Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Drying your cycling clothes while at work?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-06, 12:00 PM
eplbrooklyn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tomorrow will be my first day bike commuting.
I am able to drive in one day per week with clothes for work.
We have a shower, but limited "locker room" space.

Thank you in advance for any hints/tips/ideas you can provide on drying cycling clothes between the morning and evening commutes.
Old 01-09-06, 12:08 PM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
If your clothes don't stink, then you could try to find a spot to hang them up during the day. Look for someplace unobtrusive so your coworkers don't have to look at your laundry. Maybe underneath your desk or in a broom closet if your management is supportive.

Otherwise, don't worry about it. Or, if it really bothers you to put on damp clothes in the afternoon, take a second set of cycling clothes with you for the trip home. They're pretty lightweight.
Old 01-09-06, 12:09 PM
Map tester
I am not a car

Bikes: Giant Revel 1, Surly Ogre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The top of a monitor is great for drying gloves and head gear. I have a cubicle at work, so I hang things to dry in a corner you can't see just walking by. A small electric heater is great for boots and socks, and for warming feet on *really* cold mornings.
Old 01-09-06, 12:11 PM
Da Tinker
Can't ride enough!

Bikes: IFab Crown Jewel, Giant Defy, Hardtail MTB, Fuji finest, Bianchi FG conversion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some folks hang stuff under their desk to dry. Back of my office door on a plastic hangar works for me.
Old 01-09-06, 12:14 PM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by supcom
...Or, if it really bothers you to put on damp clothes in the afternoon, take a second set of cycling clothes with you for the trip home. They're pretty lightweight.
That is what I do. I hang my jacket up in my cubicle, and use the monitor vents for my gloves/balaclava. Cycling shorts and base layer top (Underarmour cold gear) I carry a second set for the afternoon ride, keeping the morning ride clothes in a plastic bag.
Old 01-09-06, 12:21 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6228 Post(s)
Liked 4,231 Times in 2,373 Posts
I hang mine where I park my bike, under the fire escape stairs. I didn't ask permission but after 10 or 15 (or even 20 years) they've become a fixture. No one questions it. I'm not even sure anyone notices it anymore.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-09-06, 12:29 PM
Jarery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I park my bike in my office.
Its an older building and it uses electric baseboard heating. I had a special hanger made that is a sloping bar with 8 bimps welded onto it to space out hangers that hangs from the windows security grid.

It holds 8 hangers which is lots and holds all my clothes just above the base board heater. All of it is hidden from paserby's behind my computer. I also have a small fan that is aimed at them so they are always dry by days end.

Gloves i dry on my monitor. Hope you dont use lcd screens
Old 01-09-06, 12:36 PM
DataJunkie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a jacket hanger on the outside of my cube. It has 2 hooks. One holds my shell and the other holds whatever base layer I am drying. I never have issues with anything being wet besides my shirts.
I suppose that will change if we ever get any percipitation.
Old 01-09-06, 12:40 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I hang it next to the boiler in the boiler room. Nice and warm.
Old 01-09-06, 12:57 PM
lala
contrarian

Bikes: 80's ross road bike/commuter, 80's team miyata, 90's haro mtb xtracycle conversion, koga mitaya world traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are these just sweat-wet or are you rinsing them? I hang the less 'intimate' items on a hanger on my cubical wall, other stuff goes over boxes under desk/side table.
Old 01-09-06, 01:12 PM
thdave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I throw my wet tee in a corner and it is mostly dry by the time I go home. I wish I had a better way of doing it, but I've got the same problem you have.

The key for me it to dress properly--I'm cold to start my trip and by 5 minutes into it I should be ok. 15 minutes later I'm sweating some. My typical commute is 25 minutes. I use a rack bag instead of a backpack, which causes much more sweating.

The only thing I change is my tee. I don't change pants. Also, I wipe off in the sink, if need be.

I cycle harder on the way home as I can let it out a little more, if the spirit moves me.
Old 01-09-06, 01:30 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by eplbrooklyn
Tomorrow will be my first day bike commuting.
I am able to drive in one day per week with clothes for work.
We have a shower, but limited "locker room" space.

Thank you in advance for any hints/tips/ideas you can provide on drying cycling clothes between the morning and evening commutes.
The easiest thing to do is just get used to putting on damp clothes. While putting on cold wet jerseys and socks is no fun, they're really not bad after you've been in them for about 3 minutes.

What you can do to dry things depends greatly on the physical characteristics of your workplace and level of tolerance for visible personal items. If you can hang things anywhere near an intake or ventilation duct, you'll find they dry much faster.
Old 01-09-06, 02:24 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't wear bike clothes on my commute. Just a polyester t-shirt or silk undershirt, both of which dry quickly while wearing. I put a regular shirt or sweater in my bag and put it on after I dry off.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 01-09-06, 02:25 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yes... hang your sweaty dirty clothes on the intake ahead of the make up air unit at your office...
Old 01-09-06, 02:50 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
The easiest thing to do is just get used to putting on damp clothes.
No, no, no, no, no.
I park my bike near my desk and drape everything over the bike. For things that are really wet, use a coat hanger on the back of the door.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 01-09-06, 02:57 PM
geraldatwork

Bikes: 2005 Windsor Kennet, 1982 Raleigh Super Course

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get wicking base layer clothing. When I go out in the cold I wear thin wicking base layers and a cotton turtle neck over that. The turtle neck gets drenched but the two, or one if it isn't that cold stay relatively try. By their nature even if the base layers are slightly damp when you take them off they will dry quite quickly if you just drape them over a chair for an hour or so. So if nothing else when you dress again your base layers will be dry.
Old 01-09-06, 03:02 PM
mac
They see me rollin'

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale T2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My boss is really cool about it and I can park my bike and all my gear in the back of my cube. I rinse off my jersey since it's full of sweat on a hot summer morning and hang it on the coatrack. No one else uses it. The rest of my stuff I drape over the top-tube and handlebars. I turn them over in the middle of the day to dry the other sides.
Old 01-09-06, 03:04 PM
DataJunkie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have removed all cotton items from my commuting gear. I use a synthetic long john as a middle layer or a light poly shirt depending on the weather.
Another popular insulation layer is wool. I wonder how long that takes to dry?
Old 01-09-06, 03:08 PM
tajsss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hang some stuff over my bike, other stuff on the wall on these hanger things they give us for coats, and just throw other stuff on my desk. I've never had a problem with things not drying by the time I go home. What are you guys wearing that doesn't dry by the time you leave your work?
Old 01-09-06, 03:17 PM
slagjumper

Bikes: Salsa Las Cruces, Burley R&R and a boat load of others.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I hang mine where I park my bike, under the fire escape stairs. I didn't ask permission but after 10 or 15 (or even 20 years) they've become a fixture. No one questions it. I'm not even sure anyone notices it anymore.
Is that against fire code? Actually I used to hang my shorts out on the old fire escape too. I think that the sun is great for well you know what. Now I work in a giant one one floor data center. I've considered tossing my shorts onto the intake for our massive HVAC system. That would dry them in a few minutes.
Old 01-09-06, 03:43 PM
lyledriver
Electrical Hazard

Bikes: a bunch.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the rails for my under-desk-keyboard-tray to hang stuff, and run a small heater controlled by my parallel port.
Old 01-09-06, 04:00 PM
barleyrocket
???What???

Bikes: Cervelo R2.5 - Cervelo P2k - Bianchi Vigorelli - Cannondale 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lala
<snip>I hang the less 'intimate' items on a hanger on my cubical wall, other stuff goes over boxes under desk/side table.
As a guy, I'm not sure I have anything very intimate...but I bought a cube wall hanger setup at bed bath & beyond that has 6 hooks and everything goes there. I have a very messy cube and i'm not sure if anyone notices I'm even there, let alone my clothes. I can't stand to put wet clothes on. got to be dry.
Old 01-09-06, 04:30 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
No, no, no, no, no.
I park my bike near my desk and drape everything over the bike. For things that are really wet, use a coat hanger on the back of the door.
Boss won't even let me bring my bike in through the freight entrance and have it stored in the utility closet (the janitor doesn't care) even though no one would see my stuff or me bringing it in. My gear sits in a rented YMCA locker during the day. Once or twice, I've used the electric hand dryers to warm up my jersey before putting it on since putting on cold wet stuff in the winter is a downer if you're tired.
Old 01-09-06, 05:17 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I drape them, one at a time, over my 19" computer monitor. Takes about 30 minutes for anything to get bone dry.
Don't do this if you don't wash your clothes daily (if you're like me).
But this time of year, not getting hypothermia on the ride trumps smelling a bit at the office, if I must.
Old 01-09-06, 05:41 PM
david.l.k
Reading Rocks!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After white water canoe tripping in the hudson bay lowlands for 24 days I have no problem putting on freezing cold soaking wet cloathing. My bike clothes just get pitched in my locker with all my other bike stuff. I carry a clean shirt to school.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.