Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Presta Valve Thread Size and Pitch

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-07, 01:56 PM
DPN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can't seem to find the thread size/pitch for the valve cap threads on a Presta valve.

Has anyone ever run across this dimension? I'm not referring to the threaded stem itself...just the end of the stem where the cap screws onto...

I'm making a CO2 inflator and need the right info...

Thanks,

DPN
Old 12-07-07, 02:16 PM
HDFACTORYCERTIF

Bikes: Alex Singer+ cheap mountain bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With just a thread pitch gage, it appears the threads are 1mm pitch with a 5mm outside thread diameter. I cant find a spare tube, or I would have put it on a optical comparator.
Old 12-07-07, 03:39 PM
Zouf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Al1943
My valve stems are not threaded, neither is my CO2 inflater.

Al
OP: "valve cap threads". Not stem.
Old 12-07-07, 03:59 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Zouf
OP: "valve cap threads". Not stem.
Good point!
Old 12-07-07, 04:26 PM
DPN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HDFACTORYCERTIF
With just a thread pitch gage, it appears the threads are 1mm pitch with a 5mm outside thread diameter. I cant find a spare tube, or I would have put it on a optical comparator.
That's what I was getting, too.

Is there such an animal? I have a M5 X .8 tap and die, but can't find a M5 X 1...

Thanks,

DPN

Last edited by DPN; 12-07-07 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-07-07, 06:23 PM
HDFACTORYCERTIF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats is a very coarse thread for such a small diameter. It is a special thread and not standard. My search of industrial vendors we use came up empty.
A custom tap can be ordered, but could cost $100, since it is so small with the coarse thread. A female thread would be hard to cut on a lathe but not impossible.
If you have a lathe available, a simple tap can be made of drill rod, then heat treated.
A school shop may do this for you.
Old 12-07-07, 06:27 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The CO2 inflators I have (and floor and frame pump heads also) don't thread onto the valve stem, they grasp it with a rubber washer or gasket that's either a tight friction fit or compressed around the outside of the valve stem to form a seal.
Old 12-07-07, 06:32 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Presta > schrader adaptors use this thread, too, so it must have some sort of tooling available.
Old 12-07-07, 06:51 PM
HDFACTORYCERTIF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Campy end on my old Silca pump uses a compressed rubber seal, that may be alot better way to go.
If I were to do a production run of such an item, purchasing or making taps would be economical, for a one off part, it would take a few hours to make a tap,or, a couple of hours to get it done in a lathe.
Old 01-29-09, 12:07 PM
m100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's long time since this thread was active but having failed to find a reliable source online I gave up and measured one. They are NOT metric!

0.2305" for the stem, threaded 32 tpi
0.2030" for the cap threaded 24 tpi

The thread form also looks like 55 deg not 60 deg
Old 01-29-09, 05:57 PM
krome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
#12-24tpi works.

I use a 12-24 screw to keep the inflater adapter on my bike. It is an extra long fender bolt, the little brass schader adapter screws onto it.

#12 doesn't match the spec m100 gives. The basic diameter for a 12-24 thread is .216". Don't know what the "standard" is, but I think that 12-24 is your best bet.

12-24 is kinda oddball, but available.
Old 07-25-10, 06:50 PM
Paul Koning

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's 12-24. Not M5x1.

I just made an adapter. For a template I used one I had lying around, an old Dutch Presta to Dunlop adapter. Both that adapter and the Presta valves on my tires (Hutchinson) measure .207 inches, which is well above what M5 would be but a hair below the nominal size for #12. Slightly under is believable (wear and/or low grade work); over isn't.

Also, the adapter I had comes with a rather long threaded section. It perfectly fits a #12x24 screw without any binding. So I threaded my new adapter #12x24 and it fits nicely.

FWIW, #12x24 taps (and, for that matter, M5x1 taps) are readily available by mail order, for example from Enco.
Old 05-02-12, 01:18 PM
mfrassica

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,
Can you please help, I am trying to find out the internal thread that accepts a replacable presta valve core. This is not the external threads on the valve stem or for the small cap. These are the threads that are on the inside of the stem that mate with the approx 6 external threads on the presta valve core.

I just assumed they were metric but a M4.5X.75 and M4.5X.5 do not work. It measures 4.6mm on the OD of the external threads. Any help would be great! I've asked all sorts of people and they all point back to this one thread on the web.
Old 05-02-12, 09:27 PM
Just Riding

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked at 2 presta valve cores that I had, and the external diameters measured about 4.50 to 4.55mm.

I'm pretty sure the thread pitch is 40 threads per inch (tpi), checked with a pitch gauge. This is equivalent to a pitch of about .63mm. I checked with a metric pitch gauge and neither 0.60mm or 0.65mm seemed to fit. The thread at the top of the valve core is 24 tpi, and the thread on the outside of the stem is 32 tpi, so it seems reasonable that the valve core thread is an inch based thread too.

I noticed that the thread form doesn't appear to be a standard 60 degree "V" thread. Instead it looks more like a "U"; skinny, almost vertical threads with a wide space between them.

It wouldn't surprise me if this particular thread is unique to presta valves and used on nothing else. It may be that the tooling is custom made for a small number of manufacturers, and there may only be a handful of people that can give a definitive answer to your question.
Old 06-19-19, 07:22 AM
joeminglin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mfrassica
Hello,
Can you please help, I am trying to find out the internal thread that accepts a replacable presta valve core. This is not the external threads on the valve stem or for the small cap. These are the threads that are on the inside of the stem that mate with the approx 6 external threads on the presta valve core.

I just assumed they were metric but a M4.5X.75 and M4.5X.5 do not work. It measures 4.6mm on the OD of the external threads. Any help would be great! I've asked all sorts of people and they all point back to this one thread on the web.
Any luck finding a tap?
Old 06-19-19, 08:41 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Happens to be, a non threaded band between 2 different thread sizes & types is a common machine practise ..

It the case of Presta valve stems that smooth band is where the Silca pump head gasket seals best..