Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Coaster Hub Clicking

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Coaster Hub Clicking

Old 09-14-20, 04:31 PM
j0wycoff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coaster Hub Clicking

So, I rebuilt the hub (I watched all the YouTube videos, read the forums, looked at pictures, etc) on my early 90’s Murray beach cruiser. On the tear down it was full of gunk but bearings were good. Everything cleaned up well, and went back in place nicely. The ride is smooth as silk but just as soon as I stop pedaling I get this “click”. Then it’s done. I get back to pedaling and everything thing is fine, I stop pedaling and “click”. It pedals smooth, it brakes smooth. It’s just that transition. I feel like the clutch is catching or sticking.. not sure how to address that, or if that’s even the issue. I’m trying to tackle it first before I go to my LBS. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-14-20, 09:54 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
a $1.00 hub? If You are going to be fussy & not read up, tear it apart & look.. & learn in the process..

get a new wheel with a better, say, new Sturmey Archer or Shimano etc.better.. coaster brake hub ..

Sturmey-Archer | S1C Silver Kick back 2 speeds are a good upgrade

Sturmey-Archer | S2C Silver a starting off & higher crusing gear..
Old 09-14-20, 11:40 PM
gkeep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hi,

I'm don't have much experience with hubs later than 1970 but, sounds like what we'd call coaster brake 'snap' if the hub was an old New Departure Model D. The snap happens as soon as you stop pedaling and like you say, something is binding or catching. On the old 30s-60s model D's it's usually one of the stack of disks a bit bent and catches in the keyway. I've cleaned and overhauled a couple of more modern hubs that are probably from the 80s or 90s and the only part I can think of that might do that is if there is a spring that could be bent just enough that it catches or maybe a brake shoe with a high spot? Take a look at a schematic for the model and do a search for trouble shooting references. Someone out there must have had the same problem and started a thread on some forum. Good luck with it.

Gary