Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Level Of Bike vs. Level Of Car You Drive

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Your Level Of Bike vs. Your Level of Automobile:
I have a high-end bike & an average or POS car.
30.21%
I have a low-end bike and an expensive car.
3.13%
I have a high-end bike & an expensive car.
14.58%
I have a low-end bike & an average/POS car.
19.79%
I have a high-end bike & don't own a car.
4.17%
I have a low-end bike & don't own a car.
1.04%
Other - 'splain.
27.08%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-15, 08:54 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

From an idea courtesy of something @oldnslow2 mentioned in a post of his...

I'm curious to see the relationship between cyclists choice of bikes and their cars; to see if their is a correlation between what people ride and what they drive.

I'm guessing that there is no general correlation; that the results of this poll will be pretty much evenly divided...but we shall see!

I'm not going to define what constitutes a high-end bike...I'll leave that to the participant's discretion.

Me?:

I have an older high-end bike and a newer high-end bike; and my two "cars" (a full-size pick-up and a full size van) are of the same vintage as my older bike, and have 150K and 300K miles on them respectively. So I think I qualify for the High-End Bike - Average Car category. But, in my case, there isn't as much disparity between my bikes and my motor vehicles, because all were purchased used and were good deals, and are in good shape.

I'm a firm believer in buying used, when it comes to big-ticket items; let someone else take the depreciation! I also have c $10K worth of mowing equipment....also bought used (Would be about $60K if purchased new)- so, again, it is all in keeping with my overall economic philosophy, and living within my means.....
Old 05-13-15, 08:57 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Daily driver is a 2001 Civic coupe with 240,000 miles.

Bike is a Trek Emonda SLR - Project One - Sram Red 22 - Zipp 303
Old 05-13-15, 09:03 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
I have a fancy compact car (titanium level focus hatchback with all the bells and whistles) and a decked out townie bike (soma mixte with alfine igh, Dynamo lights and a brooks saddle).

I like my practicical stuff with a hint of luxe! Same is true of my handbags.
Old 05-13-15, 09:09 AM
TroN0074
Unracer Cyclist

Bikes: Huffy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hehe. Low end car & low end bike here.
Old 05-13-15, 09:42 AM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
One man's high end is another man's low.
I drive a 2008 Malibu with hail damage and lots of miles. It's falling apart.
I ride the nicest bikes I can afford.
Old 05-13-15, 09:55 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
I don't spend a lot on cars, and I run them into the ground. I happen to have replaced one a few years ago, so my car at least currently is in decent shape with no rust and so forth.

I like to think I have some nice bikes, but really they are middle of the road as compared to what some of the other riders in town have. It's relative though, and I'm mostly just happy to have decent-level bikes that are reliable and perform well, and with a few bits of bling here and there.
Old 05-13-15, 10:04 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
In 2007 I carried my Trek 5200 and a blanket over my shoulders into a few new car dealerships. Salesmen walked away and hid from me. My goal was to buy an economical car which would fit my bicycle in the back with the front wheel removed at the most. The blanket was to keep grease off the new cars.

I bought a Kia Spectra5 wagon and still have the same car. I'll probably keep it another 5 years minimum. On the other hand, I've bought a couple of new bikes since then.
Old 05-13-15, 10:04 AM
Nibs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Quick 6 and an Acura TL. I chose Low end bike and expensive car; although I'm not sure what expensive entails in terms of a car. My cannondale was $500, and being a beginner it seemed like a good choice for me.
Old 05-13-15, 10:21 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Other. Mid and Mid.

I think my bikes are nice, but have never spent over a grand on one, so certainly not "high end".

I buy mid priced cars new, or near new, and keep 'em forever. My present one is a 2005 ZR-2 Blazer I bought new for about $20,000. It now has 46,000 miles, and I will no doubt have it for at least another 10 years. So while it too is nice, (I REALLY take care of my stuff) it also is certainly not "high end". (or low!)
Old 05-13-15, 10:32 AM
delcrossv

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I drive cars until they die , so I'm happy with my '01 Suburban. I'd call my bikes pretty high end ( not CF wonderbikes, but not cheepies either). I've only bought one bike new, and still have that too 20 years later (the Ryan) Works for me.
Old 05-13-15, 10:39 AM
DEK

Bikes: '11 Felt Z85

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Where's the "Mid-Mid" selection? I have a 2011 Felt Z85 and drive a '14 Chrysler 300. I don't think either of those would be considered Low or High end. At least IMHO.
Old 05-13-15, 11:12 AM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
I don't spend a lot on cars, and I run them into the ground. I happen to have replaced one a few years ago...
I bolded the word replaced in the quote above because I think that's a great word to describe buying a new(er) vehicle. It explains the reason as well as the action in just one word. It's like when your refrigerator dies. You replace it, right? It's not an emotional decision but rather a logical one, and likely arrived after some cost vs. value and Return On Investment analysis.

Therefore, to me, "I replaced my car" implies a completely different motivation than "I bought a car."

I too am a replacer instead of a buyer, and why I drive boring yet reliable appliance-like cars for as long as possible. For many years now that has been a 1999 Honda Accord, which currently has 216,000+ miles and shows no sign of wearing out. I shouldn't have to replace it anytime soon.

My bikes are similar - a 1993 Raleigh MTB, made in Seattle, and a 1996 Specialized Allez with a lugged steel frame. Both show some age and have a lot of miles on them but keep on going and going. Neither should need replacement anytime soon.

So I'll call myself mid-mid as others have suggested. Lots of folks would probably say low-low to describe my 20th century relics, but these vehicles suit my needs.

Now, if I could just stop thinking about buying an All-City Space Horse...
Old 05-13-15, 11:20 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by JerrySTL
In 2007 I carried my Trek 5200 and a blanket over my shoulders into a few new car dealerships. Salesmen walked away and hid from me. My goal was to buy an economical car which would fit my bicycle in the back with the front wheel removed at the most. The blanket was to keep grease off the new cars.

I bought a Kia Spectra5 wagon and still have the same car. I'll probably keep it another 5 years minimum. On the other hand, I've bought a couple of new bikes since then.
That's pretty much me too. I made sure that I could make my tandem fit inside before I bought my Honda Element. It might be the last car that I'll ever buy.
Old 05-13-15, 11:42 AM
roby

Bikes: `09 Tarmac Comp, `09 FSR XC Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
That's pretty much me too. I made sure that I could make my tandem fit inside before I bought my Honda Element. It might be the last car that I'll ever buy.
I went shopping for a car with my bicycle... had to test drive barefoot

Also drove in to dealership with bikes to test fit in car. Didn't fit, still bought that car, and a roof rack.

Hard to rate the level of car/bike. AFAIK it's as good as high as I can afford on both fronts and I do think they are fairly high level. Tarmac Comp and Mini Clubman JCW. You decide, I'll vote
Old 05-13-15, 12:05 PM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
A mid-mid choice would be nice. I bought both my bike and my car at close out prices. My 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS was slightly above the median price of a car (that's around $31k) and my CF Masi Premiare PC3 was only $1200 ($1500 after the clyde wheel set). I don't think either qualify as high end, nor do they fall into low end.
Old 05-13-15, 12:11 PM
Mvcrash

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My two bikes cost me about $1100.00, I drive a 2014 Lexus to work and a Corvette and 1955 BelAir for Fun.
Old 05-13-15, 12:35 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jade408
I like my practicical stuff with a hint of luxe! Same is true of my handbags.
Ah! Now that describes me! (Well...not so much the handbags ) -I like good-quality stuff, which is durable, and can be acquired at a reasonable price. Not the best available; not the mosty luxurious; but not bare-bones or spartan, either.

Now to find such practicality in a woman...... THAT is truly rare. UImm...will you marry me?

Awww, I shoulda oughta put a "Mid-Mid" option! Especially considering that would pretty much describe me (My bikes would've been high-end when new- but I bought them used)

Originally Posted by Squeeze
I bolded the word replaced in the quote above because I think that's a great word to describe buying a new(er) vehicle. It explains the reason as well as the action in just one word. It's like when your refrigerator dies. You replace it, right? It's not an emotional decision but rather a logical one, and likely arrived after some cost vs. value and Return On Investment analysis.

Therefore, to me, "I replaced my car" implies a completely different motivation than "I bought a car."

I too am a replacer instead of a buyer, and why I drive boring yet reliable appliance-like cars for as long as possible. For many years now that has been a 1999 Honda Accord, which currently has 216,000+ miles and shows no sign of wearing out. I shouldn't have to replace it anytime soon.
Very true. And "replaced" is indeed an apt word. It sure beats "Invested in"! (Things which depreciate are not investments!)

Now I'm going to go replace some diesel fuel which used to be in my tractor!
Old 05-13-15, 12:59 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Well, I'm a little all over the map with this one. I have some high end bikes, some mid level and some low end bikes. My car is 12 years old with 120k miles on it. Still going strong...has needed some work in the past few years, but I want to keep it running. It was expensive new (Toyota Highlander) - I got it used with about 40k miles on it. Bought the wife a new Honda Fit a few months ago, where she had been driving left over family cars - my grandmothers old mercury sable station wagon, then my parents old toyota sienna. For cars, I want functional and an affordable price. When I have to replace my Highlander, I have no idea what I want to get, but I also don't want to have ridiculous monthly payments. I'm hoping to keep that car going for another 5-10 years.
Old 05-13-15, 01:05 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3610 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,952 Posts
I drive an old, but good car and ride an old, but good bike.
Old 05-13-15, 02:21 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Just bought a $850 bike (only one I have after my ****ty commuter was stolen). My car is a 2001 Dodge Neon and I would be lucky to get that amount of money for it.
Old 05-13-15, 03:13 PM
HauntedMyst
Spandex free since 1963!

Bikes: Cannondale Road Warrior 900, Surly Big Dummy, Electra Townie

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2008 Honda Element which is the perfect car for me.

I have a 2012 Surly Big Dummy, 2013 Novara Gotham and a 2002 Cannondale Road Warrior 900. The only thing missing is a POS snow bike.
Old 05-13-15, 06:15 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Other ... in a way.

Between the two of us, we have a mid-range vehicle ... and, I think, 19-ish ... oh, maybe 21-ish now ... bicycles ranging over quite a span of years and dollar amounts.
Old 05-13-15, 06:26 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I think in long term use of all that I own. That said, I own a 22 year old pristine 1993 Chevy Suburban that rolled off the car carrier into my garage.....brand spankin' new. We don't travel much now that we are retired so my 22 year old suburban and my 19 year old 1996 Chevy PU will do us nicely for a long time to come. Buy once buy quality...then take care of them.

As to the bike......I splurged when I retired and ordered a custom built Worksman cruiser that I tricked out for comfort. It,too, will last many more years.

Like I said....Buy once buy quality.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 05-13-15, 07:18 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Answered other in the poll. Have several bikes ranging from lower to high end, an electric/hybrid car and an old jeep.

Last edited by martianone; 05-13-15 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-13-15, 07:50 PM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Other... I drive a 2014 Subaru Forester and my bike is a Moots Psychlo-x so they are basically the same level. While the Moots is an expensive bike, I don't necessarily consider it "high end"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.