19, 02:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by macbobster
If you have a kickstand on your bike you're NOT cool, so they say. I put one on and I'm feeling OK. When we ride the tours I'll take off the rack, fenders and kickstand (about 2 pounds). Then I'll be cooler.
My advice would be to leave that stuff on while you're touring, especially the rack.

I don't pack a lot on my overnights, but kickstands are nice to have when you have a laden bike, racks make iot easier to carry stuff, and fenders look really nice on the bike.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-12-19, 02:26 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
That stem is seriously long. Hows the steering?
Likes For GlennR:
Old 11-12-19, 02:28 PM
macbobster

"My advice would be to leave that stuff on while you're touring, especially the rack."

Yes agreed, I should have said "century tours". TUC and Ride the Rim are my favorites.

Last edited by macbobster; 11-12-19 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-12-19, 02:38 PM
macbobster

Originally Posted by GlennR
That stem is seriously long. Hows the steering?
Well it's only a 130mm. Needed for the Rivendell Choco bars which have major sweep. The ride is super, the steering is so nice. It's a full on touring bike, if you want.
Likes For macbobster:
Old 11-12-19, 02:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Yes agreed, I should have said "century tours". TUC and Ride the Rim are my favorites.
About 7 months of the year, I ride the equivalent of two centuries every weekend, weather permitting, some about that hilly. I say leave the rack on, makes the tool bag look better.

I've never ridden with that handlebar setup--looks like fun.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-12-19, 02:46 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
You ought to see the classically engineered kickstand on my Schwinn. It must be 18 pounds of chrome plated glory.
Old 11-12-19, 03:00 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2387 Post(s)
Liked 2,834 Times in 1,613 Posts
Setting aside the supposed issue of coolness (nobody really cares who does or doesn't use a kickstand), installing a kickstand on an aluminum bike such as your Cannondale is almost guaranteed to result in frame damage. Even Surly says that installing a kickstand on their frames, which are all built with high-quality steel, voids the warranty.

If you want to avoid damaging the frame, you should consider installing a rear-wheel kickstand, which is much less likely to damage the frame.
Old 11-12-19, 03:03 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Setting aside the supposed issue of coolness (nobody really cares who does or doesn't use a kickstand), installing a kickstand on an aluminum bike such as your Cannondale is almost guaranteed to result in frame damage. Even Surly says that installing a kickstand on their frames, which are all built with high-quality steel, voids the warranty.

If you want to avoid damaging the frame, you should consider installing a rear-wheel kickstand, which is much less likely to damage the frame.
Weird. I don't get out much, but I've never heard of that before. I'm guessing those makers give long term frame warranties?

One thing is for sure, my aluminum framed Norco CityGlide came with an aluminum kickstand. But the warranty was over before I ever owned the bike.
Old 11-12-19, 03:06 PM
macbobster

Originally Posted by FiftySix
You ought to see the classically engineered kickstand on my Schwinn. It must be 18 pounds of chrome plated glory.
A friend is giving me an old Schwinn. Not sure if it is a Varsity or Conti, or maybe better? Was gonna take a hack saw to the kickstand and probably never forgive myself.
Old 11-12-19, 03:08 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

A friend is giving me an old Schwinn. Not sure if it is a Varsity or Conti, or maybe better? Was gonna take a hack saw to the kickstand and probably never forgive myself.
Nooooooo!!!!!

Watch this.

Likes For FiftySix:
Old 11-12-19, 03:19 PM
macbobster

Funny you should mention that. I have seen steel frames dented from kickstand over-tightening. And this Greenfield Pletscher was actually slightly bent at the mounting flange. I put some Gorilla tape on it and was tightening it carefully. This 28 year old Cannondale has hefty (very) stays, but you are correct it could succumb to crushing. It's as tight as I want to go for now and I'll see if it holds it's place. I don't beleive I've done damage yet. Thanks for reminding me!

Cheers, MAC
Old 11-12-19, 03:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

My FX3 has a plate for mounting the kickstand, which I have used for a couple years now without damage. You just have to be careful not to over-tighten.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-12-19, 03:28 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2387 Post(s)
Liked 2,834 Times in 1,613 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
Weird. I don't get out much, but I've never heard of that before. I'm guessing those makers give long term frame warranties?

One thing is for sure, my aluminum framed Norco CityGlide came with an aluminum kickstand. But the warranty was over before I ever owned the bike.
Surly now sells a custom kickstand mount to fit the Long Haul Trucker, designed to minimize the possibility of frame damage.

That said, the Surly info I referred to can be found on their site on a page entitled "Installing Kinkstands On Long Haul Truckers."

Maybe your Norco CityGlide has a welded-on kickstand mounting plate, if the bike was originally sold with a kickstand installed. I hope so.
Old 11-12-19, 03:28 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
Funny you should mention that. I have seen steel frames dented from kickstand over-tightening.
The original Surly blog piece about kickstands and the risks resulted in people accusing the company of being anti-kickstand when it was really trying to be helpful. No good deed goes unpunished.

Here is what Surly originally wrote and its subsequent response:

https://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spe..._haul_truckers

I liked kickstands when I was a kid.
Old 11-12-19, 03:31 PM
macbobster

Originally Posted by livedarklions
About 7 months of the year, I ride the equivalent of two centuries every weekend, weather permitting, some about that hilly. I say leave the rack on, makes the tool bag look better.

I've never ridden with that handlebar setup--looks like fun.
That handlebar setup is not for everybody, but it has given new life to my cycling. I still have some forward lean (I don't do bolt upright) and I move forward to the hooks for climbing, gettin' aero and just diffrent positions. At my age drop bars are just a big pain in the everywhere, LOL.
Likes For macbobster:
Old 11-12-19, 03:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
The original Surly blog piece about kickstands and the risks resulted in people accusing the company of being anti-kickstand when it was really trying to be helpful. No good deed goes unpunished.

Here is what Surly originally wrote and its subsequent response:

https://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spe..._haul_truckers

I liked kickstands when I was a kid.
They're kind of handy, but I only have one on one of my four bikes.
Old 11-12-19, 03:34 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Surly now sells a custom kickstand mount to fit the Long Haul Trucker, designed to minimize the possibility of frame damage.

That said, the Surly info I referred to can be found on their site on a page entitled "Installing Kinkstands On Long Haul Truckers."

Maybe your Norco CityGlide has a welded-on kickstand mounting plate, if the bike was originally sold with a kickstand installed. I hope so.
Indeed, it does have a welded on plate. I didn't realize that wasn't common.
Old 11-12-19, 03:41 PM
macbobster

Originally Posted by livedarklions
My FX3 has a plate for mounting the kickstand, which I have used for a couple years now without damage. You just have to be careful not to over-tighten.
Oh now you've got me thinking? Maybe I can come up with some sort of plate/shim thingie to spred the load, or alt mount. Something cool looking though.
Old 11-12-19, 03:43 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

That handlebar setup is not for everybody, but it has given new life to my cycling. I still have some forward lean (I don't do bolt upright) and I move forward to the hooks for climbing, gettin' aero and just diffrent positions. At my age drop bars are just a big pain in the everywhere, LOL.
I just fell in love with dropbars again after about a 30 year break (I'm 58). I may be giving my last flatbar bike to my son, but I'm sort of feeling an "end of an era" nostalgia about it.

My longest one day ride was 168 miles, and I did it on my FX 3, which I think gives a similar forward lean. Also use the platform pedals like you do, even on my dropbar road bikes.

I think keeping the stuff on while doing a century will make a pretty cool fashion statement. That bike looks great that way.
Old 11-12-19, 04:50 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 819 Posts
My hands won't let me do straight bars anymore. I'm still good with drops; but I was wondering what I could do if I couldn't do drops, either. I like some forward lean. Your setup looks very comfortable to me. It also looks like you could put interrupter/cross brakes on the forward position...although that would spoil the looks...and I think your cannondale looks awsome!
Old 11-12-19, 05:13 PM
macbobster

Originally Posted by BobbyG
My hands won't let me do straight bars anymore. I'm still good with drops; but I was wondering what I could do if I couldn't do drops, either. I like some forward lean. Your setup looks very comfortable to me. It also looks like you could put interrupter/cross brakes on the forward position...although that would spoil the looks...and I think your cannondale looks awsome!
Thanks for the kind words! I got started with swept back bars when I heard about a test. So you stand with your arms hanging loosely at your sides. Then you lean forward a bit, to where you like to be. Then slowly swing / raise your arms and hands forward to where you are comfy. Notice the position of your hands, this is your neutral hand position. This is potentially your least stressful / most comfortable riding position. Now try and find some bars that get you there (and some alt positions as well). This worked a miracle for me, but I have hand /wrist / neck /shoulder /back issues. Still got some legs though, getting old is not for wimps!

Last edited by macbobster; 11-12-19 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-12-19, 05:19 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 819 Posts
...I heard about a test. So you stand with your arm hanging loosely at your sides. Then you lean forward a bit, to where you like to be. Then slowly swing / raise your arms and hands forward to where you are comfy. Notice the position of your hands, this is your neutral hand position. This is potentially your least stressful / most comfortable riding position. Now try and find some bars that get you there (and some alt positions as well)
This makes sense to me.
...Still got some legs though, getting old is not for wimps!
I plan to go kicking and screaming. And as long as I'm kicking, I'm putting a bike between my legs.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 11-12-19, 05:29 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,286 Posts
I don't mind racks and fenders, they are very useful ..but I hate kickstands, they are useless I would never put one on any of my bikes. You don't need a kickstand, you can lay your bike on the ground or lean it against something.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 11-12-19, 05:35 PM
macbobster

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I don't mind racks and fenders, they are very useful ..but I hate kickstands, they are useless I would never put one on any of my bikes. You don't need a kickstand, you can lay your bike on the ground or lean it against something.
Yeh, I know. It kinda goes good with my dork disc and stem shifters though.

Last edited by macbobster; 11-12-19 at 05:44 PM.
Likes For macbobster:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.