Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need to install left bike crank pedal

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-17, 04:34 AM
msa969

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am doing up a vintage racing bike, I always liked them, anyway the peddle crank is broken and has come off,
i have a number of questions, how do i know which one to purchase and the size of peddle crank?
It is the left sided one that I need to purchase. The right crank brand is custom.
In terms of difficulty to put a new crank peddle, what is it out of 10?
Any more suggestions will be much appreciated
Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
custom bike crank broken.JPG (50.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg
custom crank peddle.JPG (48.5 KB, 78 views)
Old 07-02-17, 04:57 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 523 Posts
Your best bet to find a single crank arm and pedal would be to look for a used one at a bike co-op. Normally cranks and pedals are sold in pairs, but bike co-ops salvage a lot of bikes to scavenge the good parts. A co-op could also help you with installation. It isn't very difficult, but it would be helpful to have someone show you the first time. If you end up replacing both sides to have a matched set, they will have the tools to get the right side off.
Old 07-02-17, 05:30 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
ebay often has a slew of single arms if you aren't too picky about the styling being identical L to R. Just check the length. There are different spindle tapers too but those that aren't JIS or ISO are quite rare.
Old 07-02-17, 05:47 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
I'm not an expert, but the crank you have looks like it may be an SR Custom model with the arm swaged to the spider, which is integral to the large chainring. That's not a very typical/popular arrangement. You might be able to find an SR Custom non-drive-side crank arm; or you might not. You should measure the length of the existing crank arm, and match it, though it's probably 170 mm. If removing crank arms, you need a "crank arm extractor tool" -- 22 x 1 mm by far the most typical. To replace them, all you need is a 15 mm thin-wall socket for the crank bolt; but the bolts really should be torqued, so a torque wrench is advisable -- 350 in-lb or 29 ft-lb is about right. Whether or not to remove all oil from the crank spindle tapered end and the inside mating surfaces of the crank arm is a matter of religion:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/cotterless.html
You should, however, definitely remove the rust from the exposed spindle end.

It's about a 99% certainty that if you're replacing with a non-matching arm, a JIS taper is what you want: Japanese-made crank that is not Sugino Mighty-anything. Almost anything that's fairly modern will also be JIS, unless it says it's ISO.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbtaper.html

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 07-02-17 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-02-17, 06:42 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
You can easily identify the left (non-drive) side crank you need by the lack of any chainrings or provision for attaching them. Your existing crank will have a length marking cast or stamped into the back side, likely a 170. This would mean the crank is 170mm long from center to center, and you will want to match that length.
Old 07-02-17, 07:41 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3594 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,938 Posts
It doesn't appear to be "broken;" just that the left side arm retaining nut fell off and the arm is missing. As mentioned above, you could likely find an orphan left arm on eBay or a local bike co-op, just match the length. The retaining nut should be easily sourced from the bike co-op or bike shop at minimal cost. 14mm socket will install the arm on the spindle. Then you'll need to find a pedal, also available (usually in pairs) from the co-op or bike shop or even eBay.
Old 07-02-17, 07:48 AM
Cute Boy Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by msa969
I am doing up a vintage racing bike, I always liked them, anyway the peddle crank is broken and has come off,
i have a number of questions, how do i know which one to purchase and the size of peddle crank?
It is the left sided one that I need to purchase. The right crank brand is custom.
Thank you.
Oh this is an easy one as everyone has said.

Your crank is almost certainly 170mm long as that's the normal size for adult bikes. Square taper fitting, also the normal way. You can buy a left side crank arm and the crank nut off ebay. Then you just push it on and screw the nut on very tight using a ratchet.

That last bit about putting the nut on very tight is important otherwise it'll work itself loose and ruin the arm when it falls off.
Old 07-02-17, 07:58 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 2,392 Times in 895 Posts
One word: Torque Wrench
Old 07-02-17, 08:12 AM
denny1969

Bikes: 2006 Felt F4C, 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Worst case scenario. You could always replace the whole crankset. SR/Sakae or Sugino cranksets can be found rather inexpensively.

Dennis
Old 07-02-17, 08:21 AM
Cute Boy Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
One word: Torque Wrench
you mean coward ratchet?
Old 07-02-17, 09:02 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by msa969
Thank you.
It's interesting- I think that front derailleur is a more 'upper end' piece, but the crank is a 'lower end' piece.

As everyone has said, the brand is SR (Sakae Ringyo), and "Custom" isn't exactly the model- it might have been a series for SR.

Look on the back of the arm, the length will probably be stamped/cast into it. It'll probably be 170 as everyone has said. But check! It would suck to have one side of your crank longer than the other.

There is one of those cranks on eBay right now (165 length), but I wouldn't buy the whole crank. If you're not too concerned about being matchy-matchy- there's a few that will go with your crank, but won't exactly match.

Left Crank Arm Square Taper 170 mm SR Low Profile Used | eBay

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.