Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Seatpost stuck INSIDE seattube

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Seatpost stuck INSIDE seattube

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-18, 04:10 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26415 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Triple zombie!
...more precious than platinum.
Old 04-29-19, 02:01 PM
dwkindig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a fourth necro. Just FYI, this post is the first result for "bike post fell in tube" on Google. It's clearly getting a lot of attention in the 9 1/2 years since it was started, way more than the replies alone would indicate, as suggested since Google uses clicks and linkbacks as part of their algorithm for ranking searches. This post probably deserves some sort of place of honor or distinction. Or to be locked, so there's not a fifth series of replies in one-or-more year's time.

Anyway, thought I'd just throw in that the hanger method worked fine for me. Being once-upon-a-time a pizza delivery driver in a cold climate, I've locked myself out of my car more times than I can recount and so am used to jimmying things with sturdy wire hangers: The hangers I used were steel, a little over 2mm thick, and I doubled up on them for extra leverage. Since I had trouble visualizing how it was going to work, I've attached some pictures I was going to attach some pictures, but being as it's my first post, I can't do that or post URLs. So, if anyone wants the pictures (or wants to post them for me), and you are familiar with Imgur's album URL format, you can look for album Y5MoUrz to see the three pictures I took. As you would have seen/will see, you want the hooking end to be really narrow and rather long, unless you have a super-thick bit of wire you're using, 'cause the wire will get deformed as you pull up on it.
Old 07-01-19, 06:15 AM
Leaneely

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So glad to hear this. I've been working since last night to get mine out

Originally Posted by abundantgandhi
SUCCESS! I tried the coat hanger idea before I took a trip to the hardware store to buy things for the other solutions, and the WD 40 allowed it to slide right out! Thanks again.
So good to hear this. I did try the hanger last night but gave up quickly. I've been working on this thing all night.
Old 03-22-21, 04:16 PM
Peace327

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wire Hanger Worked Like a Charm

Originally Posted by tradtimbo
Take a spoke, insert in, hook bottom of post, pull.

If one spoke is not long enough, twist two together.

coat hanger may also work. Bend a hook into it.
The wire hanger worked like a charm. Just remember to add a tiny hook at the end. Then pull like hell. Thank you very much!