Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Endurance Road bike vs flat bar hybrid road bike

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Endurance Road bike vs flat bar hybrid road bike

Old 11-18-20, 10:06 PM
Awesomeguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
make sure you do not have the beginnings of carpal tunnel, that is how my hands would feel on every ride. The nerve in my right hand was far worse than the left and I ultimately had to have surgery to release it. It woke me up one night and I was in massive pain and had my wife take me to the hospital and they ended up giving me a cortisone shot to provide some relief. I had to sell all my gas powered yard tools and move to battery powered which I have to say, has been pretty nice, so that was not a bad side effect.

I still get some buzzing in my left, but it is not outrageous at the moment, but it does bother me on longer rides, 40 plus miles. I figure I will eventually have to get a cortisone shot in the wrist to gain some relief or possibly have the surgery on it as well. When they did the ultra sound on my right wrist, they looked at the left as well and it was only about half inflamed as the right. Unfortunately, I am a programmer, so it is a side effect of the job.
which bike handle bars made it worse? I heard flat handle bars are better than drop handle for carpel tunnel?

do you still have affects of it , if so which bike ( handlebar styles) make it worse ?
Old 11-18-20, 10:18 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by Awesomeguy
which bike handle bars made it worse? I heard flat handle bars are better than drop handle for carpel tunnel?

do you still have affects of it , if so which bike ( handlebar styles) make it worse ?
I do, but only in the left hand now. It does not matter which type of bars I use, I just know I have a restriction of the nerve in the carpal tunnel, so I do what I can not to exacerbate it. Eventually, I will have to do something, but for now, it is bearable. If I am riding on my own, I ride a lot of my forearms, versus on my hands on the grips or the hoods. Carbon bars help a lot as well to remove the harshness of the road.

Old 11-18-20, 10:38 PM
Awesomeguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I do, but only in the left hand now. It does not matter which type of bars I use, I just know I have a restriction of the nerve in the carpal tunnel, so I do what I can not to exacerbate it. Eventually, I will have to do something, but for now, it is bearable. If I am riding on my own, I ride a lot of my forearms, versus on my hands on the grips or the hoods. Carbon bars help a lot as well to remove the harshness of the road.
Sorry to hear that.

That was something i thought about, i also work in tech , (not a programmer) .

I tried these tests, 3 of them, i could create symptoms for one of them revers falance test, in which you hold your hands in reverse position, together for a minute

Last edited by Awesomeguy; 11-18-20 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-18-20, 10:47 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
The only real way to know is an ultrasound so they can see inside the tunnel and check the diameter of the nerve compared to the space available in the tunnel. Vibration is a major negative and cause of nerve irritation which is why my gas powered lawn equipment caused me so many issues.