Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2nd Hand Trek Madone 6.2 Safe to buy?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-14-21, 11:38 AM
LeSexyFishorse

Bikes: 93 Zunow Di Picce, Nakagawa, Bridgestone Track bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 27 Posts

Hi Guys,

Have a chance to buy this bike, its a Trek Madone 6.2 from 2011 with a carbon frame and Ultegra groupset for 400USD. I have read warnings against buying used carbon frames. Unfortunately I will be unable to physically inspect the bike before buying, I can only rely on photos. Based on the picture of the shifters, looks like it might have been crashed?

Crash damage?

What do you think? Worth the risk or steer clear?
Old 01-14-21, 11:45 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Hard to tell from the pics but $400 for that is a steal if it's still intact
Likes For Elvo:
Old 01-14-21, 12:06 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
You can tear up the hoods and levers like that by having the bike tip over on you too. If you look at the value of the parts separately, how far behind are you if the frame is trashed? I'd still insist on a personal inspection, though I'm not seeing anything in the pictures that gives me immediate pause. Laying a bike down on its side is the 'best' way to crash a bike, vs. running headfirst into something or having your rear triangle hit.
Old 01-14-21, 12:36 PM
LeSexyFishorse

Originally Posted by Elvo
Hard to tell from the pics but $400 for that is a steal if it's still intact
Yeah its 400 but its an auction site so it could be 400 for a reason I dont know. Would you still buy it if the frame was bad?

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
You can tear up the hoods and levers like that by having the bike tip over on you too. If you look at the value of the parts separately, how far behind are you if the frame is trashed? I'd still insist on a personal inspection, though I'm not seeing anything in the pictures that gives me immediate pause. Laying a bike down on its side is the 'best' way to crash a bike, vs. running headfirst into something or having your rear triangle hit.
Unfortunately I cant personally inspect it. In your experience, what do you think of the damage exhibited in the photos? What kind of worst case would you think could be likely? What do you think is likely?
Old 01-14-21, 12:47 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,376 Times in 3,689 Posts
If you are this apprehensive about buying the bike, don't buy it. Only buy a bike that you can inspect beforehand.

Old 01-14-21, 01:13 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Originally Posted by LeSexyFishorse
Yeah its 400 but its an auction site so it could be 400 for a reason I dont know. Would you still buy it if the frame was bad?

Unfortunately I cant personally inspect it. In your experience, what do you think of the damage exhibited in the photos? What kind of worst case would you think could be likely? What do you think is likely?
Worst case in my opinion is that the previous owner(s) low sided at some point. It'll scrape up the bar tape, pedals, shifter, and maybe the RD if you go down on that side, but it doesn't tend to damage the frame much until you slide into something, which doesn't necessarily happen. The nick on the top tube is small and was likely caused by something hard hitting it. It doesn't look like something to be concerned about, like a crack, or a depressed spot. I think with the group and wheelset on the bike, you'll be short $80 or less if the frame is actually unsafe to ride.
Old 01-15-21, 06:46 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,311 Times in 2,699 Posts
The groupset looks pretty clean except for the shifter. Usually the crank will be scuffed if it's had a lot of use. Personally, I would not buy a carbon bike of unknown provenance but not everyone has that level of concern. $400 isn't huge money so it's not a big deal.
Old 01-15-21, 07:32 AM
LeSexyFishorse

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
The groupset looks pretty clean except for the shifter. Usually the crank will be scuffed if it's had a lot of use. Personally, I would not buy a carbon bike of unknown provenance but not everyone has that level of concern. $400 isn't huge money so it's not a big deal.
Is it that much of a risk to buy 2nd hand carbon? I can see some other auction bikes that are Alu frames with Shimano 105's that look quite clean for the same price or slightly less. Is the risk with carbon worth just getting one of the Alu bikes instead? I ask because I have no experience with road bike.
Old 01-15-21, 09:23 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Originally Posted by LeSexyFishorse
Is it that much of a risk to buy 2nd hand carbon? I can see some other auction bikes that are Alu frames with Shimano 105's that look quite clean for the same price or slightly less. Is the risk with carbon worth just getting one of the Alu bikes instead? I ask because I have no experience with road bike.
Buying any used bike is a risk. Steel bikes rust, bend, dent, and sometimes crack, aluminum bikes fatigue, dent, bend, and sometimes crack, and carbon fiber bikes...sometimes crack. It's the reason I try to inspect bikes before buying. The paint on the bike indicates that it was ridden, but probably cared for as well. Most of the components look good, with the small scrapes on the RD and the right integrated shifter being fair instead. If the owner or a mechanic dropped a tool on the top tube, it'd result in a small paint chip like that. The good news is that the chip is very small, and may not even be through the primer. The scuff on the stem is probably from a computer mount, while the stem cap scratches probably came from flipping the bike upside down on the ground for a roadside repair (which is annoyingly common).

There are other, additional areas to inspect for a carbon frame that we can't see. Depending on the construction, the dropouts could be aluminum bonded to the frame (I'm not familiar with the construction of this bike, consult with Trek's back catalogs if it's using bonded dropouts or integrated carbon dropouts). If they separate, that's the end of the frame. A sucked chain or a chain dropped to the inside of the cranks can be fatal for the frame, as carbon fiber is cut very easily that way. The thing is, few of these problems are without a similar issue on a steel or aluminum or titanium frame.
Old 01-15-21, 09:56 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
I dont see confirmed crash damage. I see wear and tear from normal use, plus a what could happen from a couple of bike tips while stopped.

The stem looks bad and scuffed, but its a stem. Just use some acetone and rub off the scuffed paint and itll look better than new since the paint design is fugly.
The right brake hood doesnt look good and it could be due to the bike sliding along the ground in a crash, or it could be from the bike falling a few times from being propped up poorly.
The chip in paint on the top tube is evidence that a 10 year old bike was ridden. Its a paint chip.
Old 01-15-21, 10:04 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 225 Posts
I'm no expert on crash damage, but my shifters are pretty scuffed up from loading and unloading bike from the back of my vehicle.
Old 01-15-21, 11:42 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
$400 isn't much a risk. I'd buy it if you like it.

Crashing isn't that big a deal. I've crashed every single one of my bikes multiple times and they're all fine except for one left shifter that somehow broke in half.
Old 01-15-21, 12:05 PM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
I'd probably buy it if I was needed a road bike for cheap. The components are worth more than $400.