Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Surly Midnight Special?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-21, 11:58 PM
TourDeHood

Bikes: Surly Midnight Special, All-City Big Block, Surly Karate Monkey (sold), Kona Jake(gone)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Surly Midnight Special?

Trying to work my way back into shape (again) but carrying an extra 50 pandemic pounds bringing me to 350 lbs

The weight limit for my bike is 300.

I know surly’s are bomb proof but I’m a tad bit concerned.

Do I give it a go?
Old 01-18-21, 12:23 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Hope the bike has 36 Spoke Wheels.
Have a mechanic check the spoke tension before you ride it.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 01-18-21, 06:37 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3667 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
You are unlikely to break the frame, the wheels should be the weak point. As 10 Wheels said, check to see that they have proper tension. Ride them until you start breaking spokes, then source a proper mega-clyde wheel. Nice bike.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-18-21, 10:16 AM
morrisond

Bikes: The ones this month or last month?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TourDeHood
Trying to work my way back into shape (again) but carrying an extra 50 pandemic pounds bringing me to 350 lbs

The weight limit for my bike is 300.

I know surly’s are bomb proof but I’m a tad bit concerned.

Do I give it a go?
Hi - I got up to 302 in Covid weight and have been riding my Disc Trucker quite a bit. I'm using DTSWISS G1800 24 Spoke Gravel Disc Wheels. Only one spoke coming slightly loose after 2-3,000km's. A few turns of the spoke wrench and all was well. The nice thing about Disc wheels is that they don't have to be super true so easier for us do it yourselfers.

Just monitor your rear spokes and fix anything right away. Basically check every ride or two. It only takes 30 seconds.

Personally I have found being a big guy and varying between 240-300 lbs over the last 10 years that I rarely have issues with High end pre-built wheels - (Mainly Campy/Fulcrum) - I've never had a spoke come loose in probably close to 20,000km of riding on those wheels that have 2:1 lacing in the past 10 years. I swear by 2:1. However lower priced/heavier wheels that many suggest for bigger guys without 2:1 - Fulcrum 7 Disc and the DT Wheels - I have had some issues.

Same thing with hand built wheels using ENVE rims - I would have to watch the spokes and they did not feel nearly as sprightly in acceleration from a stop.

However Campy Boras with only 21 spokes in the Back were awesome.

If you can't find wheels with 2:1 then you might have to go to 36 spokes to compensate for inferior design. Basically a 24 spoke 2:1 wheel is effectively like a 32 spoke wheel - without the extra weight or drag.

Oh - and don't worry about your frame - as long as you aren't jumping it and just riding it like normal - you won't break it.
Likes For morrisond: