Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Derailleur In Correct Position?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-11, 09:24 AM
effortDee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

Recently swapped an old Shimano derailleur for this new Tourney, just something cheap to get the bike back on the road.

I have noticed the end of the frame does not extend like my other bikes, Raleigh Flyer and Dawes Amora. On the other two frames there is an extra part of the frame the derailleur fits on.

This is not aparent with the Saracen frame and instead just two holes of 5mm around the real axle quick release nut. Am i meant to be placing the derailleur in like i have shown in the pics?

Thanks

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...x/DSCF0003.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...DSCF0009-1.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...DSCF0011-2.jpg
Old 04-02-11, 09:33 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 3,480 Times in 1,911 Posts
No, your derailleur is not mounted correctly.

The hanger that came mounted to the derailleur is designed to slide into a forward entry horizontal dropout of the type used for many decades. Mounting it as you did won't work because it effectively closes your vertical dropout.

I see that the frame does have extra holes, and these may (or may not) be for a specific hanger made for the job. Check with the manufacturer, or where you got the bike. Of there is a correct hanger, it mounts to the frame, and replaces the hanger that came with the RD.

If there isn't a hanger made specifically for the frame, you'll have to improvise one or modify the one on the RD so it'll work properly.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 04-02-11 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-02-11, 10:27 AM
effortDee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I have checked the hanger which came with the original Shimano Acer X derailleur and it seems you're right.

But I have also managed to get it all assembled and stolen some parts from the front derailleur i have gotten rid of, just 8 speed you see.

Just been for a ride and out of the 5 push bikes in our house its the smoothest I have felt as far as crank/rear gears are concerned.

So do I really need to find a hanger that will fit it? It seems the hanger on the other/older I replaced would have just sat in the same position, bolted to the frame and then sit within the rear quick release nut.

It shifts up and down the 8 gears effortlessly and this is with minimal work on aligning everything too.
Old 04-02-11, 10:46 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 3,480 Times in 1,911 Posts
Originally Posted by effortDee
So do I really need to find a hanger that will fit it? It seems the hanger on the other/older I replaced would have just sat in the same position, bolted to the frame and then sit within the rear quick release nut.
The first rule of mechanics is what works trumps theory. I wasn't as concerned with your getting the RD to work, but in ease of wheel removal since the slot in the hanger is almost at right angles to your vertical dropout effectively blocking wheel removal. If you're willing to live with having to move the hanger to change the wheel it fine.

I suggest you keep riding it this way while checking to see if there's a correct made to fit hanger for your bike. Hangers aren't expensive, and having the right one will make service easier, even though it apparently isn't necessary

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-02-11, 10:59 AM
effortDee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will see how it is over the next two weeks.

Did notice that I would have a problem getting the wheel out but didn't think nothing of it until you mentioned above.

Will definately be sourcing a new hanger if they are cheap as it's what I am use to.

Thanks so much for your help!