Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Triggering Inductive Loops (Traffic Signal) on Carbon Rims

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-18, 09:17 AM
eepok

Bikes: 2012 Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi all,

I have a weight weenie buddy who, now that he's invested in carbon wheels, is finally listening to me about triggering traffic signals.
  • Quick Aside: I've seen a number of threads where many people don't understand how traffic signals are actuated. Here's a quick rundown:
    • Some traffic signals may not have any detector and may switch purely on timing.
    • Some signalized intersections have bike buttons on the side of the road. These are OK solutions if you're going straight and there's no one trying to turn right, but useless if you're trying to turn left or there's a right-turn-only lane in the way.
    • Inductive Loops run a constant current just below the asphalt surface. When something metallic comes close enough, it shorts the current which tells the signal box that there's a "vehicle" there.
    • Intersections with camera detection sense the presence of a "vehicle" and puts that lane in line for a green.
    • Even better than video, you have microwave detection which senses through pretty much anything (fog, snow, rain, etc.)
Anyway, he's now trying to find some way to reliably trip the inductive loops in our town in his solo rides. I've read that running a closed-loop copper wire inside your rims can do it. That seems light enough to suffice, but I don't to suggest it unless someone's actually tried this with good results.

There's also something called the "Veloloop" that was on Kickstarter. There's no way he's going to bother with that.

Have any of you carbon nuts figured out a reliable solution to tripping inductive loops? Have you tried the copper wire option? Did it work?
Old 08-22-18, 09:33 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
If I can't trigger it and if there aren't any cars showing up to trigger it for me, I simply run the light (which happens to be lawful in MN, and many other places, I'd assume).
Old 08-22-18, 10:28 AM
JasonD67

Bikes: BMC Teammachine SLR02 Disc, Cannondale CAAD 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I ride an aluminum bike with aluminum wheels and never have been able to trigger lights that have inductive loops (at least in the area that I ride). Only options are wait for a car or run the light.
Old 08-22-18, 10:40 AM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
If I can't trigger it and if there aren't any cars showing up to trigger it for me, I simply run the light (which happens to be lawful in MN, and many other places, I'd assume).
If it's a busy intersection, I just roll over and hit the pedestrian crossing button and get back in the lane. If there is nobody around, I play it like whyfi.
Old 08-22-18, 10:54 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Calling people "Carbon nuts" isn't a great way to start a thread and triggering traffic lights isn't even a consideration when I choose wheels.

Do inductive loops even work with aluminum? Many lights where I ride use cameras to detect vehicles.

I've heard that some motorcyclists use large rare earth magnets.
Old 08-22-18, 11:16 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
I do the same as above, wait a bit and then run the light when traffic is clear.

Thread from 2007 with some good information.

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...does-work.html
Old 08-22-18, 11:32 AM
dorkypants

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Do inductive loops even work with aluminum?
Aluminum rims can trigger inductive loops, if the loops are tuned to detect the smaller magnetic-field disruption they produce. In my area some loops aren't tuned for bicycles, but reporting the problem to the local municipal traffic department usually gets them to correct the problem.
Old 08-22-18, 11:39 AM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I didnt know crossing the street was so complicated and scientifical ....???!!!
Old 08-22-18, 11:41 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
In Oregon, it is not legal to run the light when you cannot trigger the sensor. (I do it a to and if I came before a judge, would consider playing the prejudice card, that sensors do not detect an entire class of vehicles and therefore do not give those citizens a means of crossing a public thoroughfare legally. I've been noticing these prejudices for 50 years in the 5 states I've lived in. It's getting kinda old.) The induction sensors can, I believe, be tuned for sensitivity. Sensors I have been riding over for years change periodically and are often significantly different after re-paves.

Portland has many sensors that work very well, but not everywhere. A left turn I take 200 times/year I can trigger maybe 1 in 10 times. That left is a far safer option than following the all bike-laned streets and moving left across traffic between lights at rush hour to take a left fork three blocks later. (The rest of the ride home is also on far less traveled streets and much better, safer riding despite no bike lanes. Also cleaner pavement.)

Ben
Old 08-22-18, 12:14 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Originally Posted by jitteringjr
If it's a busy intersection, I just roll over and hit the pedestrian crossing button and get back in the lane. If there is nobody around, I play it like whyfi.
Yes. This.
Old 08-22-18, 12:49 PM
eepok

Bikes: 2012 Jamis Aurora

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle
I didnt know crossing the street was so complicated and scientifical ....???!!!
Yep. It's the problem of differing state standards, grandfathered exceptions, and limited grants that allow one to upgrade the engineering/tech of a couple intersections, but then leave the rest in the past. The discontinuous standards on a single road makes it so that the "virtuous cyclist" has to become an amateur civil engineer to stay within the law.

In California, if cities do enough work to an intersection (renovate, modify, etc.), that intersection must be upgraded with Type-D inductive loops that allow a bicyclist to sit in a "box" that detects the bicycle instead of having to go tires-to-the-wires. You can tell black sealant on the ground obscuring the embedded wires. If it looks like a circle (or a square with its corners cut off) and has a diagonal line going through it, it's very likely a Type-D loop and just sitting inside the shape should trigger the signal. (More here: Detection of Bicycles at Demand-Actuated Traffic Signals)

It's kind of the issue within bicycling and engineering. Cities love to throw money at engineering because it's easy. You pay money, get plans drawn up, higher a contractor, contractor installs things-- job done. Education (telling people HOW to use stuff) is hard and its absolutely never ending because people don't care to learn until it affects them. Instead, cities tend to fall back on signage and stenciling, but signage must have so few words (and stenciling even fewer), that most people see it as hieroglyphics. (See: https://ggwash.org/view/6145/ddot-to...re-bike-signal )
Old 08-22-18, 01:02 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,528 Times in 2,865 Posts
Originally Posted by eepok
Hi all,
  • Quick Aside: I've seen a number of threads where many people don't understand how traffic signals are actuated. Here's a quick rundown:
    • Some traffic signals may not have any detector and may switch purely on timing.
    • Some signalized intersections have bike buttons on the side of the road. These are OK solutions if you're going straight and there's no one trying to turn right, but useless if you're trying to turn left or there's a right-turn-only lane in the way.
    • Inductive Loops run a constant current just below the asphalt surface. When something metallic comes close enough, it shorts the current which tells the signal box that there's a "vehicle" there.
    • Intersections with camera detection sense the presence of a "vehicle" and puts that lane in line for a green.
    • Even better than video, you have microwave detection which senses through pretty much anything (fog, snow, rain, etc.)
There is one thing you didn't mention:
Some lights switch between timing and detection, based on time of day.
There is such a light at the main entrance of my housing addition.
If I roll up to it before 7am, or after 7pm, I can trigger it instantly.
Between 7am and 7pm, it totally ignores the detection loop, and just operates on a timer.

I also know of some other traffic lights in the area with detection loops that that not only won't detect a bicycle, but won't even detect my motorcycle!
Old 08-22-18, 01:07 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I had mixed success triggering them with a 600lb motorcycle with steel wheels so have some doubts there is anything you can do to reliably trigger them on a bike regardless of the wheel material. If you come up with something, you might have a marketable product.
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
There are places where there's no ped crossing, and where the lanes to cross to the right to get to one if it existed is four lanes wide. I just roll when it's safe at that intersection. No idea if it's legal in Texas.
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
And that one won't detect an aluminum bike and wheels.
Old 08-22-18, 01:08 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I hung a magnet from the frame of a motorcycle I once owned that didn't have enough iron in it to trigger the lights...probably not a great solution for someone concerned about the weight of their bike, however.
Old 08-22-18, 01:59 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
There's one locally that never works for a bike. It's on a street that crosses a busy road but the cross road is not busy and I usually end up as the first vehicle. So far I've been able to signal cars behind me to move forward enough to trigger the sensor but some day I will just run the light and take my chances.
Old 08-22-18, 05:51 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 1,944 Times in 1,389 Posts
Left turn lanes are the real PITA. No button to push. Aluminum rims work fine for loops if they're tuned for bikes. Magnets don't do anything. It's expensive to tune a loop for bikes. One city engineer estimated $1500/ea. Which explains why it's not often done. They have to send a full work crew, set up traffic diversions, cones, etc. and then actually do the tuning work, then take the diversions back down again without anyone getting injured. I've been advised by the city to lay the bike down flat for best detection, but tuned loops usually work for upright bikes.

But back to the OP: Heavy copper wire should work. You'd have to try it at intersections with loops known to work with aluminum rims. Around here camera detection is nonexistent. Only loops.
Old 08-22-18, 06:14 PM
jwh20

Bikes: Felt Z5, Look 675 Light, Specialized Diverge

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Here in Indiana the legislature recently changed the law to cover "dead red lights" which covers most situations with bicycles. It allows a cyclist to continue through a "dead" red light after 120 seconds if it's safe to do so.

7.(b)(3)(D):

https://codes.findlaw.com/in/title-9...-9-21-3-7.html
Old 08-22-18, 06:52 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
In Oregon, it is not legal to run the light when you cannot trigger the sensor.
Not exactly true.

Oregon 2015 Senate Bill 533:
https://gov.oregonlive.com/bill/2015/SB533/

Signed into law:

Oregon ORS 811.360 (2)

(2) In addition to the provisions of subsection (1) of this section, a bicyclist or motorcyclist does not violate ORS 811.260 (Appropriate driver responses to traffic control devices) and 811.265 (Driver failure to obey traffic control device) if:
(a) The bicyclist or motorcyclist approaches an intersection where there is a traffic control device showing a steady circular red signal, a steady red bicycle signal or a steady red arrow signal;
(b) The traffic control device is controlled by a vehicle detection device;
(c) The bicyclist or motorcyclist comes to a complete stop and waits for the traffic control device to complete one full cycle; and
(d) After the vehicle detection device fails to detect the presence of the bicycle or motorcycle and change the traffic control device to a green signal, the bicyclist or motorcyclist proceeds with caution through the intersection.
This law, of course, has several faults. For example, once one arrives at the light and waits for it to go through a full cycle and nothing happens, so one chooses to proceed when traffic clears...

Then the next time one approaches the intersection, does one have to wait again?

And, of course, it fails to note what one should do if a signal completely fails to cycle (dead red).

I have chosen to take a loose interpretation of the law. The law says absolutely NOTHING about timing. So, as long as I waited a full cycle... sometime... probably... then I consider that good enough.

And... if it shows signs of failing to cycle, that is also good enough.
Old 08-22-18, 06:59 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
Originally Posted by eepok
I have a weight weenie buddy who, now that he's invested in carbon wheels, is finally listening to me about triggering traffic signals.
Has he found signals that were specifically designed to be triggered by a bicycle (in either a bike lane, or with a bike symbol designated on the road) and verified whether or not it works?

In theory, carbon fiber is electrically conductive, so it may well trigger a well designed inductive loop.

Virtually all bikes will have at least a few bits of metal. Spokes, nipples, axles, nuts, bolts, brakes, pedal spindles, tools, tire valves, etc.

If the bike triggers some light triggers, but not others, then it is a fault of the trigger system, and not a fault of the bicycle.
Old 08-22-18, 07:36 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I trigger inductive loops all the time, on my carbon bike as well as my steel bike. The trick is to get into the lane as early as possible-- often 200-300 feet before the crosswalk. Dead-center, right in the middle of the lane. Most intersections have 3 loops per lane, spaced out. If you miss the first two and only trigger the one right at the "front," the timing circuit is going to wait for another vehicle to trip a loop, and if it doesn't get one its going to continue on it's timed cycle-- meaning you can sit there for a minute or more. If a single car is coming, wait until it passes and get right behind. The more loops simultaneously triggered, the faster the lights will cycle.

I mean, I guess it's possible that they've gone out of the way to set the loop sensitivity high enough to pick up bikes. I just know that missing the first loop or two means I'm going to have to wait... unless there's no cross-traffic, then I just go.
Old 08-22-18, 08:03 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Not exactly true.

Oregon 2015 Senate Bill 533:
https://gov.oregonlive.com/bill/2015/SB533/

Signed into law:

Oregon ORS 811.360 (2)

This law, of course, has several faults. For example, once one arrives at the light and waits for it to go through a full cycle and nothing happens, so one chooses to proceed when traffic clears...

Then the next time one approaches the intersection, does one have to wait again?

And, of course, it fails to note what one should do if a signal completely fails to cycle (dead red).

I have chosen to take a loose interpretation of the law. The law says absolutely NOTHING about timing. So, as long as I waited a full cycle... sometime... probably... then I consider that good enough.

And... if it shows signs of failing to cycle, that is also good enough.
Thanks Cliff. I asked an officer a few years ago and was told it was illegal (then). He said if we were prudent, he would let it slide. I never realized the law had changed.

Ben
Old 08-22-18, 10:22 PM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Most of our newer intersections I'm told are working based on a thermal system. It sees the heat from an engine/cyclist and takes it from there. Much cheaper to implement than burying loops in the asphalt, and way, way easier to change when they fail. My experience is that they work really well except on hot days, where I may not have enough temperature differential to trip them.
Old 08-22-18, 10:39 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Well, that sure wouldn’t work out here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.