Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-21, 07:20 AM
LazyMike

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale Synapse, 2019 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
It looks like the cap is simply integral to the stem itself. So you'd pop the stem on top of the steer tube with the appropriate number of spacers to keep it off the top of the steer tube, then you'd run the center bolt down enough to preload the bearings, then you'd tighten the side bolts.

The only real benefit to the standard "through hole" design of most stems is you can lower them on the steer tube and stack spacers above them. You can't do that with Specialized's stem, but it looks like there's also no reason you couldn't replace the stock stem with any other stem of your choosing (including a "through hole" stem that uses a separate cap). Most stems do not come with a top cap, so you'd need to buy that separately.
Indeed, this is what I was thinking but I also do wonder if the tube is a standard size, kind of surprised I'm not finding anything written about this.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-14-21, 09:28 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by LazyMike
Indeed, this is what I was thinking but I also do wonder if the tube is a standard size, kind of surprised I'm not finding anything written about this.
I'm almost certain that the steer tube will be a standard 1-1/8"...at least where the stem mounts. Specialized and Trek both love their proprietary parts, but I really don't see them using a non-standard size for this. It'd be pretty easy to figure out -- take the bike to the bike shop and ask them to try a different stem -- or buy a stem that you can return and take it home and pop the factory stem off and see if you can't swap.

Edit -- I didn't remember that you don't have the bike yet and are contemplating purchase. I think the best course of action (absent positive confirmation here) is to either call Specialized and ask or visit the bike shop to see if they have any such models with that style stem and see if they'd pop one off for you to see if a standard stem will fit.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 01-14-21, 11:23 AM
GrizzledBastard
Pedaling Curmudgeon

Bikes: '17 Custom Stumpjumper Expert 6FiddyFatty / 2021 Sirrus X 5.0

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
If it has future shock, you should be able to run any non-proprietary stem but the bike should have come with a bushing for that purpose that allows a conventional 1-1/18" stem to fit over the future shock assembly. At least that's what came on my 2021 Future Shock 1.5.
Likes For GrizzledBastard:
Old 01-14-21, 10:26 PM
LazyMike

Thanks for the info guys, I want to be educated about the bike. I'm not sold on it unless the price gets (much) better. I'm more interested in a new Sirrus x 5.0.
Likes For LazyMike:
Old 01-15-21, 08:38 AM
Jagamov

Bikes: Specialized Roll Elite LTD, Sirrus X 5.0, Allez Elite

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I'm more interested in a new Sirrus x 5.0.
That’s my vote. Like mine a lot.
Old 01-15-21, 07:37 PM
LazyMike

Originally Posted by Jagamov
That’s my vote. Like mine a lot.
I took a Trek FX Sport Carbon 4 for a ride at the bike shop to compare to my nephews Sirrus X 5.0 which admittedly I took a longer ride. I just think the Sirrus felt like home, a perfect fit.
I already have a road bike, would really like a comfortable fatter tire ride for the up coming season. I want a new red one when they are available.
Likes For LazyMike:
Old 01-16-21, 04:35 PM
mscenic

Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Does anyone know if a Sram GX 1X11 rear derailleur will just directly replace the NX on my Comp Carbon X? Just wondered about compatibility. Thanks
Old 01-16-21, 06:38 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by mscenic
Does anyone know if a Sram GX 1X11 rear derailleur will just directly replace the NX on my Comp Carbon X? Just wondered about compatibility. Thanks
Yes. You're welcome.
Old 01-17-21, 03:24 AM
mscenic

Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Yes. You're welcome.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-17-21, 06:38 AM
Bliip

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I took a Trek FX Sport Carbon 4 for a ride at the bike shop to compare to my nephews Sirrus X 5.0 which admittedly I took a longer ride. I just think the Sirrus felt like home, a perfect fit.
I already have a road bike, would really like a comfortable fatter tire ride for the up coming season. I want a new red one when they are available.
I was looking for a FX 3 or FX 4. Alll dealers around me within a 30 mile radius have me dates of June July and November.
Likes For Bliip:
Old 01-17-21, 06:40 AM
Bliip

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I was looking for a FX 3 or FX 4. Alll dealers around me within a 30 mile radius have me dates of June July and November.
Likes For Bliip:
Old 01-18-21, 03:43 PM
hugorodrigo23

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
More upgrades done.

Did the Gator Hardshells a few weeks back.

This weekend: SRAM Force 1 Carbon Cranks. It was an easy swap since I already had Apex 1’s and the GXP BB already done at the LBS for the old recall.

Love how they look. Now if it would stop raining and warm up a bit.

Now I love a new wheel set...any suggestions? Not carbon...just a good set that doesn’t break the bank. Maybe DT Swiss ER 1600’s?

​​​​​​​Hi, I installed a set of DT Swiss ER 1400 and Continental GP 5000 32mm on my Sirrus X 5.0. The bike transformed, the weight saving feels awesome, the bikes felt a lot faster and lighter, I loved it. I bought the ER 1400 wheel set for another bike, so I bought a set of DT Swiss CR 1400 and for the Sirrus X, and installed it with the stock Pathfinder 38 mm tires, the bike feels great, but I lost some of the light weight feel and speed of course. I might try the GP 5000 32mm/CR 1400 combo in the future.
Likes For hugorodrigo23:
Old 01-18-21, 04:03 PM
Jagamov

Originally Posted by hugorodrigo23
Hi, I installed a set of DT Swiss ER 1400 and Continental GP 5000 32mm on my Sirrus X 5.0.
Yeah that wheelset is on my list....Unfortunately over the holidays I bought an Allez Elite so wheels might have to wait a bit.
Old 01-18-21, 04:13 PM
hugorodrigo23

Yeah that wheelset is on my list....Unfortunately over the holidays I bought an Allez Elite so wheels might have to wait a bit.

This is the only pic I have of the bike with the wheelset, looks a lot better without the mudguards.
Likes For hugorodrigo23:
Old 01-18-21, 04:23 PM
hugorodrigo23

Sirrus X 5.0

Hi everyone, this is my Sirrus X 5.0, it is my main commuter bike. I upgraded the wheels and saddle. I also added some must have accesories, lights, bell and bottle cages. I will try to post the upcoming upgrades ✌🏼
Likes For hugorodrigo23:
Old 01-24-21, 04:09 PM
russrokicki

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2019 Sirrus expert carbon - freehub parts/replacement

Does anyone know what freehub I can use for this? The only identifying marks don’t return any results. It’s a shimano cassette.

my cassette was wonky so I took it off and the freehub was loose. I removed it and cleaned it but noticed a few ball bearings weee missing and the plastic cover was ripped a little. I can’t find anything online that names the freehub

wheels are axis expert and hubs just say axis

any help appreciated!

thanks

russ
Old 02-10-21, 09:43 PM
cheezenip

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Help w/ Brooks saddle on Sirrus X 4.0

I purchased the 2021 Sirrus X 4.0 a few months back and am enjoying the heck out of the bike except for the saddle. After 15-20 miles each ride, I'm hurting you know where (it's ridiculous that Specialized can't put a comfortable saddle on an otherwise quality bike). Since I am a novice when it comes to cycling, looking for some assistance from the forum with choosing the proper Brooks Saddle.

Background: I do primarily 60% suburb riding on paved trails, 35% city streets, and 5% gravel trails. I wish to purchase Brook's traditional old school leather product line (aka B series) instead of the Cambium saddles because of reports of Cambium models showing no mercy tearing up pants/shorts/bibs which will then need to be replaced on a regular basis per many users posting on the Internet. I'm a 6 ft male weighing 165 pounds.

Questions:
(1a) Is the seat post for my model a single or double rail saddle? I'm guessing that it's a single rail since Brooks uses the term "modern single rail ". If that's the case, I would get the B67 (as oppose to the B66 which is a double rail clamp) but I would like to get confirmation here.
(1b) Brooks say if you ride in an upright position, get the B66 / B67. Given the Sirrus X 4.0 is classified as a hybrid, I'm assuming I am riding in an upright position since there's no drop bars. Need confirmation here.
(1c) I get confused because Brook's marketing further says choose the B66 / B67 if your seat is higher than the handle bars. When my LBS fitted me, the seat height happens to be equivalent (or just very slightly lower) than the handle bars. If that's the case, maybe I should get the B17 which is the old classic, more neutral saddle.
(1d) The B66 / B67 comes with springs which I'm not sure I really need given how amazingly effective the Sirrus 4's Future shock system is when I ride . The B17 doesn't have those springs. Given my riding style, not sure if I really need those springs.

My gut tells me to get the B67 but I would like to get input from more experienced / knowledgeable riders. Also, am I missing something while doing my research on saddles? Saddles seem to be so subjective!!
Old 02-15-21, 09:41 AM
hugorodrigo23

New wheel/tire combo for the Sirrus X

I’m riding my Sirrus X mostly on paved roads and I felt the Pathfinder tires where to much, so I installed back the GP 5000 TL 32mm. The bike rides great with this combo, light and fast, I think the only thing that stops me from doing faster average speed during my commute is the wind, because of the riding position.
Old 02-15-21, 09:47 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by cheezenip
I purchased the 2021 Sirrus X 4.0 a few months back and am enjoying the heck out of the bike except for the saddle. After 15-20 miles each ride, I'm hurting you know where (it's ridiculous that Specialized can't put a comfortable saddle on an otherwise quality bike). Since I am a novice when it comes to cycling, looking for some assistance from the forum with choosing the proper Brooks Saddle.
Saddles are a personal choice. There is no way Specialized would be able to put a saddle on the bike that made every buyer happy,

Last edited by prj71; 02-16-21 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-15-21, 01:02 PM
ArneDarvin

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 2.0

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hugorodrigo23
I’m riding my Sirrus X mostly on paved roads and I felt the Pathfinder tires where to much, so I installed back the GP 5000 TL 32mm. The bike rides great with this combo, light and fast, I think the only thing that stops me from doing faster average speed during my commute is the wind, because of the riding position.
Friend, you didn't say which Sirrus X you have, but it looks like it doesn't matter. Can you confirm that the Sirrus X wheels are tubeless ready? I have an X 2.0 and your change interests me.

Also, would you please elaborate on your experience with the Pathfinders? I ride mostly on pavement too so I am wondering if I am missing something.

Thanks!
Old 02-15-21, 01:48 PM
hugorodrigo23

Originally Posted by ArneDarvin
Friend, you didn't say which Sirrus X you have, but it looks like it doesn't matter. Can you confirm that the Sirrus X wheels are tubeless ready? I have an X 2.0 and your change interests me.

Also, would you please elaborate on your experience with the Pathfinders? I ride mostly on pavement too so I am wondering if I am missing something.

Thanks!
It is a Sirrus X 5.0, stock wheels and tires are tubeless ready, it comes with Pathfinders Pro, not sure what model is on the 2.0, but I think it is not tubeless ready.

Pathfinder tires are nice, they are not heavy at all for a 38 mm size, but they are heavier and slower that the GP 5000 TL in 32 mm. I do miss them on the 2 km gravel path that my commute includes, but overall, the advantage of weight, speed and rolling resistance with the 32 mm GP 5000 makes them better for my daily commute.
Old 02-17-21, 07:45 PM
maddoggie501

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus 6.0

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just purchased the Brooks C19, with the middle cut out, for my Specialized Cross Tour Elite. Its a polymer seat and extremely comfortable. Much better than the stock seat
Old 02-21-21, 01:56 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Finally some good news on the parts front: my brake upgrade for my Sirrus (X Comp Carbon, now the X 5.0) has been ordered, and should be in the shop in April. This is step 1 of my 2-step plan: brakes > wheelset/drivetrain. Brakes first, because the stock ones have never been consistently quiet and because I just want nice ones! So, all XT: flat-mount calipers, resin pads, Ice-Tech rotors, levers. Wheelset/new XT (12spd) drivetrain to follow in due course.
Likes For badger1:
Old 02-25-21, 01:21 PM
HybridinMI

Bikes: Sirrus X 5.0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Suspension seat post

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone moved to a suspension seat post? If so, which did you choose, and would you recommend it?

Thanks!
Old 03-01-21, 03:39 PM
Jagamov

Originally Posted by HybridinMI
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone moved to a suspension seat post? If so, which did you choose, and would you recommend it?

Thanks!
Hi. Not going to be of much help, but just wanted to say I had a suspension seat post on my Specialized Roll, and it consistently made my knees hurt. As soon as I put a rigid post on, the pain was gone.

This was before I got the Sirrus.X/Allez. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.