Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Replacement Brakes Trek Hybrid

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-20, 10:53 AM
Jonesie71
Jonesie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

Im brand new on here having recently dusted off my old Trek 7300 Hybrid and taken it out on the roads a few times. Trying to get fit during yet another uk lockdown!

Today one of the brake pads fell off and it got me thinking how poor the brakes have always been, so I decided I should buy some new ones to replace them.

Would love some recommendations on what to replace them with?

Current brakes are Avid Single Digit 3.Wheels: Alloy front hub w/Clix, Shimano RM60 rear hub; Matrix 750 rims

Tires: Bontrager Invert Hardcase, 700x35c; 60 tpi

I have to be honestly admit I have no idea what the above means, so struggling to pick out the right parts. Buffer not a huge concern, just want reliable sold braking. All/any help greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Mark

Last edited by Jonesie71; 12-20-20 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Odd fonts
Old 12-20-20, 08:52 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Kool-Stop are universally regarded as very nice brake pads. I'd recommend either the salmon ones or the dual compound ones. You'll need the threaded post pads, for linear pull brakes.

These here will do you real well: Kool Stop International - High Performance Bicycle Brake Pads Since 1977

I don't know if these are distributed to the UK through parts networks...your local bike shop may stock these. If not, the internet will help you out!
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 12-21-20, 08:21 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
I had a 2003 Trek 7300 and I replaced the crappy brakes that came on it with some Shimano XT V brakes, shifters and brake levers. Was a much better solution. They are much more price reasonable now than they used to be.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 12-21-20 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-23-20, 04:25 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Kool-Stop are universally regarded as very nice brake pads. I'd recommend either the salmon ones or the dual compound ones. You'll need the threaded post pads, for linear pull brakes.

These here will do you real well: Kool Stop International - High Performance Bicycle Brake Pads Since 1977

I don't know if these are distributed to the UK through parts networks...your local bike shop may stock these. If not, the internet will help you out!
I agree with hokiefyd as to Kool Stop pads. Also, the adjustment of the brakes is very important as to how well they will work. Even with the best of pads, if not adjusted properly, performance will suffer. Here's a link to you tube--lots more on there if this one isn't to your liking:
Old 12-24-20, 07:24 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
SD3 is a decent V brake, it should stop fine. If your pads fell off, the setup would not have been conductive to good braking. I'd just clean the rims, replace all 4 pads, ensure that the cable system is good, and make sure you have the proper long-pull brake levers.

Depending on the age of the bike, it may also have a tube with a spring inside brake modulator on the front brake, which robs power. Remove that to regain braking power.

If your SD3s indeed need replacement, Deore units are still available and work fine.