Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

6 speed shimergo question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-11, 04:32 PM
jwinsk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have an old 6 speed, shimano 600 equipped bike, that's mostly original except the rear mech is a newer (8 or 9 speed era) 105. The bike has sat unused for most of its life so has really low mileage, so my only complaint is the downtube shifters. I am intrigued by the idea of shimergo, as outlined at this page: https://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault...=3946#Shimergo

ergo 8 speed levers, or old 9 speed levers would work, but are getting harder to find and offer less of an upgrade path to more speeds in the future. ergo 10 speed levers would index right with my 6 speed freewheel if I got an old dura ace mech for the time being, and then I'd be able to have the frame spread at some point in the future and the same shifters would also index with an 8 or 9 speed cassette.

My main question so far is this: what about the extra four clicks? would the limit screws have enough range to dial these out? I've seen posts indicating that you can dial out the extra two clicks when using 10 speed shifters with an 8 speed cassette, but I worry that 4 extra clicks is too much.
Old 01-14-11, 05:31 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,263 Times in 1,645 Posts
is your current setup indexed? unfortunately you can't just put the STI "Brifters on your bike. you can't use 8 or 9 speed shifters ona 6spd freewheel. the spacing between the cogs is different, so it not simply a matter of seting the limit screws. at a minimun you would need a new 8 or 9 spd rear wheel to match your new brifters.

the bike has sat unsed simply because of the shifters?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-14-11, 05:35 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 3,483 Times in 1,912 Posts
If can get the right adapter to convert the pull ratio, then you're good to go. The limit screws are on the RD, so and should have enough range to do their job on a 6s cassette. But not, you you can sub a longer screw. As for the extra clicks, don't worry about them, you just don't use them. Set it up with them at the high end and use them to slacken the cable for service.
Just so you know, you'll be increasing the cable pulled, so it'll increase the force required. If you like light action shifting, this may work against you.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-14-11, 05:59 PM
JiveTurkey
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I think I understand what you're saying. You've found a way to index Campagnolo shifter to your 6-speed freewheel?

Well if it'll work, then it'll work. You'll need to set the limit screws as you mentioned. You can either lockout the 4 lowest or 4 highest gears. You can do either.

When you set things up, just put the shifter into whatever gear (shifter position) you want to use for the highest gear (smallest cog) with the chain on the smallest cog. Obviously, it will need to be shifter position 6 through 10, so that there are enough positions for the 5 lowest gears/largest cogs.

If you set the highest gear to be on shifter position #6, be aware that you'll still be able to upshift into 7-10, but the high limit screw won't let the rear derailleur move and so you'll just create slack.

If you decide to start in shifter position #10, then you will effectively lockout the 4 lowest shifter positions. If you try to shift into position 4, then you'll be fighting an unmovable cable. This could cause potential damage if you repeatedly and forcefully do this. (A similar issue developed for some people who locked out one of the shifter positions on their triple shifter while using a double crank).

HOWEVER, keep in mind that the brifters are the most expensive part of the drivetrain. If you're already going to get new shifters and you have a rear derailleur that will work with a modern drivetrain (if you stick to Shimano), you may want to consider just going all-out and upgrading. In your case you'd need a new rear hub/wheel, so that will increase the cost (but you'll have to pay for it eventually).

You can do the step-by-step approach, but you'll be buying an old Dura Ace RD that won't be used later on.
Old 01-14-11, 06:06 PM
jwinsk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
is your current setup indexed? unfortunately you can't just put the STI "Brifters on your bike. you can't use 8 or 9 speed shifters ona 6spd freewheel. the spacing between the cogs is different, so it not simply a matter of seting the limit screws. at a minimun you would need a new 8 or 9 spd rear wheel to match your new brifters.

the bike has sat unsed simply because of the shifters?
Yes, the current setup is indexed. I only guess that the bike sat unused for most of its life because when I bought it a few years ago, it appeared to have very few miles on it for a bike of that age. I've been riding it since.

I realize that the cog spacing is different, but according to the ctc page linked above, certain combinations of ergo levers and shimano freewheels or cassettes will work together because the "incorrect" cable pull accounts for the wrong cog spacing. When you throw an old dura-ace derailleur into the mix, which expects a different cable pull than other shimano mechs, you get even more possibilities. You can also trick the derailleur into working with other combinations through an alternate cable routing.

So apparently lots of possibilities, but since keeping the existing wheel seems cheapest for now, I was hoping someone could confirm whether 10 speed ergo levers would actually work in practice with a 6 speed freewheel and an old dura ace mech, or whether it's just noted in the table because the indexing works out, but is not really practical.
Old 01-14-11, 06:16 PM
jwinsk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey
I think I understand what you're saying. You've found a way to index Campagnolo shifter to your 6-speed freewheel?

Well if it'll work, then it'll work. You'll need to set the limit screws as you mentioned. You can either lockout the 4 lowest or 4 highest gears. You can do either.

When you set things up, just put the shifter into whatever gear (shifter position) you want to use for the highest gear (smallest cog) with the chain on the smallest cog. Obviously, it will need to be shifter position 6 through 10, so that there are enough positions for the 5 lowest gears/largest cogs.

If you set the highest gear to be on shifter position #6, be aware that you'll still be able to upshift into 7-10, but the high limit screw won't let the rear derailleur move and so you'll just create slack.

If you decide to start in shifter position #10, then you will effectively lockout the 4 lowest shifter positions. If you try to shift into position 4, then you'll be fighting an unmovable cable. This could cause potential damage if you repeatedly and forcefully do this. (A similar issue developed for some people who locked out one of the shifter positions on their triple shifter while using a double crank).

HOWEVER, keep in mind that the brifters are the most expensive part of the drivetrain. If you're already going to get new shifters and you have a rear derailleur that will work with a modern drivetrain (if you stick to Shimano), you may want to consider just going all-out and upgrading. In your case you'd need a new rear hub/wheel, so that will increase the cost (but you'll have to pay for it eventually).

You can do the step-by-step approach, but you'll be buying an old Dura Ace RD that won't be used later on.
Thanks for the advice, and I'll definitely put some thought into whether to just stick with shimano and get the frame spread.

Originally Posted by FBinNY;
If can get the right adapter to convert the pull ratio, then you're good to go. The limit screws are on the RD, so and should have enough range to do their job on a 6s cassette. But not, you you can sub a longer screw. As for the extra clicks, don't worry about them, you just don't use them. Set it up with them at the high end and use them to slacken the cable for service.
Just so you know, you'll be increasing the cable pulled, so it'll increase the force required. If you like light action shifting, this may work against you.
Thanks. Any idea where to find longer limit screws? I doubt my local hardware stores stock screws that small. Would that be the kind of think a bike shop would carry or is it too unusual of a request?
Old 01-14-11, 07:04 PM
revolator
ROAD enthusiast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you had a shimano 7 speed cassette hub wheel. You could put a shimano 10 speed (minus 1 cog), and run shimergo with campy 10 speed shifters with the 9 in the rear.
Old 01-14-11, 07:36 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Liked 106 Times in 83 Posts
I can't for sure that your idea will or won't work, but Sheldon ran Ergo shifters with a 6-speed freewheel on his Brown:

"Most recently, further in the spirit of breaking the rules, I installed a set of Campagnolo Veloce 10-speed Ergo shifter...still with the 30 year old Cyclone and the 6-speed Regina Oro freewheel...and that works too!"

https://sheldonbrown.org/brown/index.html (Scroll down to "Later Equipment Changes")

Originally Posted by JiveTurkey
HOWEVER, keep in mind that the brifters are the most expensive part of the drivetrain. If you're already going to get new shifters and you have a rear derailleur that will work with a modern drivetrain (if you stick to Shimano), you may want to consider just going all-out and upgrading.
I agree. Brifters are very expensive, and if you're willing to shell out the cash for them you might as well get a new rear wheel too and run however many speeds you want (since your 105 RD can handle it.)
Old 01-14-11, 08:52 PM
jwinsk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake

I agree. Brifters are very expensive, and if you're willing to shell out the cash for them you might as well get a new rear wheel too and run however many speeds you want (since your 105 RD can handle it.)
True that brifters, cables, and stops alone will be expensive, but I'd rather not have to shell out the extra all at once to have the frame spread and get a new wheel, cassette and chain too. Just an old dura-ace mech, although useless further down the road, seems a more managable solution until I really need to replace my rear wheel.
Old 01-14-11, 10:23 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Liked 106 Times in 83 Posts
Another thought: have you considered bar-end shifters? I put them on my downtube shifter bike to avoid buying brifters. You could get a Shimano Hyperglide 7-speed freewheel, 8 speed bar end shifters and (in my experience) you could get it to index pretty well. I don't think you'd have to spread your frame with the 7-speed freewheel.
Old 01-15-11, 01:41 AM
Dave Mayer

Liked 524 Times in 305 Posts
Originally Posted by jwinsk
I have an old 6 speed, shimano 600 equipped bike, My main question so far is this: what about the extra four clicks? would the limit screws have enough range to dial these out? I've seen posts indicating that you can dial out the extra two clicks when using 10 speed shifters with an 8 speed cassette, but I worry that 4 extra clicks is too much.
You are correct. Campagnolo 10-speed Ergopower shifters pull the right amount of cable when used with an old (pre-1997) Dura-Ace rear derailleur to index correctly with a 6-speed Shimano HG or Uniglide cassette or freewheel.

Ignore the rest of the muddled and irrelevant postings here - the understanding of how index shifting works is limited to a very small number of cyclists; even only few shop mechanics understand the proper relationship between the shifter cable pull, the rear derailleur mechanical advantage and rear cog spacing.

The limit screws on the rear derailleur will lock out the 4 extra positions on the shifters. There are no negative effects. Make sure you do carefully adjust the limit screws to work with the 6-speed freewheel, as you don't want the derailleur jumping into the spokes.

Downsides:

Old Dura-Ace rear derailleurs were designed for racing cogsets. They handle a 26 tooth max cog. In my experience a Suntour Accushift mountain derailleur has the same mechanical advantage as old Dura-Ace. These will handle much bigger cogs.

Suggestion:

For a much cheaper and conventional approach to integrated brake/shift levers, buy some Shimano Sora 7 or 8-speed shifters, get a basic Shimano rear derailleur (not old Dura-Ace - almost anything else made in the last 25 years will do, including the Shimano MTB stuff), and change your 6-speed freewheel for 7-speed Shimano HG freewheel ($15). The width of the 8 and 7-speed freewheels is close. This way you will not have to do expensive overhaul/mods on your rear wheel.
Old 01-15-11, 01:45 AM
Dave Mayer

Liked 524 Times in 305 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
The width of the 8 and 7-speed freewheels is close. This way you will not have to do expensive overhaul/mods on your rear wheel.
Correction: I should have written that the width of 6 and 7-speed freewheels is close. Both fit in bikes that have 126mm stays.
Old 01-15-11, 06:46 AM
NightShift

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Campy 10 shifters pull 2.5mm five times, 3mm twice and 3.5mm twice.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ity?highlight=

If DaveSSS is correct Campy and Shimano shifters have different cable pull across their range, and the action of their derailers varies across the range of motion. If this is true you may still be able to use 10 speed ergos with a 6 speed freewheel, but which six clicks you use would make a great deal of difference.

Last edited by NightShift; 01-15-11 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-15-11, 08:31 AM
jwinsk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Downsides:

Old Dura-Ace rear derailleurs were designed for racing cogsets. They handle a 26 tooth max cog. In my experience a Suntour Accushift mountain derailleur has the same mechanical advantage as old Dura-Ace. These will handle much bigger cogs.
good to know

Suggestion:

For a much cheaper and conventional approach to integrated brake/shift levers, buy some Shimano Sora 7 or 8-speed shifters, get a basic Shimano rear derailleur (not old Dura-Ace - almost anything else made in the last 25 years will do, including the Shimano MTB stuff), and change your 6-speed freewheel for 7-speed Shimano HG freewheel ($15). The width of the 8 and 7-speed freewheels is close. This way you will not have to do expensive overhaul/mods on your rear wheel.
I was originally considering this approach, but was attracted to the veloce levers because they would neatly route the shifter cables under the tape and and would give me the 9 speed option further down the road. Maybe 7 for now and 8 later would be enough for this bike though, I will have to give it some thought.
Old 01-15-11, 08:37 AM
jwinsk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake
Another thought: have you considered bar-end shifters? I put them on my downtube shifter bike to avoid buying brifters. You could get a Shimano Hyperglide 7-speed freewheel, 8 speed bar end shifters and (in my experience) you could get it to index pretty well. I don't think you'd have to spread your frame with the 7-speed freewheel.
I haven't really considered bar end shifters, but I guess it's an option. I think you're right about a 7 speed freewheel fitting my frame. I've considered several options involving a 7 speed freewheel, but they offer less future upgradability.
Old 01-15-11, 08:05 PM
jwinsk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NightShift

If DaveSSS is correct Campy and Shimano shifters have different cable pull across their range, and the action of their derailers varies across the range of motion. If this is true you may still be able to use 10 speed ergos with a 6 speed freewheel, but which six clicks you use would make a great deal of difference.
Didn't know that. Thanks.
Old 01-15-11, 08:12 PM
jwinsk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revolator
If you had a shimano 7 speed cassette hub wheel. You could put a shimano 10 speed (minus 1 cog), and run shimergo with campy 10 speed shifters with the 9 in the rear.
Campy 10 speed shifters with shimano 10 speed spaced cogs isn't one of the combinations that works, although I did consider trying to find a 7 speed cassette hub wheel at one point and doing just what you mentioned with shimano 10 speed shifters. Didn't have much luck finding an old 126mm cassette hub wheel though.
Old 01-15-11, 09:52 PM
revolator
ROAD enthusiast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Campy 10 speed shifters with shimano 10 speed spaced cogs isn't one of the combinations that works, although I did consider trying to find a 7 speed cassette hub wheel at one point and doing just what you mentioned with shimano 10 speed shifters. Didn't have much luck finding an old 126mm cassette hub wheel though.
- Yes I mistated, should be campy 10 speed, with Shimano 9 speed (w/one cog removed) 4.35 pull vs 4.34 pull (std shimano, not old dura ace)
- I had a brand new wheelset Shimano 7sp w/ campy Ofmega rims I gave away. You can try to ask if anyone on this site has a used one for cheap? The effort might negate itself, but any Shimano Mtb 7 speed cassette hub would work.

To throw in another cheaper option: Jagwire Barcon adapters https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...barcon&x=0&y=0
- convert the DT to barend shifters.
Old 01-15-11, 11:11 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Liked 732 Times in 519 Posts
ergo 10 speed levers would index right with my 6 speed freewheel if I got an old dura ace mech for the time being
IIRC, Shimano shifters use different amounts of cable travel between different gears, unlike Campy.

Presumably Campy derailleurs have a much more linear relationship between cable pull and derailleur movement. I've noticed Sheldon can be a little slap-dash when it comes to the finer points of drivetrain compatibility...

Perhaps this setup can be tuned to work perfectly, but I wouldn't be surprised if the best you could manage is slightly sub-optimal.

Now that I've read the whole thread,

Originally Posted by NightShift

That would definitely matter, I'd say... it will prolly take some trial and error to get it working sweetly.

I think you're right about a 7 speed freewheel fitting my frame. I've considered several options involving a 7 speed freewheel, but they offer less future upgradability.
I'd consider rebuilding the wheel (keep the spokes if they're undamaged) around an 8spd freehub. If you're not a big guy, you can try doing it with more dish and space the hub to 128mm, if you really want to avoid re-setting your frame. If you are a big guy, re-setting it to 135mm would probably be a good move (although such a large change would almost certainly require tweaking the dropouts back to parallel).

IMO there's no good reason road bikes shouldn't have 135mm OLDs. A 2.5mm compromise in chainline versus the extra strength of the rear wheel you can spend on durability or a lighter rim is a no-brainer for me...

I wonder how close you could get spoke tensions with the right lacing, an OCR, and 135mm OLD...

Last edited by Kimmo; 01-15-11 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-16-11, 02:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
Strip the gizzards out of the <C> levers, then they're just brake levers.

friction shifting elsewhere, bar end , down tube or 'Kelly take offs' to put downtube levers
inside of the brake levers..

with a little hand labor, any combination will work.
Old 01-16-11, 06:11 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Ye gods man, there's no call for such heresy as losing the whole point of the Ergos.

Sheesh.
Old 01-16-11, 10:38 AM
jwinsk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
IIRC, Shimano shifters use different amounts of cable travel between different gears, unlike Campy.
Apparently campy shifters do too:

Originally Posted by DaveSSS;
Campy 10 shifters pull 2.5mm five times, 3mm twice and 3.5mm twice.
If I can't get it to work well with my 6 speed freewheel though, I suppose I can take the plunge and go to an 8 speed or 9 speed shimano cassette hub. I'll consider a 135mm hub like you suggest, since I am a pretty big guy (190lbs), so I'd probably want my LBS to cold set the frame and check that the dropouts stay parallel.
Old 01-16-11, 11:09 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
Strip the gizzards out of the <C> levers, then they're just brake levers.
Hey they <C>sell them that way, too, Carbon brake lever and all.
Ye gods man, there's no call for such heresy as losing the whole point of the Ergos.
6 speed shifts so nicely without indexing , because of the space between cogs ..
Ultra 6 begat 7,8.. then 9,etc,

gear heads [shakes head]

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-16-11 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-17-11, 12:14 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 3,483 Times in 1,912 Posts
Originally Posted by anyuta34i
When the 10 morning arrived ... SPAM SPAM, etc.
So does this kind of B/S spam actually generate business for the spammers?

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-17-11, 12:24 AM
Kimmo

How about a DDOS for your trouble, scumbag...

Originally Posted by fietsbob
6 speed shifts so nicely without indexing , because of the space between cogs ..
Ultra 6 begat 7,8.. then 9,etc,
It also indexes beautifully, due to the space between cogs.

It occurs to me that Ergolevers are the only brifter that would lend themselves to be converted to friction...

Friction Ergos would be sweet! What compatibility drama?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.