Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Which to choose?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Which to choose?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-20, 05:20 PM
Hammam Aldouri

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which to choose?

Hello All,

I was wondering if you could help me.

I will be moving homes soon and my commute will be doubling in length. I currently ride a minimum 10mile round trip to work and back (and sometimes I go into work twice a day...I am a professor at a university and class times vary on some days). My round trip ride is basically going to double after the move. So, my question concerns what kind of bike to buy and I think I have narrowed it down to two (but I am more than happy to hear other suggestions):

1. A Brompton. The main reason for this is the flexibility it gives me: I can ride it for my commute or, if pressed for time (or energy), can fold it up and jump on the train. One worry about the Brompton is the length of the commute (10 miles in and 10 miles back). To put it naively: can a Brompton handle that kind of length either daily or 3 times per working week?

2. A Touring bike of some sort (probably a Salsa Marrakesh). This would basically let me schlep all my gear (and then some!) and commute as per usual. The only downside is that the train services where I live (Philadelphia, USA) restrict the times when passengers can bring there bikes onto the train (basically, any time outside of rush hour) so there might be times when I wouldn't have the choice of jumping on the train (Please note: I very rarely jump on the train).

To the extent it is of interest: the ride is 100% roads (no gravel, no off-road, etc.) and the ride itself will just be a straight shot up and down one of Philadelphia's longest roads.

Any suggestions/comments are welcome.

Best,

Hammam
Old 03-17-20, 07:29 AM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
When my commute was that long, I used a fully rigid lightweight mountain bike with slicks and fenders or a touring bike with fenders. Both were comfortable and fast. The folder would give you flexibility to use the train anytime. Perhaps both?
Old 03-17-20, 08:02 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
You are proposing 40 miles a day? Get the fastest and most comfortable thing that you can.

Edit - I misread, it's 20. Opinion stands though. That's an hour and a half of riding, you better like the bike or be able to ignore it
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 03-17-20 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-17-20, 09:12 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
You are proposing 40 miles a day? Get the fastest and most comfortable thing that you can.
Fast is a relative terms, that depends on the engine.

I would focus more on comfort and that is very very personal.
Old 03-17-20, 09:16 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
The Brompton can handle it, but can you handle a Brompton? I test rode one for a couple days, and absolutely hated it. Couldn’t wait to get back on my regular bike.
Old 03-17-20, 09:53 AM
Hammam Aldouri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frankenmike
When my commute was that long, I used a fully rigid lightweight mountain bike with slicks and fenders or a touring bike with fenders. Both were comfortable and fast. The folder would give you flexibility to use the train anytime. Perhaps both?
Thanks for your reply. To own both would be a dream. But, alas, it can only ever exist as a dream as my beloved wife has established some (very!) strict rules about the number of bikes I can own... Suffice it to say that I can only purchase one.
Old 03-17-20, 09:55 AM
Hammam Aldouri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your response. It will actually only be 20 miles per day. Yes, comfort will be an essential aspect of what to choose. I am not worried to much about speed (although I don't want to go too slowly).
Old 03-17-20, 09:58 AM
Hammam Aldouri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your response. I think you might be correct about concentrating on comfort. Does that mean a solid touring bike with all the accoutrement or perhaps a road bike/light touring bike with more relaxed geometry? Does it rule out the Brompton?
Old 03-17-20, 10:00 AM
Hammam Aldouri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. This is a good point. I have relatively limited experience riding a Brompton and enjoyed the experience. The rides were in London and were only a couple of miles at a time so nothing quite like what I am proposing now.
Old 03-17-20, 10:16 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
The most popular answer to "what should I ride?" is always "what I ride." So that's my answer.

My commute is similar to what yours will be (20 mile round trip, unless it's a nice day in which case the return trip adds some miles). "What I ride" is a touring bike. 10 miles one way isn't too much for most conditions, snow and thunderstorms excepted. Racks that hold panniers make the ride much easier, especially in summer. Touring bike for me isn't much slower than a road bike would be, and the tourer's wider tires soaks up bumps from bad roads better than the roadie.
Old 03-17-20, 10:25 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
A couple of things. If you have secure parking, then the bike doesn't have to always go with you. Can you bring the bike up to your office if you choose to leave it overnight? So take the train home, then back the next trip.

For longer commutes, I prefer a road bike of one form or another. I've meant to try a Brompton, but haven't had the opportunity.

Something like the Pocket Rocket would be worth consideration.

It doesn't fold as compact as the Brompton, and does best with some disassembly. But, would be fine for the occasional trip home. I have a hard-case that can be towed around as a trailer (good for groceries or something). Or, just leave the case at work until you need it. Pack the bike up and take it home on the train, and tow the case back to work the next day.

A duffel might also work for stuffing in a corner at work until you need it, then put the bike in the duffel and head home, perhaps not needing as tight as a fold/disassembly to fit in the hard case.

If you go to conferences, also take your bike on the plane.

The whole bike + all trailer parts will fit in the suitcase. At least it is supposed to. I've always had a couple of trailer parts left out, but have had a place to carry the rest. Models are slightly different now.

Likes For CliffordK:
Old 03-17-20, 02:09 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Russ Roca and Laura Crawford did all sorts of touring on Bromptons a few years ago.

Their website is https://www.pathlesspedaled.com/

If you google "Pathlesspedalled Brompton Touring" and click the "videos" tap, you will see how sturdy they are.
Old 03-17-20, 04:50 PM
Hammam Aldouri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for this, and for the link. I will definitely check their videos on traveling with Brompton. I really appreciate their channel, but didn't know they uploaded videos on folding bikes.
Old 03-17-20, 04:53 PM
Hammam Aldouri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your response. If I went the touring bike route, I will definitely purchase racks, full fenders and panniers. I also like the idea of having a bike that offers you decent tire clearance (it doesn't seem like many road bikes.give you that option).
Old 03-17-20, 05:03 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Originally Posted by Hammam Aldouri
Thanks for your response. If I went the touring bike route, I will definitely purchase racks, full fenders and panniers. I also like the idea of having a bike that offers you decent tire clearance (it doesn't seem like many road bikes.give you that option).
I think that may be changing, having gone through an era where one could barely squeeze 23mm tires into the bikes. But, it varies, and I'm not sure which ones have increased clearance.

However, "Cycocross"< "Gravel", and "Touring" bikes all tend to support larger tires if you wish as well as potentially fenders and racks depending on the model.
Old 03-17-20, 11:44 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
For that long of ride not the folding bike. I would get the fastest bike that you are comfortable riding.
Old 03-18-20, 12:04 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Also, take a look at all the other great Salsa bikes. The Marrakech is the heavy duty expedition touring model. There are bikes that look better to ride in town. I’ve had my eye on the Journeyman if only because I don’t want to afford a Warbird and I suspect I’d like the flat handlebars better

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 03-18-20 at 12:15 AM.