Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Saddle sores? What did you do for treatment?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Saddle sores? What did you do for treatment?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-20, 06:09 PM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by whitemax
Thanks, I’ll check the hibiclens out. Nope, my saddle is at the perfect height, spot on.
Very good article, recommended for anyone dealing with this problem. Just ordered the hibiclens from Amazon. Thanks again!!!
Old 12-13-20, 07:08 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'd be wary of overuse of antibiotic cleansers and ointments and antifungals, unless there's a medically diagnosed need for those.

For example, it's difficult for the layperson to tell the difference between psoriasis and ringworm. The former can be soothed with topical ointments but not cured -- the cure is often in changes in diet, medications, etc. For example, if I take NSAIDs for more than a day or two at a time, I develop psoriasis in the webs between my fingers and sometimes around the scalp. Like clockwork for years, possibly a complication from a pesky autoimmune disorder. So I take NSAIDs only occasionally for actual inflammation, but not for pain. NSAIDs aren't useful analgesics in the absence of inflammation. But ringworm can be treated with antifungals and steroid creams.

The skin's natural flora is generally capable of protecting itself, in a healthy body. There are exceptions but be careful and be sure you really need those products.

This is the stuff I use for occasional boils from ingrown hairs or chafing. No antifungals or antibiotics. Works fine. Sometimes takes a few days so I switch from riding to walking or jogging to give the affected area time to heal.

Old 12-13-20, 07:56 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Very good article, recommended for anyone dealing with this problem. Just ordered the hibiclens from Amazon. Thanks again!!!
Yes, Hibiclens is good stuff. I have a huge bottle of it . . .another Amazonian, lifetime supply . ..

Also shower with a dandruff shampoo. I use Selsun Blue, green label, doesn't smell particularly. When dry, put a hydrocolloid dressing on it, nothing under it, this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PQ735Y/ Cut it to size to suit. It'll stay in place nicely, but I probably wouldn't ride on it. I've done that, but didn't think it the best idea - but you can experiment. This type of dressing sort of sucks the nasty out of the wound. This is really wound care. And BTW this type of dressing is the best thing evah for road rash. You just leave in place.
Old 12-13-20, 09:18 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
This thread is useless without pics.
Old 12-13-20, 09:59 PM
Ferrarif2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What I use now is Band-Aid HYDRO SEAL heal blister bandaids. They have medication already and they will conform really well. I typically take a few days off and leave the bandage on, through showers too, and when I peel it off the sore is usually gone or 90%
Old 12-14-20, 12:14 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by krakhaus
This thread is useless without pics.
Not even in jest....
Old 12-14-20, 09:21 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Thanks for the tips!
You're welcome!
I rode the last several days and I am happy to say that the nodule that has plagued me for most of 2020 has reduced in size.

I am glad I thought of using Turmeric root. I can't say for sure what it does but I believe it has some antimicrobial and antioxidant properties to it. When I used the organic apple cider vinegar I really did leave it on as long as I could stand to the point that I could feel a tingling sensation or burn. I feel like this activated the sebaceous ducts to slowly unclog themselves of waxy exudate (not really pus). It was weird but when I started doing these treatments the openings of the sebaceous ducts now became visible and slightly inflamed with visible exudate that was not there before. It was then that the actual nodule became less painful and started to become stronger. Just wanted to share some observations and express great relief that normal riding is now resuming (too bad outdoor temps are in the 30's now).
Old 12-14-20, 11:31 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by stanion
All my problems went away when I changed my cleaning regime: after biking, I shower thoroughly (which was never sufficient), and scrub my bottom with my fingernails (this was the trick).
This is the key to solving all sore-related ailments. Quoted for truth. Make sure to grow your nails nice and long, too.
Likes For Dan333SP:
Old 12-14-20, 11:40 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
This is the key to solving all sore-related ailments. Quoted for truth. Make sure to grow your nails nice and long, too.
Would it further help to file them to points? Asking for a friend.
Old 12-14-20, 03:44 PM
stanion

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I wasn't joking about the nails. My manicured nails nicely lift the hairs out of the skin, after they were smashed into the skin from hours of biking, thus preventing in-grown hairs. At least that's what I think is happening.
Old 12-15-20, 10:46 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Put hemorrhoid cream on it.

Also, how old is your saddle? I've noticed saddle sores are a clear sign I need to replace my saddle.
Old 12-15-20, 08:22 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Draining salve. I once had an extremely hard saddle sore that was pretty deep, and I put some Smile's Prid on it multiple times a day. Took about ten days for it to finally come to the surface and rupture. That was the worst one I've ever had.

One or two others haven't been as deep and some salve brought them out within two to three days. Fortunately it's a rare occurrence at this point.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 12-16-20, 04:13 PM
RiceAWay

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
I’ve been plagued with a soft area in the perineum area for a while now about the size of a large grape marked by some hard spots inside. Yeah, I know all about proper saddle and bibs, position on the bike and chamois cream. I’ve gotten it to go down but never completely away. Those that have dealt with it, what did you try to get rid of it...some kind of cream, minor surgery to cut it out? It’s flared up on me yet again probably due to more time on the trainer with the advent of colder weather. Thanks!
Treatment is usually Neosporin several times a day until it heals. If it is bad do not ride until it goes away. It is usually caused by 1. 2nd rate shorts without a good pad. (You can get CHEAP and very high quality shorts from the Chinese on Ebay or Aliexpress (2021 Coolmax 5D Padded Cycling Shorts Shockproof MTB Bicycle Shorts Road Bike Shorts Ropa Ciclismo Tights For Man Women|Cycling Shorts| - AliExpress) 2. If the saddle rubs against the inside of your thighs the shorts may not make any difference This is why they have such narrow saddles. Try something like Prologo Kappa Space PAS Bicycle Saddle 270x147 STN Rails 304g Road/MTB Black | eBay At one time you couldn't convince me to ride a cutaway saddle, not you couldn't take it away.
Old 01-05-21, 11:17 AM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Thank you for the mention of Hibiclens. I got my bottle from Amazon yesterday. After one use of the product my saddle sore was much smaller and less painful this morning.
Old 01-05-21, 11:29 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
…...what in the world?

Now that I've read all of this, I'll probably get it at some point now.
Old 01-05-21, 11:34 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,917 Times in 2,548 Posts
Not an answer for the OP. but something that has improved my comfort down there a lot - trimming all the hairs that could possibly get trapped between me and the seat with the finest setting on a beard trimmer. Easy, fast and a huge improvement on comfort, both while riding and after. I'm 67 yo. Those hairs are a lot longer than they were 40 years ago. After doing this for a couple of years I can say I see no drawbacks other than a different look. Actually more comfortable all the time though I rarely think about it. I won't go the next step to a razor. That just seems like a formula for ingrown and cut issues and a requirement to get obsessive.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-10-21, 04:20 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
Get out of your bibs as soon as you can! I change immediately after riding. Use a towel as a toga swap out those shorts. Since I learned that trick I haven't had one.
Old 01-10-21, 04:43 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
This: https://www.hylands.com/products/prid-drawing-salve
Old 01-10-21, 06:42 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
For y'all who want pics, you can Google Dr Pimple Popper and find lots of YouTube videos. She mashes and cuts out all sorts of gross stuff.
Old 01-12-21, 10:04 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
My coach told me I needed a saddle that was more flat between the sit bones.
I was also told to experiment moving the saddle nose further upwards in order to tilt the pelvis backwards.
So...
I purchased a digital level so that I could make known accurate incremental adjustments.
I tried (purchased) several flat saddles.

I’ve found my perfect saddle and currently no undercarriage issues.

Barry
Old 01-14-21, 10:53 AM
Redbullet

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
I was also told to experiment moving the saddle nose further upwards in order to tilt the pelvis backwards.Barry
I would be very careful with that. For example, I think that few people can ride a road bike with a "nose up" position of the saddle. In fact, if the bike also has a big "saddle to handlebar drop", even a level position of the saddle might prove difficult. That's due to possible high pressure over perineum, which is not desirable. Especially during longer rides...
Likes For Redbullet:
Old 01-14-21, 09:03 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
I would be very careful with that. For example, I think that few people can ride a road bike with a "nose up" position of the saddle.
You are correct. Poor choice of words on my part.

My undercarriage was suffering and I’d been tilting the nose further down. My coach pointed out that a position closer to saddle zero tilt would cause my pelvis to tilt backwards.
It worked great.

Barry