Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Is a hitch bike rack worth it?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-13, 11:50 AM
Brittanyd890

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just downsized from a Kia Sorento to a Honda civic and currently have the saris bones 3 rack. I have been considering adding a hitch to my civic and getting a hitch rack instead so that I can still access my trunk when a bike is on the car. Are there any other advantages to a rack that attaches via hitch? The investment for the hitch mount is at least $500 (300 on adding hitch and 200 for new rack) what do you guys think?
Old 06-02-13, 12:01 PM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I've had hitch racks on my last two vehicles. Not scratching the paint is a plus.

You may be able to save money on the rack it you don't plan on using it except for the bike rack. In that case you don't need the wiring installed. You can also save money if you do it yourself. Some vehicles are really easy to install a hitch. Others are a total PITA though. Most on-line hitch sellers can tell you the level of difficulty.
Old 06-03-13, 01:39 PM
tom4416

Bikes: Subject to change

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First, look on Amazon for a Curt hitch that fits the Civic. I just put one on my Accord and installation was very simple - no drilling, cutting, etc. Took me about an hour and most of that was crawling around under the car looking for whatever tool I just dropped. I have an Allen rack, also from Amazon about two years ago, that has served me well. I know it's low end but frankly, I couldn't see anything "better" about the high end units. My bike has been across country on that rack without issue and IIRC, it was less than $80, shipped for the three back setup. The hitch was $110. So, less than $200 total and 1 hours work and it is so much easier than position bikes on the trunk rack, no more scratches and still have access to the trunk. The rack comes with adapters for either 1-1/4 or 2" receivers so I can move it from my 4Runner to the Accord in just a few minutes.

Last edited by tom4416; 06-03-13 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-03-13, 02:29 PM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In addition to not damaging your car, hitch racks are more friendly to your bike in that you can secure them and not have to worry about your front wheel touching the trunk constantly, etc. Some will tell you roof racks are the ultimate since your frame doesn't come in contact with the rack, but most feel they're not quite as user friendly, you've got to be vigilant about clearance, etc. I have a 4-bike Thule hitch rack and love it.
Old 06-03-13, 02:30 PM
Bravin Neff

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Tarmac, 2008 Cannondale Quick 4, 2009 Jamis Coda Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The hitch rack is very convenient. I have this one and highly recommend it (I also bought it from them): https://www.rackattack.com/product-pa...orm-system.asp

LOOK AT THE PRICE on that thing. I don't think you'll find a Saris, Thule, Swagman, whatever that is comparable at that price. Note that it has locks on both the bike stays and also the hitch.

Just sayin.
Old 06-03-13, 06:03 PM
themishmosh

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Love my hitch rack. Install it yourself--not hard if you have basic hand tools.
Old 06-03-13, 06:45 PM
scooter bopp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We started using hitch racks on all our small cars when the gas prices skyrocketed and I parked my pickup. So far I had hitches installed for the bike rack on a Carolla, a Mazda6, two Mazda3s and a Mazda5. None of which I would ever consider towing with. (Thats why I have my truck). I looked at the installation instructions and the easy ones I installed myself, the rest I let the hitch place install. We tried a trunk mount and a roof rack but the hitch mount just worked best for us. I always worried that my wife would forget about the roofrack and knock it off.
We have had one similar to the one posted above for years.
https://www.rackattack.com/product-pa...orm-system.asp
Old 06-04-13, 04:34 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
I wouldn't have any other kind. In fact I haven't have any other kind for about 15 years or so. No problems with car paint, strap problems etc. Worth every penny. But, spend a little more and get a GOOD rack. Cheap ones will damage the paint on your new bike. The one I'm currently using on all my cars (audi TT, smart carbio, Fiat 500c and even my motorhome) is a Kuat NV... it's quite pricey but again well worth it. The bikes don't touch each other, I can open the trunks without any issue as can be seen in this pic of our two Giant Escape RX 0's on AJ, our Fiat 500c. Also the rack don't each touch the bike itself, just the front tire and rear rim. BTW, you got a great bike....

Old 06-04-13, 05:43 PM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
You have posted on this forum only 2 times and asked basically the same questions. You didn't even respond to the answers on your other post. What's the go? Trolling, spamming?
Old 06-06-13, 08:29 PM
ChiefTJS

Bikes: Trek Multitrack, Norco XFR

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 43 Posts
I put a hitch on my Ford Focus for about a hundred and fifty bucks and got a used Hollywood rack for twenty bucks on Craigs List. Bought a locking hitch pin and the piece that was missing from the Hollywood rack for about sixty five bucks. All total $235.00 and it works flawlessly and is amazingly better than the strap on rack I had. Could probably get twenty bucks for the old rack to lower the cost even more.
Old 06-07-13, 09:33 AM
erg79

Bikes: 2012 Jamis Coda Comp; early 80s Univega Nuovo Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by giantcfr1
You have posted on this forum only 2 times and asked basically the same questions. You didn't even respond to the answers on your other post. What's the go? Trolling, spamming?
It's times like this when I wish that new posters had to reach a certain number of posts before they could start their own threads.
Old 06-09-13, 05:18 AM
mirandaspits

Bikes: Trek Emonda S4, GT Tachyon 4.0, GT Zum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate the feedback you guys have given even though I wasn't the poster. I've been throwing the idea around of either a roof rack, trunk or hitch rack for some time for my Corolla. I'd like to take my family out on trails and they're too scared to drive through the city to get to them. I think I've found an answer to something I didn't even ask.
Old 06-09-13, 06:43 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
$500 for a hitch bar and rack is outrageous. I got a hitch bar for my Integra and a Thule platform-style hitch rack for just over $300 from e-Trailers. When not in use the whole rack folds up behind the car.

I added the reflective tape myself.