Old 03-26-10, 03:51 PM
JohnKScott

Bikes: It has two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WISport races

Hey guys. Seemed appropriate to post this here. I live in TN but grew up in SE Minnesota near La Crosse, WI and go back there often. So I was looking to see if there were any races I might be able to enter while I was up in La Crosse around the 4th of July. I saw the Brice's Prairie TT on Saturday which piqued my interest. But I also noticed there was a RR on that Sunday which is new this year.

So my questions. I'm not at all familiar with racing in WI or the WISport stuff specifically. I see these are citizen's races with no USAC license required. So seeing they are citizen's races could these tend to be more sketchy than USAC races (not that I'm all that far from citizen's level myself and I'm sure there are plenty of unlicensed riders that could kick my butt)? Would these count as mass starts for my 5 to 4 upgrade since they aren't USAC races? Just curious about these things. I'd hate to get caught up in a crash in a sketchy road race on my second day of vacation . Especially since this looks like the first year for this particular road race.

BTW...I mean no disrespect to these races. I truly know nothing about them and want to make an informed decision about entering or maybe doing a USAC race down here in TN and going up to WI the next weekend.

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Old 03-26-10, 04:34 PM
MJH2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't call them citizens races so much as I'd say they're run by an organization that does not require licensing. By that, I mean that there may be plenty of guys in any particular race that hold USA Cycling licenses, depending on what else us going on in the area that weekend.

Unless things have changed, the biggest "difference" with them is they start everybody at once... which can be good or bad depending on your perspective. Quality races will likely not count for an upgrade start if things are run there like they are here.

My limited experience with wisport was positive, and I'd probably do more if time allowed.

Last edited by MJH2; 03-26-10 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-26-10, 07:08 PM
John Wilke

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think you can use those races for USAC upgrades. They are good races though!
Old 03-26-10, 09:23 PM
JohnKScott

Bikes: It has two wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool. Thanks guys. Not 100% sure if the schedule will put me up there but it sounds like fun. If anyone is going to be in the La Crosse area at these races at the end of June give me a holler. I'd love to say hey!