Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

order my first carbon wheelset going to try tubeless

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

order my first carbon wheelset going to try tubeless

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-20, 09:09 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville
I’ve never used an injector before since I’ve just kept the cap and tube that comes with a previous small bottle but anything that makes it quick and clean is a plus in my books.
I kept my small OS dosing bottle for a few years, too - it's perfectly adequate for getting the sealant in to the tire. Where the injector comes in is removing the sealant, either to check the amount of sealant needed to top off or to get rid of sealant that is old and separated; not having to break the bead for these operations is awesome.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-11-21, 07:15 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
The wheels I ordered on Nov 13 just arrived today. On my cheap scale the two wheels come out to 1.50 kg.

Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 01-12-21, 04:54 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by toespeas
do not go road tubeless , there is no point to road tubeless , you have no ability to deal with the problems that you will face , save yourself the time and money and just get some regular gp5ks and high quality latex tubes !
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 01-12-21, 04:55 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
The wheels I ordered on Nov 13 just arrived today. On my cheap scale the two wheels come out to 1.50 kg.

Did you do no decal?
Old 01-12-21, 08:06 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas
DO NOT GO ROAD TUBELESS , there is no point to road tubeless , you have no ability to deal with the problems that you will face , save yourself the time and money and just get some regular gp5ks and high quality latex tubes !
Wrong.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 01-12-21, 08:27 AM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
DO NOT GO ROAD TUBELESS , there is no point to road tubeless , you have no ability to deal with the problems that you will face , save yourself the time and money and just get some regular gp5ks and high quality latex tubes !
😂😂 WHAT?!

Absolutely go tubeless. Haven’t been stranded yet. No issues in a year of riding tubeless, it’s absolutely worth it.
Old 01-12-21, 08:55 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Congrats! Looking forward to hearing how you like them. Is this your first time with tubeless?

Lol for some ungodly reason I keep coming back to the GP5000 TL’s despite them being the most difficult tire I’ve had to put on. But they do seem to last longer than most and they rode beautifully. Two weeks ago I was riding with my group and a bolt (of all things) came whipping through us, dinged one guys brand new bike’s downtube and sliced the heck out of my front tire. Sealant wasn’t going to help this puppy (plus I hadn’t topped up in a very long time so it was mostly dry!), pulled over popped a boot and a tube. No muss but reminded me of the fun with the GP’s. Of course I went back to my LBS for another. He was actually out and gave me a great deal on an older Specialized Roubaix. Easy to put on and seated with my cannister pump no problem. I’ll keep it as a spare but have ordered some more of the GP’s

my point, long winded as it is, is that I hope you enjoy the ride. This most recent flat brings my total to 3 in over 5 years, the norm in our group is usually a flat or two on every other ride. With most averaging at least 5 flats a year if not more. Coupled with a nicer ride quality well...

Looking forward to hearing how you like them!
Likes For robbyville:
Old 01-12-21, 09:41 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Two mistakes here : 1) Don't go tubeless and 2) Buy GP5Ks
Likes For eduskator:
Old 01-12-21, 10:26 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4941 Post(s)
Liked 8,081 Times in 3,822 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Two mistakes here : 1) Don't go tubeless and 2) Buy GP5Ks
Go tubeless AND buy GP5ks!
Old 01-12-21, 11:04 AM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by phrantic09
Did you do no decal?

yeah, for some reason I did not want a decal. In hindsight I guess it would have spruced up the rather plane looking wheel now. ha-ha
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 01-12-21, 11:11 AM
sean.hwy

I had ordered all the tubeless goo back in Nov when I placed my order for the wheels. I went riding with a friend on bmx bike with tubeless. He of course got a flat spilled out a bunch of green goo. Since he had a bmx bike my spare tire 700 and pump was useless for him. His day was done. That kind of turned me off on tubeless.

I ordered some gp5000s 25 with tubes. lol

I might try going tubeless in the future, right now I just want to ride my bike with something I know that I can fix on the side of the road easy.

Dang this gp5000/25 on these new carbon wheels is b.... to put on.
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 01-12-21, 11:22 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I had ordered all the tubeless goo back in Nov when I placed my order for the wheels. I went riding with a friend on bmx bike with tubeless. He of course got a flat spilled out a bunch of green goo. Since he had a bmx bike my spare tire 700 and pump was useless for him. His day was done. That kind of turned me off on tubeless.
Any system can fail, but you have to ask "why?" to learn anything meaningful from it.

Green goo means that he was probably running Slime, not something you'd ever use with road tubeless. How did he flat? Was it a burp because he was running ghetto tubeless? Was it a puncture? If so, how big?

Honestly, this episode bears very little relation to road tubeless and shouldn't be held as an example of efficacy.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-12-21, 11:27 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4941 Post(s)
Liked 8,081 Times in 3,822 Posts

I ordered some gp5000s 25 with tubes. lol

I might try going tubeless in the future, right now I just want to ride my bike with something I know that I can fix on the side of the road easy.

Dang this gp5000/25 on these new carbon wheels is b.... to put on.
I'm pretty new to tubeless. Last weekend, I had my first flat when hit something in the road that slashed the sidewall of my tire enough that the sealant wouldn't plug the hole. I booted the gash with a $1 bill, installed a tube, hit it with CO2, and got rolling again. Other than being a little more messy, the fix wasn't very different than if it had happened with a regular tubed tire. When I pulled it apart after finishing a second ride on it the next day, I found that the sealant did a nice job holding the boot in place.

Last edited by Eric F; 01-12-21 at 11:31 AM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 01-12-21, 12:05 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Any system can fail, but you have to ask "why?" to learn anything meaningful from it.

Green goo means that he was probably running Slime, not something you'd ever use with road tubeless. How did he flat? Was it a burp because he was running ghetto tubeless? Was it a puncture? If so, how big?

Honestly, this episode bears very little relation to road tubeless and shouldn't be held as an example of efficacy.
It was back in late nov. I don't remember all the details. Just that I could not help him with what I had. It made a mess. My friend had to call someone to pick him up. The rest of us rode on.

I will probably try tubeless in the future. The wheel is setup for it and does not require any tape. I bought the kit and slime for it. Just have to purchase tubeless tires.

Old 01-12-21, 12:07 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts

So you are turned off with tubeless, because your friend was unprepared? That's some faulty logic.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 01-12-21, 12:10 PM
noodle soup

It was back in late nov. I don't remember all the details. Just that I could not help him with what I had. It made a mess. My friend had to call someone to pick him up. The rest of us rode on.

I will probably try tubeless in the future. The wheel is setup for it and does not require any tape. I bought the kit and slime for it. Just have to purchase tubeless tires.

Slime is not what you want to use. Orange Seal works far better.
Old 01-12-21, 08:47 PM
robbyville

When you ride through this first round of tires, post again and most of us will be around to help get your tubeless set up, until then enjoy your new wheels!
Likes For robbyville:
Old 01-12-21, 09:00 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
With regard to the tape question, I've found that the the Light bicycle bead retention ridge is ridiculously tight. I had to heat my tires to remove them. However, putting on full width tape (rather than tape that only covers the holes) smoothed out the transition from bead shelf to bead ridge. Tape can also take up some space in the rim to make inflation and air retention better. If pushing on the sidewall of the inflated TL tire causes air to rush out, you're probably playing with fire. You want the seal of the tire to be made with the bead shelf not the rim walls.

i would recommend getting tape that is 4-5mm wider than your internal width if you feel the need to do so.
Old 01-13-21, 12:13 AM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by smashndash
With regard to the tape question, I've found that the the Light bicycle bead retention ridge is ridiculously tight. I had to heat my tires to remove them. However, putting on full width tape (rather than tape that only covers the holes) smoothed out the transition from bead shelf to bead ridge. Tape can also take up some space in the rim to make inflation and air retention better. If pushing on the sidewall of the inflated TL tire causes air to rush out, you're probably playing with fire. You want the seal of the tire to be made with the bead shelf not the rim walls.

i would recommend getting tape that is 4-5mm wider than your internal width if you feel the need to do so.

I ordered my wheel without holes so I don't need any tape. Thanks though.

I am not sure what kind of ship builder in a bottle I will have to hire to ever replace a spoke though. Looks replacing a spoke is going to be a major PITA.
Old 01-13-21, 08:48 AM
noodle soup

I ordered my wheel without holes so I don't need any tape. Thanks though.

I am not sure what kind of ship builder in a bottle I will have to hire to ever replace a spoke though. Looks replacing a spoke is going to be a major PITA.
if the spoke breaks at the hub, it’s a minor hassle. If the nipple breaks, take it to an experienced wheel builder.
Old 01-13-21, 05:01 PM
sean.hwy

Congrats! Looking forward to hearing how you like them. Is this your first time with tubeless?

Lol for some ungodly reason I keep coming back to the GP5000 TL’s despite them being the most difficult tire I’ve had to put on. But they do seem to last longer than most and they rode beautifully. Two weeks ago I was riding with my group and a bolt (of all things) came whipping through us, dinged one guys brand new bike’s downtube and sliced the heck out of my front tire. Sealant wasn’t going to help this puppy (plus I hadn’t topped up in a very long time so it was mostly dry!), pulled over popped a boot and a tube. No muss but reminded me of the fun with the GP’s. Of course I went back to my LBS for another. He was actually out and gave me a great deal on an older Specialized Roubaix. Easy to put on and seated with my cannister pump no problem. I’ll keep it as a spare but have ordered some more of the GP’s

my point, long winded as it is, is that I hope you enjoy the ride. This most recent flat brings my total to 3 in over 5 years, the norm in our group is usually a flat or two on every other ride. With most averaging at least 5 flats a year if not more. Coupled with a nicer ride quality well...

Looking forward to hearing how you like them!

I have two bikes. Gravel bike Topstone and road bike Systemsix. I really wanted a 2nd set of rims for the gravel bike with road tires. So I when I go out of town I can have a gravel or road bike. Instead of just buying
ok rims for the gravel bike I decide to spend a little more and upgrade my carbon road bike to carbon wheels and kick down the alloy wheels from my road to my gravel bike.

I went for a ride today. TBH I can't tell a difference. I can tell a huge difference between my gravel tires and my road tires but I can't really feel much difference from my alloy road wheels with 28 tires on them and my new carbon wheels with 25 tires on them.

BUT I was a FASTER today. I started riding back in march. My goal was to avg 20mph for an hour. I have been averaging 18/19 mph for an hour for a while.

Today I did hit my goal probably because of the wheels.

Old 01-13-21, 05:15 PM
robbyville

I have two bikes. Gravel bike Topstone and road bike Systemsix. I really wanted a 2nd set of rims for the gravel bike with road tires. So I when I go out of town I can have a gravel or road bike. Instead of just buying
ok rims for the gravel bike I decide to spend a little more and upgrade my carbon road bike to carbon wheels and kick down the alloy wheels from my road to my gravel bike.

I went for a ride today. TBH I can't tell a difference. I can tell a huge difference between my gravel tires and my road tires but I can't really feel much difference from my alloy road wheels with 28 tires on them and my new carbon wheels with 25 tires on them.

BUT I was a FASTER today. I started riding back in march. My goal was to avg 20mph for an hour. I have been averaging 18/19 mph for an hour for a while.

Today I did hit my goal probably because of the wheels.

First, congrats on the new record! Who knows if it was a result of the new wheels vs. your pleasure and excitement of having a new product that filled you with adrenaline but either way a great accomplishment!

Your bike looks fantastic, great purchase. Have fun and ride safe! When you do go tubeless we’ll be here to help and that you will definitely feel a difference lol
Likes For robbyville:
Old 01-13-21, 05:19 PM
sean.hwy

First, congrats on the new record! Who knows if it was a result of the new wheels vs. your pleasure and excitement of having a new product that filled you with adrenaline but either way a great accomplishment!

Your bike looks fantastic, great purchase. Have fun and ride safe! When you do go tubeless we’ll be here to help and that you will definitely feel a difference lol
Thanks.

I purchased orange goo and the install kit. I still need to buy tubeless tires and I guess maybe a charge canister style air pump to install them at home.
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 01-13-21, 05:43 PM
sean.hwy

for people that like weights
(tubes, tires, brakes, cassette)

There was not that much difference in weight in the front wheels. The rear wheel I think the bigger difference in weight was from the bigger cassette.

FRONT:
1268 aluminum ( oem wheel for systemsix )
1218 carbon
1656 gravel

REAR:
1780 aluminum ( 11-34 ) ( oem wheel for systemsix )
1606 carbon ( 11-30 )
2322 gravel ( 11-34 and really dirty with lots of mud)

Old 01-13-21, 05:49 PM
robbyville

Yeah but they look cool so that helps!

I have a charging canister style pump at home, works great with my Tubeless tires. The GP5000’s I really haven’t needed it for (but I did need soap and water). The Schwalbe’s which I loved as well definitely needed the charge style pump. They are very easy to put on.

one of these days I’ll probably just get an actual compressor I think they’re pretty cheap
Likes For robbyville:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.