Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dust cap removal on Shimano hub

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-27-13, 10:41 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts

It appears that some water got into my rear hub (probably from washing) and it required a breakdown and re-lube. This was the first time I've done it on this bike and I have 2 questions...

For the record it is a 2013 Trek FX7.4.

1. It appears that there was no outer rubber dust seal on the non-drive side of the rear axle. Where can I get one in the USA, online or LBS? I'm not sure if it was supposed to come with one or not. I bought the bike new and have not touched the axle until last weekend.

2. On the same side there was a metal dust cap/retainer pressed into the hub. How do I remove that retainer (is it meant to be removed?)

Sorry I don't have pics and I will provide them if requested. This is an entry level Shimano hub.
Old 11-27-13, 10:56 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Many hubs don't have rubber dust seals. So, your hub might not be designed for one.

Regarding the metal dust cap, it is probably removable with careful application of a flathead screwdriver. But be very careful, because they are easily bent rendering them deformed and basically useless. A picture of the hub will help us here.

Sounds like nothing is wrong, but you just need a simple repack of the hub. This is a regular maintenance item (that is neglected by many people.)
Old 11-27-13, 11:00 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 367 Posts
According to Trek, it's a Shimano RM-30 hub you have.

Don't remove the dust cap. Just remove the left side lock nut, any spacers or washers, cone, and then the axle and right side cone will come out. Catch all the bearings on a shop rag, and then clean the inside of the hub. Put in new bearings with plenty of grease then reassemble and adjust. It'll last for years if you do this every year or two and you keep water out.

More detail: https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...and-adjustment

Your hub probably didn't come with a rubber seal. Don't worry about it.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 11-28-13, 09:19 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
As Jeff Wills recommended, it's not necessary to remove the dust cap to clean the bearing cups. You can reach under it with the tip of a rag to clean out the old grease. However, as Fastjake said, they are removable by working a flat blade screwdriver gently around the inner hole and prying it out evenly. I've even reshaped distorted dustcovers on a flat surface using a plastic hammer and punch.
Old 11-28-13, 09:48 PM
Thumpic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
As Jeff Wills recommended, it's not necessary to remove the dust cap to clean the bearing cups. You can reach under it with the tip of a rag to clean out the old grease. However, as Fastjake said, they are removable by working a flat blade screwdriver gently around the inner hole and prying it out evenly. I've even reshaped distorted dustcovers on a flat surface using a plastic hammer and punch.
You can also reshape using an appropriate sized socket as an anvil......
Likes For Thumpic:
Old 11-28-13, 11:40 PM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
https://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830800934.pdf
Old 11-29-13, 12:03 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
As Jeff Wills recommended, it's not necessary to remove the dust cap to clean the bearing cups. You can reach under it with the tip of a rag to clean out the old grease.
+1. Dustcap removal and reinstallation was one of those things that really vexed me before I realized I didn't need to do it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 11-29-13, 02:38 AM
MichaelW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Don't do it. I bent the dustcap the first time I tried.
To clean behind the cap, wipe out the grease, slosh a little solvent around, stuff some rag in and rotate. After drying, over-fill with grease till it extrudes through the gap as you spin the finished wheel. The fully packed bearings have no room for water and dirt in get in. My unsealed bearings remain clean after a wet winter of riding.
The usual seal on Shimano hubs is a rubber washer style that slots onto the cone. You need to correct size cone to fit the hub shell. If you use the wrong size you have to remove the seal.
The MTB style external rubber cap is additional to the cone seal.
Old 11-29-13, 08:31 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelW
.....over-fill with grease till it extrudes through the gap as you spin the finished wheel. The fully packed bearings have no room for water and dirt in get in. My unsealed bearings remain clean after a wet winter of riding.
Good advice. I also "overfill" all cup-and-cone hub bearings and the excess grease extrudes out for the first couple of rides and requires wiping off the exteriors a few times. It then acts as an additional seal and does a good job of protecting the bearings from dirt and water. Better to have grease leak out then crud leak in.
Old 11-29-13, 08:35 AM
Thumpic

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
If you're careful it can be removed with minimal deformation. You can then clean the hub thoroughly and repack the bearings. Its a very simple task to reshape and reinstall the seal.
Old 01-25-19, 08:19 AM
leightonwalter
steel yourself

Bikes: '80s Schwinn Super Sport, 1977 Trek TX700, 1973 Holdsworth Mistral, 1984 Schwinn Sierra (RIP)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One good reason to remove the dust cap

This is an old thread, but in any case....

There is in fact one situation when you do need to remove the dust cap -- to move it to another freehub body. The case here is a Shimano Deore DX hub that I'm switching from 7 to 8 speed. All good, but the NOS freehub body (FH-M525-A) doesn't come with a dust cap. They're semi-specific to the cones/seals/etc., that are with the axle, so that makes sense. While the dust caps for some lower-end and/or newer Shimano hubs are plastic and can be popped out with relative ease, older Deore ones are steel, and appear to be threaded into the inside of the freehub body. I tested the lever routine on a junk hub and utterly destroyed the steel dust cap -- it *really* didn't want to come out.

So how to remove such a dust cap for transfer to another freehub without damaging or destroying it? My only thought is some kind of reverse pliers, that spring outward to grab the inside of the dust cap, which could then be rotated out. No success finding such pliers such. Alternately, I can try to create a jig that will reach inside the dust cap on two opposite sides, and then pinch above/below to grab it. (Mentally it's clear how it would work, but I'm describing it poorly.) Basically, you have to be able to get a grip on something that has no flats in order to spin it out of the freehub body. Perhaps even a matching pair of tiny pliers/visegrips poking out on opposite sides, and crossed so you could grip and turn. Hmmm, still thinking...

Any suggestions welcome.

L.
Old 01-25-19, 09:28 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Bitd

to remove the dust cap on antique (but new when I bought them) Campagnolo Freewheel hubs , ... procedure

was ... when axle was removed, already ,... lay a cone wrench on the face of the dust cover

the cone wrench spread out the force.. then, using the cone wrench as the fulcrum , ..

use the tip of a flat bladed screwdriver to pry out the opposite side..

Likes For fietsbob:
Old 01-25-19, 09:40 AM
leightonwalter
steel yourself

Bikes: '80s Schwinn Super Sport, 1977 Trek TX700, 1973 Holdsworth Mistral, 1984 Schwinn Sierra (RIP)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Alas, prying won't work in this case -- the dust cap appears to be threaded into the freehub, and thus must be rotated out so as not to destroy it. The two-plyer routine might work, need to get the size right...
Old 01-25-19, 11:15 AM
fietsbob
Banned

pin face snap ring pliers perhaps, ?

but I'd join the leave them there and service the bearing balls, races behind it group, since I'm not there..

and, so, I'm not clear on why you feel a need to remove them..

good luck...

Old 01-25-19, 11:32 AM
leightonwalter
steel yourself

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I tried snap-ring plyers, they don't have enough grip on the dust-cap's inside face (plus I don't want to damage it, obvously). The reason for needing to extract it is that I'm switching the freehub, from 7 to 8 speed. The replacement freehub is NOS, and doesn't come with a dust cap. Shimano's seeming assumption was that you'd buy one to go with your specific set of cone bearings/seals, etc., and install it. But I don't have a replacement one, I only have the dust seal in the to-be-removed 7-speed freehub body. So I've got to get it out without damaging it. Alas, Sheldon Brown is no longer with us, would love to ask him.
Old 01-25-19, 11:40 AM
fietsbob
Banned

dust cap on the driver? or seller shorted you with incomplete hub missing that part.. ?
Old 01-25-19, 05:29 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
There is no rubber dust seal on that hub. You must be careful when washing your bike.
https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-FH-RM30-7S-2389C.pdf
Old 01-25-19, 08:58 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
A powerful earth magnet & a dentist pick might work.
Old 02-10-19, 11:45 AM
Nycmer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leightonwalter
This is an old thread, but in any case....

There is in fact one situation when you do need to remove the dust cap -- to move it to another freehub body. The case here is a Shimano Deore DX hub that I'm switching from 7 to 8 speed. All good, but the NOS freehub body (FH-M525-A) doesn't come with a dust cap. They're semi-specific to the cones/seals/etc., that are with the axle, so that makes sense. While the dust caps for some lower-end and/or newer Shimano hubs are plastic and can be popped out with relative ease, older Deore ones are steel, and appear to be threaded into the inside of the freehub body. I tested the lever routine on a junk hub and utterly destroyed the steel dust cap -- it *really* didn't want to come out.

So how to remove such a dust cap for transfer to another freehub without damaging or destroying it? My only thought is some kind of reverse pliers, that spring outward to grab the inside of the dust cap, which could then be rotated out. No success finding such pliers such. Alternately, I can try to create a jig that will reach inside the dust cap on two opposite sides, and then pinch above/below to grab it. (Mentally it's clear how it would work, but I'm describing it poorly.) Basically, you have to be able to get a grip on something that has no flats in order to spin it out of the freehub body. Perhaps even a matching pair of tiny pliers/visegrips poking out on opposite sides, and crossed so you could grip and turn. Hmmm, still thinking...

Any suggestions welcome.

L.

Hey, just found this post, I am in the same boat, I pried the retainer up with 3mm Allen key (short end under where the BBS are) just very gently eased it out. Haven’t jammed it into the new free hub body yet.

Old 02-10-19, 04:42 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by Nycmer
Hey, just found this post, I am in the same boat, I pried the retainer up with 3mm Allen key (short end under where the BBS are) just very gently eased it out. Haven’t jammed it into the new free hub body yet.
Installation is pretty easy, since it's designed for a one-way trip into the freehub. Before riding off, you'll want to test-install an axle and be ready to use pliers or similar tools to tweak the dustcap back into being concentric.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-10-19, 06:19 PM
Nycmer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It pushed right back in, and seems to be happy. Was unable to test ride. So, will report back catastrophic failure.
Old 09-24-20, 06:36 PM
breezwhey

Bikes: 1972 Super Mondia Special, 1989 Gazelle Champion Mondial AB, 1972 and 1977 Peugeot PX 10, 1981 Peugeot PFN 10, 1984 Peugeot PGN 10, 1981 Peugeot PH 40, 1984 Peugeot Pipeline 1, 1995 Schwinn Searcher Range, 1990 Trek 930 MTB, 1995 Trek 730

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
No dust cap on 8 speed cassette hub body

I ran into the same problem and solved it by buying a Y3CR98070 Shimano Tiagra FH-4500 Freehub Body (w/ Washer and Seal). It comes with the dust cap and washer the FH-M525-A Freehub body did not, and only cost $5 more.
Old 09-24-20, 08:51 PM
MudPie

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Thumpic
You can also reshape using an appropriate sized socket as an anvil......
Been there, done that!