Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

"New" triathlete looking for a new bike

Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Old 05-22-20, 08:31 AM
grubix11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I'm 32, 5'11", 170lbs, in excellent shape, and come from a predominantly running background with a few marathons under my belt. I do a fair amount of cross-training on spin bikes, and feel decently comfortable maintaining a forward pseudo aero position for 1-2 hour sessions. I did 2 sprints a few years ago when I was in med school. I'm use to riding an early 2000s aluminum Schwinn for leisure rides. Looking to venture over to triathlon with the goal of a few olympic distances and eventually a HIM in 2021.

Based on months of research I've kind of come to the conclusion that I'm looking for a decent road bike rather than a TT, solely for the utility of training and non-tri riding. That being said, I think it should have decent components as well as a fairly aggressive geometry to give me some semblance of a competitive edge. From what I've read here I can also modify with clip on aero bars. Due to the fact that I'm getting married and starting a family, probably setting my budget around 2-3K.

Bikes I'm considering are Fezzari CR3, Fezzari Empire Elite, Ribble Aero 883, Canyon Ultimate, and Viathon R1 (yeah i read all about this one). Seem like these give been the best specs for the money. My biggest concern is dialing in the right geometry and fit. Fezzari has a really attractive 23-point fit calculator as well as a 30-day return and lifetime warranty. Seems like most people are happy with them right out of the box. With all of the mixed press surround Viathon, the 2019 models are currently 40% off... I can always track down a local bike fitter, but times are challenging during COVID-19, and will be another added expense. I'm working on tracking down a seamstress tape measure to properly take my inseam and reach.

I was just curious as to some thoughts from some seasoned guys and gals. Or perhaps all of my research and logic is wrong? Really appreciate any input.

Thanks
-Andy
Old 05-22-20, 08:41 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Honestly, still get the tri bike.

I'm a roadie at heart. But I ride my TT bike a LOT. After you get over the fact you're not riding a road bike for the first month or so, it's like second nature like any other bike.

It's just a skill like riding gravel or MTB or road. Just different. After riding it enough, there is zero convenience my roadie bike offers the TT bike doesn't. Especially since the TT bike has MORE utility. It can have a behind the seat bottle cage for extra liquids instead of using a jersey pocket. It can have a "between the arms" bottle with a freaking straw! It can have an aerodynamic top tube bento box to hold goodies more convenient than a jersey pocket.

What road bike and kit can do that outside of bikepacking?

Tri versus road bike..........you're easily tossing 15min in the trash in a HIM bike leg. Two mph over 2.5 hours? That's five miles plus the inconvenience of nutrition on a road bike versus a tri bike.

Tri bikes are much more ergonomic for the event than road bikes.
Old 05-26-20, 10:41 AM
grubix11

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Honestly, still get the tri bike.

I'm a roadie at heart. But I ride my TT bike a LOT. After you get over the fact you're not riding a road bike for the first month or so, it's like second nature like any other bike.

It's just a skill like riding gravel or MTB or road. Just different. After riding it enough, there is zero convenience my roadie bike offers the TT bike doesn't. Especially since the TT bike has MORE utility. It can have a behind the seat bottle cage for extra liquids instead of using a jersey pocket. It can have a "between the arms" bottle with a freaking straw! It can have an aerodynamic top tube bento box to hold goodies more convenient than a jersey pocket.

What road bike and kit can do that outside of bikepacking?

Tri versus road bike..........you're easily tossing 15min in the trash in a HIM bike leg. Two mph over 2.5 hours? That's five miles plus the inconvenience of nutrition on a road bike versus a tri bike.

Tri bikes are much more ergonomic for the event than road bikes.
All very valid points that I didn’t really consider. I was basing my assumptions on the fact that “I would never get good at riding a tri bike” for it to be my predominant bike. Given that I’m looking to seriously take this on it would be best to train solely on the tri bike. Plus it will save my legs for the run which is my dominant skill. I’m looking at Felt B this week. Sincere thanks for the input.
Likes For grubix11:
Old 05-26-20, 11:17 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by grubix11
All very valid points that I didn’t really consider. I was basing my assumptions on the fact that “I would never get good at riding a tri bike” for it to be my predominant bike. Given that I’m looking to seriously take this on it would be best to train solely on the tri bike. Plus it will save my legs for the run which is my dominant skill. I’m looking at Felt B this week. Sincere thanks for the input.
You won't regret it. Just be sure to be fit well on it and comfortable.

My TT setup is for aero only, not comfort at all. Max aero position. Even then, I'll ride metric centuries on it and only come out of aero to go up a hill if slower than like 17mph or so. Just that I have worked on the fit that much as to perfect it for myself that it is still comfy enough for long rides also.

I have learned now to comfortably reach behind my seat for the BTS bottle, etc..... It did take me some miles and hours riding that way, but now it's just like anything else.

Good luck, and have fun!
Old 06-08-20, 07:10 PM
drewtk

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
I have a triathlon bike (Trek Speed Concept) and a road bike with aero bars (Specialized Allez Sprint). The triathlon bike has a geometry that is meant to put your body in the most aerodynamic position possible while still pedaling efficiently and being able to run afterwards. I simply cannot get my road bike into the same comfortable position in aero as compared to my tribike. If you want to prioritize triathlon, get the triathlon bike, and then a good fit. You won’t regret it.
Old 06-08-20, 07:16 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 443 Posts

This was my daily ride for almost 10 year.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 06-11-20, 01:21 PM
fraba

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Super Course - 1981 Velo Sport Criterium - c.1988 Colnago Master Piu - 1991 Merlin Road - 1991 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra - 1995 Pinarello Cromovan - c.1999 Lemond Maillot Jaune Team Saturn - 2002 Colnago C-40 - Also modern stuff

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
+1. TT bike is the way to go. BUT keep in mind that you may not be accepted in group rides.
Likes For fraba:
Old 06-11-20, 02:36 PM
grubix11

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all of the advice. I ended up going with a Felt IA 105. Got a great deal on it as the shop basically special ordered it for someone who ended up not takin it. Making an appointment with a really good fitter here in Pittsburgh in July.
Likes For grubix11: