Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Physics question: Does pedal weight matter on a stationary bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-18, 08:25 AM
nycbianchi

Bikes: Seven Axiom SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently purchased a Peloton stationary bike and immediately replaced the stock pedals with KEO pedals to match my cycling shoes. I was struck by how heavy the stock pedals were: big chunks of metal that felt like dumbells. As it happened I replaced them with some old carbon pedals which felt insanely light by comparison.

So here's the question: will lighter pedals improve my score / rankings on the various Peloton metrics which track output (as measured by cadence x flywheel resistance)? Do I have an unfair advantage when comparing scores with others?

I was debating this with my friend, @Mr_Super_Socks. He believes that -- assuming the pedals are perfectly offset and that the friction is negligible -- heavier pedals should not have any net effect on the score/effort. Although they may be harder to get going, they will have more intertia and spin longer without effort. I believe that the constant speeding up and slowing-down of a high-intensity class favors the lighter pedals.

Any physics nerds out there who can help us settle the argument?
Old 06-04-18, 08:33 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,846 Times in 2,235 Posts
You are both right.
Negligible effect, only when accelerating - splitting blonde hairs with this thread. Unless they were flat pedals, then your clipless should allow better spinning at higher cadence.
Old 06-04-18, 08:44 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I don't know how "various Peloton metrics" are scored, but in general I'd tend to agree with your friend that the heavier pedals will not be a disadvantage on the stationary bike.
Old 06-04-18, 08:44 AM
jwh20

Bikes: Felt Z5, Look 675 Light, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've not inspected a Peloton up close but I suspect it, as with most other stationary bikes, has a large and heavy flywheel. I am sure that the mass of the flywheel dwarfs the mass of the pedals. So from a theoretical viewpoint, yes, the heavier pedals will impact your ability to accelerate. But I am sure from a human-viewpoint, the different is going to be of no consequence since the mass of the bike's built-in flywheel dominates here.

Technically speaking, we have Newton's equation: F= ma, F is the force required to accelerate the flywheel, m is the mass of the system, and a is the acceleration you're attempting to achieve. Obviously if m is larger it requires more force to achieve the same acceleration.