Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-12, 12:03 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2937 Post(s)
Liked 2,933 Times in 1,496 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
No C&V content save for the Shimano 600 I am using as a chain tensioner... hit the valley and rode along and in the river.

Nice Tractor!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-27-12, 12:08 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Nice Tractor!
Surly should have named these bikes "The Honey Badger".

Old 05-27-12, 12:40 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

I had a pleasant suprise today. I thought I would give myself a break toady ,and instead of riding my normal loop out into the country and down to Carlisle to turn back I would just stay on the "flat" road and head straight out and turn back for nice easy flat 30 miler. Things didn't work out quite as I planned. Althought I thought Trindle Rd (aka RT 641) was flat it had a few long gentle grades to it. Once I got to the turn around I decided to do a loop to add an extra 7 or so miles to the total.

I did the loop and got straightened out on US 11 headed for home after stopping for some ice and a granola bar. when I was about 35 miles or so I check on the ascent total on my Garmin. Much to my suprise and releif since I was really bonking I had actually climbed almost the same amount as if I had actually done my 'hilly' route.

Just short ride overall at 41 miles and 1000ft of climbing. Yeah yeah I know Northbend climbed 1000ft in a mile this morning but I he intended to climb I wanted to relax.

Fabulous pics Northbend

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-27-12, 07:56 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Did 45 miles on the tandem today. Saw some interesting wildlife.

And this guy

apparently guarding the rest of his flock

It was a good day.
Old 05-27-12, 11:39 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
It was a good day for myself and RogerM, too

Two days after my most recent surgery, I got out for about 45 miles on the Centennial Trail with Roger (riding his recently purchased Masi Nuova Strada) on the Davidson. While the skies looked threatening almost all day, no rain came down on our parade.

Roger and his Masi:

DD and the Davidson:

Roger and I at the entrance to the Trail in Snohomish:

DD
Old 05-28-12, 12:23 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Went on an evening ride with my friend... she brought her vintage Mercier road bike and I took my Proctor as one needs some decent weaponry to keep up with this lady and I was still feeling a little fragged after this morning's adventures.

It was a nice 30 km that took us in and out of the river valley a few times and we picked a route where we could really dial it up and indulge her need for speed... was nice to test the new set up on the Proctor as I built it up for just this kind of riding with a 40/52 mated to an 11-28 (8 speed) to get me up and out and increase my descending speed.
Old 05-28-12, 09:52 AM
JJScaliger

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 58 Posts
I rode 74 miles yesterday. A beautiful sunny day in the mid to upper 70s. rode from home through Scituate-Foster-Coventry RI into CT-Oneco-Sterling Hill-Voluntown-back into RI- Exeter-West Greenwich -Coventry etc.

I took one rather uninspired picture on my phone of Beach Pond on the CT/RI border.

My first time riding on 165 in RI. Very hilly with a rough shoulder and a little busy with traffic.

This was my metric century for May. So far I've done at least one a month this year.

Nice snapping turtle Jim! I saw a big one like that crossing the road in Sterling CT last year, but didn't think to take a picture.
Old 05-28-12, 10:11 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
It was a good day for myself and RogerM, too

Two days after my most recent surgery, I got out for about 45 miles on the Centennial Trail with Roger (riding his recently purchased Masi Nuova Strada) on the Davidson. While the skies looked threatening almost all day, no rain came down on our parade.

Roger and his Masi:

That Davidson is such a gorgeous bike and you are not bad looking yourself...

Love that set up on the Marinoni... in campifying my Cooper thought that if I kept the 13-21 corncob and rocked a triple to give me a bailout gear that this would be an incredibly nice set up.

Now I need to find a Campy or perhaps Stronglight triple... just to keep things right.
Old 05-28-12, 06:51 PM
kiwigem
Fahrrad Mama

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Mother/son jaunt this evening- the best. Strictly speaking the only C&V item involved was me.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
7291068656_646ccc95d2_n.jpg (87.3 KB, 40 views)
Old 05-28-12, 07:01 PM
63_dorinte
Schwinn Magnet

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does this count? 1986 (or '87. I'm not sure) Specialized HardRock on the Fore Mountain trail today
Old 05-28-12, 08:57 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Did 45 miles on the tandem today. Saw some interesting wildlife.

Yikes! that is one mean looking Snapper
Old 05-29-12, 02:54 PM
prettyshady

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wife and baby away for the day, had the car, public holiday and the weather was ok. Went to play on my old friend ventoux

8.20 am, bit of cloud, perfect

I passed a few people going though the woods, but got quiet higher up on the moon section

great place, love it.

At the top, around 1hour 40 from bedoin, carried up a spare coke and food for the next ride

I descended down the other side, town called Malaucène to start climbing again.

filled my bottle up with water at this restaurant with an old bike outside

was going pretty good, then started getting too hot and tired. Some guys I passed earlier on repassed me, and I ended up going down to my last gear. With 5km to go my legs cramped up. I didnt think I could make it over the top. I stopped 3 times because of cramps, and then rode as slow as I could for the last 4km. It was impossible to ride any slower than I was going, which was a simular pace to some of the other around me, this was around midday. This has never happened to me before.

the top, now super busy.

I was planning to go down to sault for a 3rd climb but my legs said no more today.

last photo, 1972 pro10 (3 tubes 531)

People dont get C&V here, a group of people were getting their photo taken at this tom Simpson memorial and they were laughing at my bike. This bike will now head to my attic for the next 12 months.

Thats my 10 photo limit done, ventoux is so much and is beautiful. If you ever get near the place, go for a ride even if you have to hire a bike. I had everything ready for this ride,
map, bike, gear ration, pasta for dinner, chocolate, food, water, 2 cokes, just forgot the legs!

I will be back to take on the 3 sides of ventoux soon, on a lighter bike, slower start and with better legs.

Last edited by prettyshady; 05-29-12 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-29-12, 03:17 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Wow, Prettyshady, that was all kinds of awesome! Too bad about the legs; hope you've recovered.

Back to reality: I rode about 20 miles yesterday and had 3 flats, a new personal best. But the rest of the ride was fun, and I'm still above ground so it's all good.
Old 05-29-12, 03:51 PM
JJScaliger

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 58 Posts
Awesome prettyshady! A dream for many of us to climb Petrarch's famous mountain. Someday I hope I shall have the opportunity. Until then, thanks so much for the images!
Old 05-29-12, 04:07 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Great story and fabulous pics! UH...is that your helmet?

My apologies to Mr Simpson but I did have to look this up. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Simpson

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-29-12, 04:16 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

I headed out yesterday on my now semi regular 40mi loop but was hoping to stretch it to 50mi. Just about 14 miles into it I flatted. so I put my spare in and looked for the next turn to head me home. My YJ spare developed a thump and when I stopped to look it must have slipped as the stem was real crooked. I took it off and reseated and reinflated it but the thump returned so I just rolled home slowly for a 25miler.

I was going to upload some pics but the files are too big and I have no idea how to make them smaller.

I headed out this morning trying to do the 50mi ride again. I took the same bike my '90 Bianchi Proto and wouldn't you know it I flatted again! This time only 2.5 miles from home. I put the spare on and headed back to the house for a quick bike change and headed out again. I got to try what I thought would add enough to make a 50 mile loop but it didn't really add any miles. One road had no real shoulder and the other while it had a nice pebble strew shoulder the traffic was was too fast. I stopped 3 times for ice and finally made the house with 39.5 in a just under 3 hours. Not fast but I had a great time despite feeling I was dying asfter mile 8.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-29-12, 08:15 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Nice ride and photos Prettyshady, that's one I'd like to do someday.

For my last day in Colorado, I rode thru the Colorado National Monument this morning. Very nice ride.
Started off climbing up Fruita Canyon

The road hugs the cliff, sometimes passing thru it

Then it skirts the ledge on top of the Mesa for many miles

Before dropping down by Grand Junction where I rode back to Fruita in the valley floor

Old 05-29-12, 08:30 PM
kiwigem
Fahrrad Mama

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Northbend, those photos, as always, are just so enjoyable.
BTW- Since the BF switch to the new uploader, I can't figure out how to upload photos that are bigger than a speck. Could a kind soul tell me what I am doing wrong?
Old 05-29-12, 08:34 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
prettyshady, northbend -> Wow! Just beautiful.
Old 05-29-12, 08:40 PM
kiwigem
Fahrrad Mama

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Prettyshady, color me jealous. Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-29-12, 09:40 PM
whatwolf
Unimatrix Zero

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kiwigem
Northbend, those photos, as always, are just so enjoyable.
BTW- Since the BF switch to the new uploader, I can't figure out how to upload photos that are bigger than a speck. Could a kind soul tell me what I am doing wrong?
If you are uploading via URL uncheck the box below the URL field.
Old 05-30-12, 02:05 AM
prettyshady

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JJScaliger
Awesome prettyshady! A dream for many of us to climb Petrarch's famous mountain. Someday I hope I shall have the opportunity. Until then, thanks so much for the images!
I climb it a few times a year, and every time its exciting and emotional.

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Great story and fabulous pics! UH...is that your helmet?
For that day yes, sun protection

Originally Posted by northbend
Nice ride and photos Prettyshady, that's one I'd like to do someday.
Its my favourite climb in europe, and if you do come to europe I recommend it. The vehicles on the road respect the cyclists, as they are either cyclists or family of cyclists themselves. There is also a bike lane for much of the route and the roads are super smooth. An alpe like Alpe d'heuz for example has much commercial traffic as there is a big village at the top, and also no moutaintop view.

Originally Posted by northbend
I love this thread
Old 05-30-12, 08:05 PM
northbend 

kiwigem; I upload photos you see here on photobucket then copy the url for the photo from there..it's very easy to use.

I was hoping to see more updates of peoples' rides (I read each one) on this thread when I stopped for the day somewhere in Idaho, my bike has been stuck on the car top collecting bugs.

This is day 2 of no ride for me..my wife says i get cranky if I don't get out after a couple of days. I'm hoping to ride on Friday when I get home from my road trip.
Old 05-30-12, 08:23 PM
kiwigem
Fahrrad Mama

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by whatwolf
If you are uploading via URL uncheck the box below the URL field.
Thanks!
Old 05-30-12, 08:25 PM
kiwigem
Fahrrad Mama

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Testing...
Hey, it works! Now I just need to ride somewhere impressive...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.