Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help Identifying my Schwinn World

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-20, 12:49 PM
butters3323

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I want to post a photo but it looks like I need 10 posts on here before I can do that.

I just bought this vintage Schwinn World off craigslist. This is my first real bike, and I'm in love.
I need some help identifying it. I found a serial number on the non-drive side rear dropout: 3083654. There's a number on the drive side dropout as well: G0383
When I looked up the 7 digit serial number online I was told it's from 1957, which makes no sense given the style of Schwinn's from that year. So, do I have the correct serial number? I would be very grateful for any help identifying the model and year I have.

Also, I'm looking to attach a rear rack, and without braze-ons on the seatstays I need some help finding a rack for it to accept.

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-30-20, 01:17 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,589 Times in 1,224 Posts
Giant built, 1983.
https://bikehistory.org/catalogs/1983.html.
Old 05-30-20, 01:39 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Pic Assist

Old 05-30-20, 01:55 PM
butters3323

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you!
Likes For butters3323:
Old 05-30-20, 10:19 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
I have just about the same Schwinn World. Mine is also black. It look nice when it is waxed. I put upright handlebars on it so that it would be easier to sell. After getting it together and test riding it, I have to say it is a nice bike. Better than I would have thought by looking at the components on it.

It has steel rims, and being old, the rubber brake pads were too hard to get good stopping performance. I got some new brake pads. Nothing special. They might be Jagwire pads. Now it stops well in the dry. I would think it might still be slow stopping in the rain because of the steel rims.

I was lucky because the chrome on the wheels shined up nicely. It shifts well. These are friction shift rather than index shifting, which is fine with me. I changed the seat because with the upright seating position the original seat was not comfortable. It may not be that comfortable even with dropped bars. Do you like the seat? It is personal preference.

It will still get sold, however, if I didn't have other bikes this would be great.

I have to get a picture of my World and post it.
Old 05-30-20, 10:40 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

P.S. Check out the thread in the sticky section for 27" tires. I have some Kenda K-Guard High Pressure tires on my Schwinn Traveler that I like a lot. They are 27" x 1-14" The only thing that I don't like is that if I were to buy them again, I would get gumwall or skinwall for a more traditional look.

Old 05-31-20, 10:04 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I have a '78 World I'm getting ready to try and sell. The 78 version was Schwinn's first Giant import, back when Giant was brand new. Mine also now has upright bars, and just yesterday I bought some grip shifters for it. It is a very nice riding bike and I did many centuries on mine back when I was a bit younger. The World diamond tuck saddle is also quite comfortable. I yet want to build some 27" wheels for it, before selling it.
Oddly, I also have Schwinn's first Panasonic import, a '72 World Voyageur. That one will also go on the block in the coming year.

Last edited by seedsbelize; 05-31-20 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-31-20, 09:41 PM
Velo Mule

Here is my Schwinn World.

I have a pair of Kenda K35's that may end up on this bike. These are the original tires. They don't look too bad but they are hard and should get replaced.