Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Scott CR1 derailleur hanger

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-05, 03:53 AM
Old Gammy Leg
Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just wondering if anyone can tell me why the CR1 frame does not have a replaceable derailleur hanger. There is a metal assembly bonded to the carbon, but if it gets bent or damaged it looks like it's new frame time. Why?
Old 03-28-05, 05:28 AM
berny
sundy hopeful

Bikes: Connondale MTB, Malvern Star (historic) Orbea, GT (newest)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think a carbon repair to re-attach the hanger is a lot simpler than repairing an integrated metal frame which was the reason for making the bolt on hangers in the first place, and, integrated hangers are lighter.
Old 03-28-05, 07:27 AM
Phatman

Liked 108 Times in 60 Posts
a replaceable hanger would probably add 7.023442234221 grams to the weight o the frame.
Old 03-28-05, 08:10 AM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No replaceable derailleur hanger?

That's too bad.

In defense of the Scott CR-1. When would a derailleur hanger bend on a CF frame?

Is there anything to really worry about here?

Last edited by 53-11_alltheway; 03-28-05 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-28-05, 08:38 AM
ShinyBaldy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Gammy Leg
Just wondering if anyone can tell me why the CR1 frame does not have a replaceable derailleur hanger. There is a metal assembly bonded to the carbon, but if it gets bent or damaged it looks like it's new frame time. Why?
I think you'll find far more non-replaceable deraileur hangers on composite frames nowadays... esp ones with the intention of being the lightest around. Manufacturers can usually repair it for you by melting the bonds and replacing it.

But if you're looking for a crash worthy frame - don't look at superlights or the CR1. Tubing is too thin, whether you're talking about composite or aluminium. (Altho generalyl composites do better below 1000 grams than alum would).
Old 03-28-05, 08:46 AM
sydney

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ShinyBaldy
I think you'll find far more non-replaceable deraileur hangers on composite frames nowadays... esp ones with the intention of being the lightest around. Manufacturers can usually repair it for you by melting the bonds and replacing it.
Think about it. A replaceable hanger might add a few grams if that.The answer is that on composite frames the whole dropout can be replaced,but it cost more and is a much bigger PITA to have done.
Old 03-28-05, 09:25 AM
Waldo
Zippy Engineer

Bikes: Bianchi 928, Bianchi Pista Concept 2004, Surly Steamroller, 1998 Schwinn Factory Team Homegrown, 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory, 2000 Schwinn Panther, Niner EMD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^
Exactly, especially considering the vast majority of the CF bikes are not even constructed in the states...so is the bike really going back to Taiwan for said repair or is the company more likely just to cut their losses, expedite things, and send you a new frame?
I'm digging that heavy aluminum hanger on my CF bike. Intelligent design is your friend; design for light weight without practical considerations is not.
Old 03-28-05, 09:28 AM
Old Gammy Leg
Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, I know it's not just the CR1, it seems to be a growing trend with composite road frames.

But I can't really see the advantage of not having a replaceable hanger. Obviously in a crash situation it is much more likely that this type of frame will be destroyed than, say, a steel frame. But is my CR1 any less strong in a crash than, say, a CAAD7...? I don't think so, but let's not open up that can of worms. But a derailleur hanger can be bent or damaged in other ways, would be nice to have the option to fix it myself, and I can't see wh there is a growing trend away from this.
Old 03-28-05, 01:09 PM
ShinyBaldy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sydney
Think about it. A replaceable hanger might add a few grams if that.The answer is that on composite frames the whole dropout can be replaced,but it cost more and is a much bigger PITA to have done.

Hey I'm not defending or justifying the design. I'm just telling it as it is - the movement is going for minimialism, both for weight weenie points as well as manufacturing ease. It is probably cheaper to make a single dropout with a deraileur mount than having to hire a high school graduate to install it on a dropout after the frame is completed. Obviously it isn't a big enough a sacrifice for a lot of people to decide their business, else consumer research would have probably uncovered it and manufacturers would market that as a selling point.

But you'll probably only find small custom build guys who'll market that point... they don't have the means to deal with the extra inbound repair work if people can DIY at the LBS or home.
Old 03-28-05, 01:11 PM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just curious how much labor and $ are we talking about to replace a drop-out on a CF frame?
Old 03-28-05, 07:00 PM
berny
sundy hopeful

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How many people have had to replace the d/hanger?? In 12years of social riding on and off road, and racing (not wanting to upset the crash gods) I've never had to do it nor have any of the people I ride with, that I know of, though I think one needed straightening after a fall. Is it such an issue???
Old 03-28-05, 07:06 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Waldo
I'm digging that heavy aluminum hanger on my CF bike. Intelligent design is your friend; design for light weight without practical considerations is not.
Ditto. I am sure that some out there will scoff at the heavy chunky replacable dropout on my CF frame but I take comfort in the design. Also, I can replace it with horizontal dropouts if I ever want to turn the bike into a singlespeed.

Old 03-28-05, 07:07 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by berny
How many people have had to replace the d/hanger?? In 12years of social riding on and off road, and racing (not wanting to upset the crash gods) I've never had to do it nor have any of the people I ride with, that I know of, though I think one needed straightening after a fall. Is it such an issue???
I've replaced the dropout on my MTB twice since I've had it... mainly due to crashes. I have several spares on hand. I even carry one in my CamelBak.
Old 03-28-05, 07:13 PM
berny
sundy hopeful

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by khuon
I've replaced the dropout on my MTB twice since I've had it... mainly due to crashes. I have several spares on hand. I even carry one in my CamelBak.
The CR1 ain't no mountain bike
Old 03-28-05, 07:14 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by berny
The CR1 ain't no mountain bike
No... but the poster to which I was responding had mentioned offroad riding.
Old 03-28-05, 07:24 PM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too much hype surrounding weight of bike components at the cost of functionality sometimes. I wish they put a deraileur hanger on that CR-1.
Old 03-30-05, 04:37 PM
berny
sundy hopeful

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No... but the poster to which I was responding had mentioned offroad riding.
point taken
Old 03-30-05, 10:05 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Ditto. I am sure that some out there will scoff at the heavy chunky replacable dropout on my CF frame but I take comfort in the design. Also, I can replace it with horizontal dropouts if I ever want to turn the bike into a singlespeed.
Looks very similar to the hanger on my LOOK. I never even thought about the possibility of converting to a single speed by replacing the dropouts but I could do that too. Cool.
Old 03-31-05, 07:57 AM
ewitz
Banned.

Bikes: specialized allez pro, giant tcr composite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bent the derailleur hanger on my TCR Comp. The repair was a $20/20 min job. I would prefer that to any type of repair that required stripping the components off the frame so that the manufacturer can repair/replace the frame.
Old 09-20-10, 12:09 AM
roadrash1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cracked Derailleur hanger on my 2009 Scott CR1 Bike

Does anyone know the best way to get a cracked derailleur hanger on my Scott CR1 fixed? The best I could think off is TIG weld it.
Old 09-20-10, 09:36 PM
roadrash1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amen to that. Some Scott bikes have demountable derailleur hanger.
Originally Posted by 53-11_alltheway
Too much hype surrounding weight of bike components at the cost of functionality sometimes. I wish they put a deraileur hanger on that CR-1.
Old 09-21-10, 06:17 AM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Liked 48 Times in 31 Posts
None of the current Scott models (2010 on) have integrated dh's. They were there to assure alignment/stiffness in the original CR1 design that came out in maybe 2004?

I bent the dh on my '06 CR1 SL (RIP...). My chain opened on one side of the connecting link, and it wrapped the rd, and dh around the hub. After checking with Calfee, I decided to buy the Addict R3 under Scott's crash replacement policy. Calfee works with Scott to obtain the replacement hanger. After killing one frame, I just didn't want to risk it a second time.

Prior to that, I'd bent the hanger slightly during routine transit in my car, and the bike shop was able to straighten it out. I've had to replace dh's on my mtn. bike after just getting a stick caught in the chain, so it's really quite easy to bend one beyond repair.

Also, when I did the frame replacement with Scott, they had the local dealer cut out the bottom bracket portion of the frame to assure it wouldn't be used again. I took the remains of the frame, and did a "destructive test" of what was left. The frame broke up like paper mache. It was most unsettling. The layup of the new Scotts is totally different and seems to be much more robust. I really love my Addict. But I really loved my CR1 SL while I was riding it too.

If you have an older Scott with an integrated dh, get a sacrificial bolt to attach the rd to the hanger. The bolt MAY break off before the hanger bends beyond repair.

Once again, this is not an issue with new Scotts, and was never an issue with the Addict (to the best of my knowledge).
Old 09-21-10, 06:25 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 53-11_alltheway
In defense of the Scott CR-1. When would a derailleur hanger bend on a CF frame?

Is there anything to really worry about here?
A buddy of mine has had to replace two on his Fuji SL1 so far. Unfortunately when racing crashes happen and sometimes the derailleur hanger takes the brunt of it. Much easier to bolt on a new hanger than to have to send the frame back to the manufacturer to do it.
Old 09-23-10, 06:37 AM
roshea
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadrash1
Does anyone know the best way to get a cracked derailleur hanger on my Scott CR1 fixed? The best I could think off is TIG weld it.
Your local Scott dealer should be able to get it fixed for you.