Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Cold Clyde Clothes

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-20, 11:49 AM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
Cold Clyde Clothes

Anyone got a line on affordable (not cheap, but not $200+) cold weather clothes for a super-clyde? I'm 6' and around 340#.

What I have now, I can only comfortably ride around town about 3-5 miles before freezing. Once in a while I can pull a 10-miler but I'm flat-out miserable by the end of it. My chest and arms get the coldest. Legs to a lesser extent. Feet are always fine. It's discouraging that I haven't been able to do my usual 17-mile ride, or some of my preferred 25-50s since it got cold.

I've never worn any traditional cycling clothing and I'm not finding much for my body type (which is understandable) so I don't know where to start. Again, affordable but not a cheap piece of crap would be nice.
Old 12-20-20, 09:38 AM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
A lot of things can come into play with what you are asking. The type of riding, temperatures, normal clothing and riding style can be factors.

For instance I commute on a Dutch bike but usually won't ride below 20F. My commute is 5 miles each way and relatively flat. For work I wear dress pants and a Polo shirt. I'm also 5'9 280. My clothing isn't cycling specific but I normally layer.

For temperatures between 35-45F I wear a long sleeve t-shirt and a fleece jacket. From 30-35F I will either use a heavier long sleeve t-shirt and/or softshell jacket. For temps 20-30F it is a heavier t-shirt and winter jacket. Below 35F I also have a winter hat and polar scarf.

When I commuted on my Surly I was more hunched over and the clothes felt constrictive. I would usually overcome this by buying items one size larger than I would normally wear.

The Hanes long sleeve t-shirts (x-temp or Beef-T) were $10-20. The Columbia jackets (Fleece, Softshell & Winter) $30-100. Gloves $30 and Polar Scarf $20.
Likes For exile:
Old 12-20-20, 02:28 PM
Stickney
Longing for a Tail Wind

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Two words: Wool and layers.

There are a lot of modern wool fabrics that are machine washable (avoid cotton). I've had good luck on sites/stores like Sierra for clearance outlier clyde sizes (brands like smartwool, polarfleece, woolsmart, columbia).

I just went for a ride at 22 degrees F, 15 mph winds. I used thin layers of wicking, wool, fleece and then critically, I have a good wind stopping shell. I top that off with a puffy vest. Warm socks/cheap costco tights/windproof Pearl Izumi pants (which are 15 years old). Get a good balaclava and gloves.

My suggestion -- invest in quality cycling specific shells (my coat and pants are 10+ years old). Base layers can come from Target/similar.

If your chest and arms are cold--my thought is more the wind/air and less the temperature. A good shell will help.
Likes For Stickney:
Old 12-21-20, 08:05 AM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
Appreciate the insight, folks. I'll have to put some of this into consideration and hopefully action. My hope was that I could find some lightweight stuff and still be able to move freely.

Now, I do have UA undershirts that I usually start with, then a thicker cotton T-shirt, then a hoodie. Maybe I will swap one of those layers out for some fleece.

Since layering is being suggested, and a exile mentions a winter coat, maybe I need to use my snowblowing coat. It's oversized so it'll fit over my Carhartt coveralls. I just don't want to feel like "I can't put my arms down!"

But I'm near the lake in Cleveland we get cold windy winters...sustained weeks of 20-30F temps, lake breeze, snow...that's what I'm trying to deal with. My most recent ride, I got caught in a surpise bit of freezing rain. Let me tell you, that shortened the trek CONSIDERABLY. Considering a full facemask ski cap going forward.
Old 01-02-21, 06:05 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 1,044 Posts
Women's High Waist Fleece Lined Leggings PlusPlus - $10.00 at Walmart! Yep...

For your chest try sliding a full size page of News Paper under your wind breaker. Once you warm up you can just pull in out and stuff it in your pocket.

Also don't forget to ask the guys who ride motor cycles and snow machines. They know where the bargains are.
Old 01-20-21, 05:03 PM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
I have a jacket from Aerotech Designs. I think it was $60. Honestly it's too warm for me. Rode the other day in 35 degree weather and had to unzip it because I got too hot. But I run hot all the time anyways. For normal people I feel like it would be perfect.
Old 01-20-21, 09:33 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by a_d_a_m
Appreciate the insight, folks. I'll have to put some of this into consideration and hopefully action. My hope was that I could find some lightweight stuff and still be able to move freely.

Now, I do have UA undershirts that I usually start with, then a thicker cotton T-shirt, then a hoodie. Maybe I will swap one of those layers out for some fleece.

Since layering is being suggested, and a exile mentions a winter coat, maybe I need to use my snowblowing coat. It's oversized so it'll fit over my Carhartt coveralls. I just don't want to feel like "I can't put my arms down!"

But I'm near the lake in Cleveland we get cold windy winters...sustained weeks of 20-30F temps, lake breeze, snow...that's what I'm trying to deal with. My most recent ride, I got caught in a surpise bit of freezing rain. Let me tell you, that shortened the trek CONSIDERABLY. Considering a full facemask ski cap going forward.
as Stickney said, WOOL. Specifically merino base and mid layers. Do NOT WEAR COTTON in any form. It gets wet than freezes.

you mentioned UA base layers. These work for some people but not me for the cold. they ca actually wick moisture too well. Again, Need WOOL. Also need a wind shell on the outer layer, Gore fabric is best but hard to find for Clydes. I actually use a Cabelas XPG WINDSTOPPER Gore jacket AS IT COMES IN REAL MENS SIZES, it’s blaze orange.

I know it’s counter-intuitive, but you can’t over dress either, you’ll. Sweat more and freeze. Got to find that happy medium where you can trap warmth and breathe a bit.

also check out the big men’s sizes at Aerotech.
Likes For Toadmeister: