Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Why are modern components black?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-31-20, 01:55 PM
Chris Chicago

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts

every crankset campy and sram sells and every shimano except the dura ace track are black. all the bikes I saw on both specialized and trek websites...black components

any insight on why is there no longer much mainstream silver ?
Old 01-31-20, 01:59 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 430 Posts
It is much cheaper to paint parts black than to polish them. Saves a ton of money.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 01-31-20, 02:00 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 482 Posts
Why are hifi components black? Why are so many cars black these days? I trace this whole "black is the new silver" thing back to Darth Vader. When he appeared, black suddenly became cool. I think it's been way overdone though. The biggest problem with black is that the second it gets dirty it looks terrible.
Likes For davester:
Old 01-31-20, 02:12 PM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 63 Posts
"I see a red door and I want it painted black
No colors anymore I want them to turn black
I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes
I have to turn my head until my darkness goes."
Old 01-31-20, 02:40 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2347 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,170 Posts
Mick remote viewing an LBS 50 years in the future:
"I see a line of bikes and they're all painted black,
No matter anyway, the frames are doomed to crack...."

Granted, a few of my C&V bikes have black components, and were spec'ed that way. But at least back then, there was some choice, some variety. All the more reason not to want modern kit on your old bike.
Old 01-31-20, 02:49 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 651 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
There's merit in the cost concession argument. However, also consider that top end components are made of carbon fibre, which is black. Consequently, black has become the colour associated with high end components. If you want to boost the sales of lower end bicycles with aluminum or even steel components, you spec components with a black finish.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 01-31-20, 02:56 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2286 Post(s)
Liked 2,025 Times in 1,243 Posts
Bikes are going goth, 40 years late. I dislike it.
Old 01-31-20, 02:58 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3447 Post(s)
Liked 2,786 Times in 1,967 Posts
Just looked - Campagnolo Potenza is available in silver- note even then some elements are black. Not shown, but mentioned in the official site pages.

who stocks silver at a decent price? Have not looked lately- the set appears decent.
an acquaintance is planning on building up a new lugged frame and using that set.
Old 01-31-20, 03:37 PM
Kuromori

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 64 Posts
People think black looks cool just like in the 80's, and black is even more of a status symbol now because carbon fiber is black. Aluminum can be painted or anodized black more easily than carbon can be painted tacky silver, and due to the prestige of carbon, it's aluminum that wants to imitate carbon, not the other way around. There's also an increasing number of plastic parts, so those end up black by default just like a Simplex Prestige unless they're painted silver, which happens sometimes with Shimano.
Old 01-31-20, 04:07 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 430 Posts
I agree with the additional points made that part of the reason for black is because of its association with carbon fiber. If you paint those cheap to midrange components black, they look like the might be carbon. Also, it's just fashion. However, I would argue that the component and bike companies play a big role in driving what becomes fashionable.

I'll stick by my initial explanation that cost was the original driving factor. Shimano and others started experimenting with painted components in the late 80s (roughly) primarily to save polishing costs. They were typically gray though, not black.

Going back another decade or two, there was some black going on in the 70s. We think now everything was all silver but it wasn't. Black was somewhat rare, and definitely associated with high end. The mid level was still pretty much all silver. In the high end, some of Campagnolo's competitors had some black components to make their gruppos look a little more trick. I'm talking about Dura Ace, Zeus, Galli, (some) Stronglight, et al. Certainly black rims when first available were seen as just insanely exotic. Martano blacks, Mavic SSC and even GP4's were introduced in the late 70s, but were highly unusual. The first black rims I saw - not counting old roadsters - were the Martano blacks that were originally on my '78 Masi. This is why a few years later in the 80s, bike companies started spec'ing black rims for everything. It made bikes seem to be higher end than they were. And here we are.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 01-31-20 at 04:14 PM.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 01-31-20, 04:11 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,559 Times in 1,574 Posts
I hate murdered-out bikes.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-31-20, 04:12 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 275 Post(s)
Quoted: 2178 Post(s)
Liked 4,479 Times in 1,731 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
There's merit in the cost concession argument. However, also consider that top end components are made of carbon fibre, which is black. Consequently, black has become the colour associated with high end components. If you want to boost the sales of lower end bicycles with aluminum or even steel components, you spec components with a black finish.
I had hoped for a more romantic reason ...

I'm afraid you're right, though.

Old 01-31-20, 04:14 PM
SurferRosa
Banned

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3844 Post(s)
Liked 6,434 Times in 3,181 Posts

Another justification provided us by the c&v gods to not give a ****.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-31-20, 04:24 PM
Kuromori

Originally Posted by non-fixie
I had hoped for a more romantic reason ...

I'm afraid you're right, though.
It does explain why all those top shelf black quill stems were so cheap compared to their polished counterparts, and why they were so undesirable during the period and everyone hated those ugly super record knuckles which looked just like simplex prestige knuckles. Or maybe black just looked cool back then. Other painted finishes are similarly cheap. Campy had some tacky silver painted components I think, Shimano has had tons of silver painted parts over the years. Early example is the champagne 105. Even their current production silver 105 has silver painted plastic. Shimano also has a rather frustrating range of grays for their lower end groups to prevent mixing and matching. It turns out silver paint looks really awful compared to black though. It's also not always just cost, sometimes the silver versions cost just as much and sometimes it's black anodization which is no cheaper.
Old 01-31-20, 04:31 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Just the Henry Ford syndrome. Any color you want.. as long as it's black.
Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 01-31-20, 04:33 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4660 Post(s)
Liked 5,741 Times in 2,261 Posts
Those of us who have been through a few marketing cycles understand that these things go in waves. I hated when black anodization became a thing when I worked at a bike shop. When a black part gets scratched, it's a silver colored scratch. When a clear anodized part gets scratched, it's silver on silver.

Polished aluminum (not anodized) is real pretty until it starts oxidizing. I've pulled and repolished my grillion dollar Compass Rene Herse cranks a couple of times in the past 6 years to repolish them.
Old 01-31-20, 04:45 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1624 Post(s)
Liked 805 Times in 522 Posts
It's just this Goth thing..... ya know....
Heck!, even bike socks went black.....we're done for!....
Old 01-31-20, 04:54 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
When hifi was silver, nothing matched closely. Every rack was different. Then, Marantz and Pioneer had to go gold. And Denon...then Harmon Kardon...the horrors.

Then it all went black, and of course some had to go charcoal, Technics...

Silvers were not all the same, either, even on the same brands. Hell, even on the same groups.

Black is cheaper to produce, crosses brand lines easily, and goes wirh color better. So when you switch from the Universal Red, White and Black bike to the Universal Green and Black bike, stuff still matches.

Plus it's slimming.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 01-31-20, 04:54 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
True today, but it seems to me that black largely replaced silver long before the advent of carbon fiber components. I actually like the look of carbon fiber components. I don't like plain old black-painted components.
Likes For davester:
Old 01-31-20, 05:02 PM
Kuromori

Originally Posted by gugie
Those of us who have been through a few marketing cycles understand that these things go in waves. I hated when black anodization became a thing when I worked at a bike shop. When a black part gets scratched, it's a silver colored scratch. When a clear anodized part gets scratched, it's silver on silver.

Polished aluminum (not anodized) is real pretty until it starts oxidizing. I've pulled and repolished my grillion dollar Compass Rene Herse cranks a couple of times in the past 6 years to repolish them.
Seems to me the ideal finish is Rustoleum rattle can silver. Unlike polished aluminum, it's weather resistant. Unlike black if it gets scuffed, it's still silver on silver. Unlike clear anodizied aluminum, if it gets scratched, it can easily be touched up. It can be used on pitting chrome parts too.
Old 01-31-20, 05:08 PM
SurferRosa
Banned

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3844 Post(s)
Liked 6,434 Times in 3,181 Posts
My deanodized and polished parts stay shiny with one exception, the seatposts. They all cloud up after a month or two. It takes ten seconds to return the shine with my dedicated Mother's rag with just its old polishing residue on it. But it's weird the seatposts do this.

I don't ride in the rain, so maybe that's why everything else stays shiny.
Old 01-31-20, 06:04 PM
madpogue 

Ahem! (Sharpie) Cough!
Likes For madpogue:
Old 01-31-20, 07:38 PM
madpogue 

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I hate murdered-out bikes.
+1; I was never a fan of the whole "murdered out" thing period. In the car world, it was like the late 'teens version of Lambo doors. Like every such "trend", it's only a matter of time before it's played out.
Old 01-31-20, 07:45 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1970s Carlton Kermesse, 1982 Peugeot PB 12

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 153 Posts
Black? Modern components are black? I am dazzled by the reflections off of my polished Stonglight 93s, TAs and Maillard 700s and hadn't noticed.
Old 01-31-20, 08:39 PM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 159 Posts
The Cannondale Black Lighting was a unique and cool bike in the late 80’s
but now that everything is black ... blah

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.