Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Comfort Bikes part of the Hybrid Forum?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-14, 04:39 PM
WVU_Engineer

Bikes: Raleigh Venture

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi

I noticed that there is not a comfort bike forum and someone over in the Clydesdale forum suggested the hybrid forum for me. I don't see too much talk about them, does anyone else ride one?
Old 05-21-14, 04:52 PM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Yes, if it has a mixture of MTB and Road, then it's in here. Also, basically if your bike isn't welcome elsewhere on here, we will accept you. Like the lunchroom where the unpopular kids hang out. lol

Last edited by giantcfr1; 05-21-14 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-21-14, 05:08 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,192 Times in 606 Posts
Originally Posted by giantcfr1
Yes, if it has a mixture of MTB and Road, then it's in here. Also, basically if your bike isn't welcome elsewhere on here, we will accept you. Like the lunchroom where the unpopular kids hang out. lol
+1 We are the 'broad church' of Bike Forums. Everything from flat-bar roadies (like me) who live in exile from Road Cycling, to those who verge on mtb (but never quite get there) and everyone in-between. All good.

Just one warning: don't ever say -- in response to a 'what bike to buy' question -- "buy a road bike" (as in drop-bar bike that looks like those bikes they ride in the Tore Day France). If you do, some of us will yell at you!
Old 05-21-14, 05:26 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
And it was quite a struggle to launch this forum, I'll tell you! I was one of the two people who pushed for it - and pushed hard. Being a political activist and organizer came in handy. So here we are. Like the Goth kids on South Park.
Old 05-21-14, 07:00 PM
WVU_Engineer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by giantcfr1
Hopefully I dont get beat up for being seen here.
Old 05-21-14, 07:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
there is a fade area between cruiser and hybrids that is all sorts of shades... that is the comfort bike zone..

Yea, you may be shaken down for your lunchmoney ..
Old 05-21-14, 07:45 PM
badger1

Originally Posted by WVU_Engineer
Hopefully I dont get beat up for being seen here.
Not likely! We're a family of cycling outcasts here; all misfits welcome. Think of us as a mutual protection block society; we got our own muscle (a.k.a. logic, common sense, and an absence of delusion). We take care of our own.
Old 05-21-14, 07:51 PM
badger1

Originally Posted by fietsbob
there is a fade area between cruiser and hybrids that is all sorts of shades... that is the comfort bike zone..

Yea, you may be shaken down for your lunchmoney ..
Gheesh, give the game away or what! How we s'posed to keep this racket goin'?
Old 05-21-14, 08:04 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Hi

I noticed that there is not a comfort bike forum and someone over in the Clydesdale forum suggested the hybrid forum for me. I don't see too much talk about them, does anyone else ride one?
I see you found your way grasshopper... You have passed the first test.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-21-14, 08:17 PM
Dirt Road

Bikes: Cannondale T-2000 & SP-1000 (Silk Path hybrid)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hehe - I have a "comfort hybrid" or something like that. Welcome!
Old 05-22-14, 06:00 AM
FLJeepGuy

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Crosstrail Disc, 1995 Specialized HardRock Ultra, 1991 Trek 1200, late 80's Tunturi 500R, plus various others moving through my garage...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
<IMO>
_They_ hate on us because we have the most versatile bikes available! A hybrid can do 70-80% (or more) of what just about any other specialized bike can do. Wanna ride trails, got it for all but the most technical. Wanna go fast on the road, yep, hanging near the front of the pack. Touring, put on some racks and bags, check. Riding with the family at a relaxed pace, bingo! Comfortable riding position, of course!
</IMO>

I've been on the extreme ends of both the MTB and road worlds and now wouldn't trade my hybrid for either! Welcome to the club!
Old 05-22-14, 06:08 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Just want to note, the Clydes/Athena forum and here in the Hybrid forum are the two nicest places of the forum that I have encountered. All threads are useful, informative, and helpful with very little to no snobbish drama.

I'll add in the 50+ forum also. I'm still 8 years away from 50, but I find myself loading up and reading through the 50+ forum as well.
Old 05-22-14, 09:26 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I would add C&V to the list of nice forums if you are into older bikes... but hybrids are too new for general inclusion there... except that vintage mountain bikes were closer to today's hybrids than today's mountain bikes.

And I participated in the 50+ forum before I was 50 too... they don't get snobbish, but it is kind of self-policing in all of the good forums, if you enjoy the atmosphere, the other participants don't care if you fit in to a strict definition of the forum title... the title is more of a guide to frame most of the discussions.

There are a couple of forums that have a much different "flavor"... if you stumble into one of them, you'll learn about that community's leanings toward more boisterous discussions very quickly.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-22-14, 10:42 AM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi

Hi there, Engineer!

So what type of a comfort hybrid do you ride and what do you like or dislike about it?

I know that I personally love my TrekFX, probably one of the most popular hybrids in the U.S.
Old 05-22-14, 11:46 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Yah we're kinda like the "group W bench". Welcome and pull up a saddle.
Old 05-22-14, 12:04 PM
Fudgeurpizzy

Bikes: 2014 trek 7.7fx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirt Road
Hehe - I have a "comfort hybrid" or something like that. Welcome!
I find riding my hybrid comforting.

Hybrid owners are the best and why you ask? Hybrid owners picked their individual bikes with commonsense and practicality in mind. we are the smart ones. Hybrids can do it all with style.
Old 05-22-14, 01:06 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Fudgeurpizzy
I find riding my hybrid comforting.

Hybrid owners are the best and why you ask? Hybrid owners picked their individual bikes with commonsense and practicality in mind. we are the smart ones. Hybrids can do it all with style.
Whatever, dude

Comfort bikes are great but they tend to be "outgrown" quite fast
Old 05-22-14, 03:06 PM
WVU_Engineer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WestPablo
Hi there, Engineer!

So what type of a comfort hybrid do you ride and what do you like or dislike about it?

I know that I personally love my TrekFX, probably one of the most popular hybrids in the U.S.
I got a Raleigh Venture basic trim, 7 speeds, rigid front fork, steel construction. For me it was a tossup between that and a mountain bike. The riding I plan on doing is around the neighborhood, on paved and unpaved trails and dirt roads so it seemed to make a lot of sense.

It is very comfortable, I have seen road bike snobs talk about how they wouldn't want to ride one more than a few miles due to the seat but I find the seats just fine (I am 6'5" 295 lbs). It would have been neat to have one with a suspension fork but that just didn't seem to matter that much when I test rode bikes. I think the 7 speeds is plenty, I calculated all of the gear ratios and on the 21 speed models only two of the speeds are outside of the range of my 7 speed. It cost me a bit more than $300 and I think it was a really good deal after owning it for a month.

Oh yea it is my first bike since I got a circa 1984 10 speed for Christmas when I was 10 years old and I like this much better.
Old 05-22-14, 04:12 PM
badger1

I got a Raleigh Venture basic trim, 7 speeds, rigid front fork, steel construction. For me it was a tossup between that and a mountain bike. The riding I plan on doing is around the neighborhood, on paved and unpaved trails and dirt roads so it seemed to make a lot of sense.

It is very comfortable, I have seen road bike snobs talk about how they wouldn't want to ride one more than a few miles due to the seat but I find the seats just fine (I am 6'5" 295 lbs). It would have been neat to have one with a suspension fork but that just didn't seem to matter that much when I test rode bikes. I think the 7 speeds is plenty, I calculated all of the gear ratios and on the 21 speed models only two of the speeds are outside of the range of my 7 speed. It cost me a bit more than $300 and I think it was a really good deal after owning it for a month.

Oh yea it is my first bike since I got a circa 1984 10 speed for Christmas when I was 10 years old and I like this much better.
All that matters ... all that matters ... is that you like the bike you have and it does what you want it to do. Your needs/wants may change, or they may not, but that has nothing to do with "outgrowing" what you have, or it being 'correct' by someone else's standards.

There is a lot of snobbery, elitism, and just plain stupidity surrounding cycling; you've already seen some of it no doubt. Funny thing is, re. "road bike snobs", most real road cyclists would never dream of criticizing or mocking anyone else's choice of bicycle. For example, you'll find harsher statements of negative opinion about comfort bikes, hybrids etc. in places on this sub-forum than you will on the 41 (the Road Cycling sub-forum).
Old 05-22-14, 07:54 PM
ChiefTJS

Bikes: Trek Multitrack, Norco XFR

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 43 Posts
Hybrid, comfort, whatever gets you out on the road and enjoying cycling!! Your Raleigh looks like a nice bike and if it suits your needs then you did good.
Old 05-22-14, 08:17 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Some great quotable words in this thread:

"we take care of our own".

"All that matters ... all that matters ... is that you like the bike you have and it does what you want it to do. Your needs/wants may change, or they may not, but that has nothing to do with "outgrowing" what you have, or it being 'correct' by someone else's standards."

"misfits"

Comfort bikes have been around much longer than I have been. Bikes evolved into "comfort", "cruiser", "hybrid", "MTB", "performance hybrid", etc. All in an effort to give people choice.
Old 05-23-14, 11:24 AM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey! That's a beautiful bike! I love the Venture!

Raleigh has always made the very best in bikes. That Venture makes for one of the best urban commuters. That's especially so, if you live in a city like mine, with roads riddled with potholes and such. Those wide tires coupled with both rack and fenders could really come in handy. I'll just bet she gives a really smooth ride, too. Every Raleigh I've ever test ridden was a smooth ride. I just love Raleigh. It's my favorite bicycle company. My road bike is a 2011 Record Ace. That's how much I like Raleigh.

I'd say, you've done yourself well with that smart purchase. Now, I see why you like hybrids. There was no twisting of your arm with that beautiful Venture.

Ride that bike into the ground, my friend!

Good Luck!
Old 05-26-14, 10:38 AM
ocelotito

Bikes: Specialized Myka sport, Trek Shift 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm so happy to find this thread. I have been looking to buy something like a Trek shift-specialized expedition-cannondale adventure and started asking about it in the "recreation and family" forum. I was afraid to ask here . I'm still on the fence on the final decision (just between two versions of the same model0 but I guess I'll start putting my questions in this section of the forum.
Old 05-26-14, 11:20 AM
WVU_Engineer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ocelotito
I'm so happy to find this thread. I have been looking to buy something like a Trek shift-specialized expedition-cannondale adventure and started asking about it in the "recreation and family" forum. I was afraid to ask here . I'm still on the fence on the final decision (just between two versions of the same model0 but I guess I'll start putting my questions in this section of the forum.
I rode the specialized expedition at the bike shop, it wasn't my size (XL, they had no bikes in my size btw) since a bike had to be ordered anyway I didn't want to spend the $200 extra for the Expedition, and decided against even the $100 extra for the Venture 3.0. The Expedition was beautiful, just riding it around the bike shop parking lot is what made me decide on a comfort bike. If I knew I would stick to riding the bike for years I would have popped for the extra but thought it might just be a passing obsession of mine so I didn't want to spend too much.
Old 05-26-14, 11:42 AM
ocelotito

Bikes: Specialized Myka sport, Trek Shift 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have exactly the opposite problem, being 5' tall. I still manage to find bikes that fit me in certain models. I tried the Expedition but it was a tad big for me, even the smallest size. I tried the Trek Shift 1 and the size was much better and it handled better. I have issues with some bikes feeling a bit wobbly and making me feel insecure, especially at low speeds and it is the first thing I check. The shift felt great. It's a pity because I think the Expedition gave more bang for the buck, is better looking and the guys at specialized bike store are so much nicer. There are two versions of the Trek Shift I am considering, but some have advantager over the other. I want more speeds (Shift 2 had 21 vs Shift 1 only 7) but I don't want a suspension that doesn't lock. Ideally, I don't want suspension at all. But I can't afford the Shift 3. So I'm undecided. Plus I am waiting/hoping they put them on sale.

I rode the specialized expedition at the bike shop, it wasn't my size (XL, they had no bikes in my size btw) since a bike had to be ordered anyway I didn't want to spend the $200 extra for the Expedition, and decided against even the $100 extra for the Venture 3.0. The Expedition was beautiful, just riding it around the bike shop parking lot is what made me decide on a comfort bike. If I knew I would stick to riding the bike for years I would have popped for the extra but thought it might just be a passing obsession of mine so I didn't want to spend too much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.