Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to avoid making a mess when storing a commuter winter bicycle indoors?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-15, 12:55 PM
Distinguished

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just curious what other winter cyclists have tested and kept when storing a bike indoors between winter work days.

So far I've just carried the bike up to my 3rd story apartment, placed it down on a laid out towel immediately next to the front door. Thinking of putting a tarp underneath the towel to prevent moisture from seeping into the wooden floor of the apartment.

------------------

Any simple, inexpensive, and practical ways to avoid creating a mess in your indoor storage space when your bike's tires are filled with snow, salt, & grime?
Old 01-06-15, 03:31 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Wash off outside with 2 water bottles filled with warm water. Hang in shower and rinse off. Put some carpeting down over a waterproof layer.
Old 01-06-15, 03:49 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Yep, the carpet remnant over a piece of carpet runner (the vinyl kind) works great. Rinsing off in the tub or shower also helps, but keep stuff lubricated so rust doesn't creep in.
Old 01-06-15, 03:59 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those plastic boot mats are nice.

I like the carpet remnant idea to keep it from sliding around.
Old 01-06-15, 09:14 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Park it in the garage....floor drain takes care of the rest
Old 01-06-15, 11:33 PM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Distinguished
Just curious what other winter cyclists have tested and kept when storing a bike indoors between winter work days.

So far I've just carried the bike up to my 3rd story apartment, placed it down on a laid out towel immediately next to the front door. Thinking of putting a tarp underneath the towel to prevent moisture from seeping into the wooden floor of the apartment.

------------------

Any simple, inexpensive, and practical ways to avoid creating a mess in your indoor storage space when your bike's tires are filled with snow, salt, & grime?
It's harder when in an apartment, But it's most important to hose or clean it off with warm water and then bang it down on it's tires a few times to knock off the water before it freezes up too much. Then take it inside and put it where the drips will be easy to clean up. Some guys put it in the bathtub and give it a shower and store it there out of the way, but make sure you get it pretty clean before you do this. there's no way to avoid dripping but if you pre-clean it the drips will be less and not as dirty.

If you have a tile floor somewhere, that is a good place to store it until it dries. After it dries you can put it outside on the porch with a cover on it to keep it out of the way. Or in the cold storage shed if you have one.
Old 01-07-15, 12:12 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4894 Post(s)
Liked 4,064 Times in 2,633 Posts
I have used 6' clear plastic carpet runners. I've always had them on carpet where they conveniently indent to permanent water catching basins under each wheel which are usually dry by morning. Perhaps you could get that effect with a matching piece of carpet foam under the runner. (I'd bet a carpet place would hand you a good scrap for the job.)

(Tested in the cities of Alameda, CA, Ann Arbor, MI and Seattle, WA. It saw lots of salt in AA. I lived in apartments with no garage and no outside hoses. My commuters got put away wet/salty.)

Ben
Old 01-08-15, 12:41 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Distinguished

------------------
That's pretty well all I've ever done - maybe bounce the bike a couple of times to knock off the worst of the snow/slush/crud outside, then bring it into the apartment (tiled entryway, so a tarp would be good to protect wood) and leave it on a couple of old towels to drip dry while I divest myself of various layers and/or hit the shower. Then I come back over to the bike and give it a bit of lubrication if that seems needed (couple of times a week).

I have a garage now nd have to remind myself to bring the bike inside at work to give it the cleanup & lube periodically.
Old 01-08-15, 03:35 PM
erig007

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cardboard moving boxes for me. Those absorb moisture and dry by themselves and are thick enough to not let moisture go through.
Old 01-08-15, 03:55 PM
bigredkevbot

Bikes: 2015 All-City Spacehorse, 2014 Specialized Allez Race, Mid 80s Takara Acknowledge Fixed Gear

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take off the wheels and put your bike on one of these guys: 4' x 6' Pig Mat w/Lip and Handles | QC Supply meant for pigs, great for wet camping or cycling gear
Old 01-08-15, 03:58 PM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Whatever you can't bang off, use a soft utility brush for.
Old 01-08-15, 04:01 PM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
was using hall way rugs from big lots. interior design isn't my strong point so I dont care if the rug matches the carpet.

Now that I have 4 bikes in my dining room I have a bunch of area rugs in there under the bikes.
Old 01-21-15, 12:00 PM
DrkAngel

Bikes: Various "modded" eZips and multiple econversions

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Used to use a multi-angled toilet brush to knock off all the heavy stuff.
Got a 1 gallon pump up garden sprayer at local thrift store. A quart of hot water and spread spray pattern makes quick work of the snow and salt. Then I park it on an old carpet remnant.

Just don't leave an ice puddle where others will be walking.

Note: Paste waxing your frame helps ice and snow clean off easier ... good for your cables too,
Old 01-21-15, 01:40 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by erig007
Cardboard moving boxes for me. Those absorb moisture and dry by themselves and are thick enough to not let moisture go through.
+1 was just gonna write this
Old 01-21-15, 02:01 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I have used 6' clear plastic carpet runners.
I used 2 ft wide tarp, long enough to go from the door to the back of a room where the bike was stored. Wheel the bike in, roll up the excess tarp right up to the bike. All the above floor mats, $1 carpet remnants work well under the bike. I did this in my house from winter riding when I was bringing the bike inside.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.