Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Caliper vs disc brakes on road bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-20-19, 05:07 PM
AWillZ

Bikes: Ridley Damocles, Dura Ace 7800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Getting ready to replace my 2009 Ridley Damocles - I am sticking with Ridley as the Damo that I have been riding / racing for 10 years has been fantastic. Probably going to a Fenix SL. I had no intention of going with disc brakes but a couple of my riding partners think I should.

I understand the difference but the extra cost / weight doesn't justify the benefit (to me). I will outfit with HED Ardennes Black wheels (no pads on carbon tracks)

why pay more and add 1/2 pound to wheel weight??
Old 11-20-19, 05:30 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Sounds like you've made your decision. Are you looking for affirmation or to be talked out of it?
Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 11-20-19, 05:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Heavier, uglier, more expensive, less aero, more finicky to adjust, and don't stop your bike any faster. You can see why everyone's jumping on the disc bandwagon. /eyeroll
Likes For caloso:
Old 11-20-19, 05:53 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
Now we're rolling
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 11-20-19, 06:37 PM
AWillZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not trying to be talked out of it, but trying to understand the why the whole road bike world is going disc. For the majority of riders I don't see the benefit as it relates to cost and weight unless you are riding or racing in the rain or riding poorly designed carbon rims.

Also agree that disc are high maintenance...I spend more time on the brakes on my Mtn bike than the rest combined
Old 11-20-19, 06:56 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 1,149 Posts
Originally Posted by AWillZ
Not trying to be talked out of it, but trying to understand the why the whole road bike world is going disc. For the majority of riders I don't see the benefit as it relates to cost and weight unless you are riding or racing in the rain or riding poorly designed carbon rims.

Also agree that disc are high maintenance...I spend more time on the brakes on my Mtn bike than the rest combined
With a trend in road bikes towards larger tires, 28 is very common, 32 getting there, disc brakes make it much easier to get a wheel on and off the bike, compared to standard road brakes where an inflated 28 can be a pain.

I think it will be cheaper in the long term for component manufacturers to standardize on disc for all their road, gravel and cross bike systems, to use disc as opposed to having to do a separate set of side pull levers and brakes. Not that that’s a good reason.
Old 11-20-19, 07:03 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

[QUOTE=AWillZ;21216969]I understand the difference but the extra cost / weight doesn't justify the benefit (to me). /QUOTE] What else is there to say?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 11-20-19, 07:14 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
At this stage it’s a matter of time before rim brakes are a thing of the past on all road bikes. Just as it’s hard (not impossible, but hard) to find compatible equipment and spares for Look Arc pedals, or square taper bottom brackets, or downtube shifters or threaded fork frames, so it’s going to continue to get harder and harder to replace brake-track rims, or to source good quality brake pads etc etc.

I may never buy a new road bike again (barring catastrophic failure of one of my current bikes) but if I do, I’ll buy a bike with disc brakes. Probably with gravel/offroadish capability.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 11-20-19, 07:39 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts

High maintenance? I replace the pads when worn, takes maybe 5 minutes for both. Shimano hydros, avids or such. What kind are you using?
Likes For Leebo:
Old 11-20-19, 08:00 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Now we're rolling
Beat me to it. See what I did there?

The real question is whether disc or rim brakes are better for practicing crashing.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-20-19, 08:29 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I have a rim brake bike, and a hydraulic disc brake bike. I spend about the same amount of time messing with the brakes on both, cumulatively-- that is, maybe 10 minutes a year. What crappy brakes are people using that they need to futz with them all the time?
Old 11-20-19, 09:58 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Like the doc, I have both. Can’t say that I’ve spent much maintenance time on either. I have carbon rims with the discs, AL with the rims brakes. Happy with both in dry weather. Not keen on rim brakes on carbon wheels, know a few folks who have had problems. Dave at November bikes suggests with discs wheels can last a long time:

https://novemberbicycles.com/blogs/blog/forever-wheels
Likes For jimincalif:
Old 11-20-19, 11:49 PM
AWillZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want one bike to do it all, road, gravel, combination of both then I can see the advantage of being able to go from 25 or 28 to 32 or even 40 tires as needed but I was referring to road bikes and most caliper brakes will work with up to 28's...and I cant see any advantage in anything wider than that for the road.

Not sure a road race or even an "endurance" race bike is really the best choice for gravel riding and I think that as much as the one bike concept is attractive, I don't buy it. If you willing to spend big $ on a bike, decide what you want it to be.
Old 11-21-19, 01:18 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
If you want one bike to do it all, road, gravel, combination of both then I can see the advantage of being able to go from 25 or 28 to 32 or even 40 tires as needed but I was referring to road bikes and most caliper brakes will work with up to 28's...and I cant see any advantage in anything wider than that for the road.

Not sure a road race or even an "endurance" race bike is really the best choice for gravel riding and I think that as much as the one bike concept is attractive, I don't buy it. If you willing to spend big $ on a bike, decide what you want it to be.

I get all that. I ride 23s on the road and feel no need to go wider than that. I only added the bit about possible offroading as an afterthought. If my future bike never ventures off the asphalt, it will still, most likely, have disc brakes. Unless a better braking technology is invented in the meantime.

And even in terms of road bikes right now, the trend is, overall, towards discs. And the fact is, disc brakes do a better job of stopping your bike than calipers do. Yes, rim brakes will stop you perfectly well, but then, threaded headsets and bottom brackets steered and drove steel frame bikes perfectly well for a hundred years, yet they're all history now, too.

And ok, there's still a weight penalty, but as tech develops and with discs being effectively the standard now, we're already seeing the weight of disc-ready road frames come down, and that's just going to continue. While rim-brake frames get heavier as nobody at the big manufacturers keeps up the level of R&D that goes into the disc brakes.
Old 11-21-19, 03:11 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Heavier, uglier, more expensive, less aero, more finicky to adjust, and don't stop your bike any faster. You can see why everyone's jumping on the disc bandwagon. /eyeroll
Heavier? Marginally.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Less aero? Maybe. I'd like to see figures for real world drag.

More finiky to adjust? They're self adjusting. Fail.

Don't stop your bike any quicker? Now you've lost it completely.

You forgot to add discs work when wet. Something rims are still ridiculed for.

ITT -watch out for people commenting on cable discs. They're not fit for purpose much more than rims are.
Likes For MikeyMK:
Old 11-21-19, 04:21 AM
Illgot

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
[QUOTE=shelbyfv;21217099]
I understand the difference but the extra cost / weight doesn't justify the benefit (to me). /QUOTE] What else is there to say?
Riding when wet, more room for fenders, stopping power is greater but you may not need that depending on how you ride. Not everyone is concerned with every ounce they carry.
Old 11-21-19, 06:25 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Old 11-21-19, 07:27 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Because all of the cool kids are doing it...

You don't want to be left out, do you?
Old 11-21-19, 08:23 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2123 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 818 Posts
Getting ready to replace my 2009 Ridley Damocles - I am sticking with Ridley as the Damo that I have been riding / racing for 10 years has been fantastic. Probably going to a Fenix SL. I had no intention of going with disc brakes but a couple of my riding partners think I should.

I understand the difference but the extra cost / weight doesn't justify the benefit (to me). I will outfit with HED Ardennes Black wheels (no pads on carbon tracks)

Why start a conversation asking why, when you know full well nothing anyone will say will change your mind?
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 11-21-19, 08:31 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts

You race, so you have a ton of miles and plenty of experience to know if your current setup is lacking in any way. If your current setup's brakes work for all the riding you do, then you dont need a different type of brakes.
I dont touch my disc brakes and I dont touch my rim brakes. I have caliper, hydraulic disc, hydraulic-cable disc, and cantilever. None of them require maintenance beyond changing pads.

Benefit to disc- fit wider tires(quality 28-30mm is loved by many).

You race and find rim brakes to work for your needs. You are using your bike closer to the limits than probably 90% of cyclists, so if you dont want disc brakes, dont get disc brakes. Its quite simple.
Old 11-21-19, 10:10 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
Only one page after a day? Those are rookie numbers, we gotta pump those numbers up!

Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 11-21-19, 10:40 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 583 Posts
Really, we must.
Old 11-21-19, 11:32 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
More finiky to adjust? They're self adjusting. Fail.

Don't stop your bike any quicker? Now you've lost it completely.
Hydraulic discs only self adjust for pad wear. I'm willing to bet most disc brake adjustment is not for pad wear exactly but due to rubbing. Any slight rubbing is more noticeable a road bike due to less road and tire noise. What I have experienced is that the two pistons never quite extend evenly and thus you've eventually gotta loosen up the adjuster bolts and realign the caliper.

Quality rim brakes with quality pads will brake you hard enough to do an endo if you apply the brakes too aggressively so, no, discs do not stop any faster unless you have low quality pads. Bike stopping distance is limited by tire traction and how hard you can brake without flipping yourself. More clamp from the brakes does not help.
Likes For Caliper:
Old 11-21-19, 11:36 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
With a trend in road bikes towards larger tires, 28 is very common, 32 getting there, disc brakes make it much easier to get a wheel on and off the bike, compared to standard road brakes where an inflated 28 can be a pain.
Only if you are running wide tires on old narrow rims because you're needing the caliper to open up from maybe 17mm to 28mm. Pair wide tires with appropriate width rims and it's no issue.
Old 11-21-19, 12:21 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
Hydraulic discs only self adjust for pad wear. I'm willing to bet most disc brake adjustment is not for pad wear exactly but due to rubbing. Any slight rubbing is more noticeable a road bike due to less road and tire noise. What I have experienced is that the two pistons never quite extend evenly and thus you've eventually gotta loosen up the adjuster bolts and realign the caliper.

Quality rim brakes with quality pads will brake you hard enough to do an endo if you apply the brakes too aggressively so, no, discs do not stop any faster unless you have low quality pads. Bike stopping distance is limited by tire traction and how hard you can brake without flipping yourself. More clamp from the brakes does not help.
This. I am waiting for someone to explain to me how disc brakes magically make your tires grippier.
Likes For caloso:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.