Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Falcon grip shift, cable replacement, how?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-10, 08:28 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts

Am working on a neighbor kid's Huffy. It's got a Falcon-brand, six-speed grip-shift. I'd like to replace the inner cable, but can't get the thing apart.

I've tried the process outlined in the following video:

https://bicycletutor.com/grip-shift-cable/

No joy. I can't decide whether the process is wrong, or whether the shifter just a cheap part that I'm more likely to break than take apart successfully.

Is the process in the video correct for that brand of grip-shifter?

For now, I've managed to rerun the old cable. I may leave well-enough alone. But for future reference at least, I'd like be sure of the correct method.
Old 03-31-10, 10:35 AM
Torchy McFlux

Bikes: NOYB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I seem to remember that the Falcons do come apart like desribed, but require a lot more effort. I'm a fan of just trashing them and replacing with a SRAM MRX Comp. They're less than $10, include the cable, work better, and are easier to service.
Old 03-31-10, 10:47 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Ah, yes, it's that "require a lot more effort" part that has me worried. The Falcon shifter doesn't look that robust. I fear I would break it even in taking it apart correctly.

Thanks for the heads-up on the MRX Comp. I hadn't been aware of those. Having an easy replacement makes the risk of breaking the shifter much easier to take. Jenson has them for less than $9.00. I might go ahead and order one.
Old 03-31-10, 12:28 PM
Steev

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've just done this.
There's a curved cover that snaps in between the cable adjuster and the rotating part of the shifter.
Pry off the end near the cable adjuster. Then comes the difficult part. There's a plastic post on this cover that slides into the main body that will make it difficult to pry off the other end of the cover. Alternately work the cover up along the axis of the post and try to pry the cover from the main body at the grip. Takes a bit to pry to cover off.
Rotate the shifter to let out the most cable. There's probably a little round cap covering the access hole on the bottom of the cover (the one I had had this missing) Pry the cap off. Push the cable back into the shifter. You should get a loop form where the large cover was. Pull the cable out from there. then push it back into the main body of the shifter until you see the head at the access hole. Probably will need something pointy to help the head pop out. Pull out the cable. It's not much different to changing the cable on a SRAM gripshift.
Old 11-11-19, 11:02 AM
DScribble

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Comes apart just like a Sram GripShift

Rear comes apart just like a Sram GripShift (twisting portion pulls off of body) so you will have to at least remove grips. I have found taking whole shifter off makes pulling apart much easier, there is a little 2.5 mm grub screw underneath allowing shifter to slide off. be careful not to lose tab spring when pulling apart, only other loose part in there.... old sticky factory grease can be cleaned out with alcohol and replaced with some new Teflon stuff for better function (you already have it apart right?)

Front shifter (3spd) actually does have a small port in the rear (where it butts against the brake lever) where cable head anchors... I removed whole shifter to service abut probably don't have to

Last edited by DScribble; 11-11-19 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-11-19, 11:52 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Zombie Thread from 2010.