Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

About "Support local bike shops"

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-01-20, 08:30 PM
OuterMarker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts

I've got 3 bikes. Two were purchased at local shops, and one was purchased online from Canyon. I recently posted a picture of my Canyon and mentioned that I had to adjust the brakes. I got into a heated discussion with someone who claimed I got what I deserved since I bought from a company that is "destroying bike culture." Aside from the facts that my Canyon is 2 years old so well outside of any bike store warranty and that re-aligning brakes is something that someone should be capable of doing mid-ride without going to a shop, it got me thinking. How much are we supposed to support local shops?

For that Canyon, I recently spent $400 for a local shop to do a complete tear down and reassembly. I personally don't like the 2 brands that this bike shop has, so I would have never bought my bike from them. But because I purchased a Canyon, they were able to get some business from me. Since then, I have gone back to that shop to buy additional accessories.

And what about building a bike? I'm in the process of building a winter bike and lots of people in the bike community seem to think building your own bike is acceptable. Doesn't that also hurt local bike shops? Do those that hate the direct to consumer sales model of Canyon and similar manufactures also look down on people who build their own bike or buy used ones on Craigslist/eBay?
Likes For OuterMarker:
Old 02-01-20, 10:35 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 719 Posts
Really good questions. In the last 3 years I've (family included) bought my c-dale trail 2, a c-dale CAAD-X tiagra, 2 c-dale trail 24s, a C-dale women's dual suspension, and a NOS 24" schwinn girls road bike. From a second shop I bought a 12" giant and a 20" giant. From online I've bought 2 Blue touring bikes, a raleigh track bike, a 24" Hoy track bike, a raleigh rx-24, a dback 24" road bike, a 16" park, a redline mini, and a redline conquest 20.
I'm currently trying to convince my wife to buy a road bike from a local shop but I think tuition and vacation plans are going to squash that.
I do like supporting some of the local shops and even prefer buying from them but with 3 fast growing kids who have wide interests and shops that obviously can't carry everything I shop where I need to. Some of the shop bought bikes were on clearance with the brand, so the shop had to order them and didn't take a hit since they bought them at the reduced price as well. The others were full price. All of them got some accessories though not all the accessories. But the online items were real closeouts that a shop couldn't touch. The Blues for instance were down to 500 each for full tiagra, couldn't have gotten the parts for the price. The Raleigh rx24 was an old model that could be converted for my daughter to a 20" wheel so she could fit a road bike and do duathlons at 7. While the Dback is a 16sp full claris equipped bike that was an amazon warehouse deal for 150. The kids' track bikes were things that no shop around stocked and in respect to the Hoy after 20+ calls to all the shops in the area didn't seem like a local possibility no matter what.
At the end of the day when the bike is what I want and the price is reasonable I've got no problem shopping local but when the deal is too outrageously good to pass up or isn't available locally no matter what then online is an obvious choice.
I just won't bother asking a shop to price match, if its close enough I'll buy local if it isn't then online; I know from working in several shops that can't buy some items for the same price as what is online. Local shop through their online site had the rims I wanted, could have gotten them for 2 dollars less each plus about 14 less in tax but I like the local shop and on a nearly 200.00 purchase that wasn't enough to deter me. But the spokes were through ebay so 70.00 for the spokes with enough to build 3/4 of another set of wheels left over and that saved 30.00 for what would have been the exact number of spokes needed; a big difference in savings both now and in the future.
I realize this rambling doesn't really answer the question but you need to judge what is right for yourself. Realize that the lack of business might mean there isn't a shop to rely on when you actually need it but supporting a shop that doesn't really offer you what you want/need/can afford doesn't benefit you either. Either way my list helps me realize I just spend too much on bikes in general.
Old 02-01-20, 10:50 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
- you should support your LBS as much as you want/need.
- how someone else wants you to spend your hobby money should be of no consequence to you.
- building a bike might 'hurt' local shops. Or it might benefit local shops. Who knows- it kinda depends on where you buy the components for that bike.
- I dont know if people who dont support consumer direct brands also dont like craigslist. You should ask them.

If any questions werent answered, here is a generic answer that I'm pretty sure will apply- dont worry about what others think.
Old 02-02-20, 04:26 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by OuterMarker
How much are we supposed to support local shops?
You make your decisions based on your values. Don't buy into someone else's idea of what your values should be.
Old 02-02-20, 04:45 AM
Ramshackle

Bikes: Litespeed Adecco, Specialized Roubaix SL4

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
Those of us on a tight budget or in retirement don't often have the liberty of conscience buying. While I buy certain stuff from my LBS, I can't afford to pay $80 for a tire that I can buy for half of that on Amazon or eBay. Nor can I afford to spend $2000 on a new bike instead of buying a used one for $400 from a private party. Plus, LBS's often don't have the parts I need.
Old 02-02-20, 06:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
This discussion just gets dumber and dumber. I'm either doing business with my LBS because they meet my needs or I'm not. I'm paying them for goods received and services rendered. I don't usually buy parts and accessories from them because the markup is too high.
If people really want to support them, they can donate money. Otherwise, it's none of their business how you or I choose to spend our money.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-02-20, 08:00 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Subscribed.
Old 02-02-20, 08:13 AM
CoffeedrinkerNC

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
This is the same discussion about my other hobbies. I will support my LBS as long as they are not really over priced. I do check prices on line, and will bring it up with the store, if they are out of line. I'm willing to pay 10 to 15% more to support the local business (once you add tax and shipping the prices should be close). To me, it seems that most stores they have survived the 2000's, understand people check prices and will not be overcharged for items.
Likes For CoffeedrinkerNC:
Old 02-02-20, 08:56 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
I quit supporting my local bike shops when they stopped carrying parts or even consumables for my bikes -- I got tired of the 'We'll have to order it" line. Well, I can order it too, and without the middleman markup.
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 02-02-20, 09:29 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Like deja vu all over again.

-Kedosto
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 02-02-20, 09:47 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto

-Kedosto
Time for another one of these threads .... some people think .......
Old 02-02-20, 09:48 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
It depends. Is the LBS concerned with "The Voice of the Customer?" That is, are they most concerned about maximizing all profits or serving my needs and creating a long-term relationship? I'm going through this process right now with a fairly new owner of a long established bike shop. As long as his parts prices are within reasonable limits, I will continue to frequent this LBS. So far, so good for me. I like the concept about being able to sort out any issues directly with the owner rather than dealing with layers of managers.
Old 02-02-20, 11:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Kedosto

-Kedosto

Groundhog Day!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-02-20, 11:19 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
I'm using my LBS more than ever but only for consumables like pads and cables and occasionally parts like BB's and cassettes. He's very competitive on price and often does unexpected little discounts off the ticket price. Regarding bikes and/or frames he doesn't stock major brands like Cannondale, Giant, Specialized, Trek, etc. so I'm using whoever is cheapest (in the UK this is mostly Evans Cycles) but he does have some cool-looking bikes from minor brands.
Likes For Welshboy:
Old 02-02-20, 11:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Welshboy
I'm using my LBS more than ever but only for consumables like pads and cables and occasionally parts like BB's and cassettes. He's very competitive on price and often does unexpected little discounts off the ticket price. Regarding bikes and/or frames he doesn't stock major brands like Cannondale, Giant, Specialized, Trek, etc. so I'm using whoever is cheapest (in the UK this is mostly Evans Cycles) but he does have some cool-looking bikes from minor brands.
And that's really the point, isn't it? We go to our LBS because they're good at what they do, not because it's the LBS. There are LBS I wouldn't set foot in again because they're not good at what I need.
Old 02-02-20, 12:12 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I'llhave the courage to say what the rest of you are afraid to say:

If you don't sell your house, spouse, and children and give all proceeds to the local bike shop, if you don't enter into indentured servitude, a lifetime contract guaranteeing them all your time and energy for lodgings in a dog house out back and daily rations of a can of dog food, if you don't also convince your friends to do likewise ... then You and you alone are responsible for the death of "cycling culture."

Did you bother to ask that guy for a precise definition of "cycling culture"?

I have zero culture ... but I am getting ready to go cycling. What does it all mean?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-02-20, 12:26 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
This discussion just gets dumber and dumber. I'm either doing business with my LBS because they meet my needs or I'm not. I'm paying them for goods received and services rendered. I don't usually buy parts and accessories from them because the markup is too high.
If people really want to support them, they can donate money. Otherwise, it's none of their business how you or I choose to spend our money.
agree. LBS are clearly going through an adjustment period learning to make money while competing with online retailers. Some are being successful. Some are not. I don’t envy their situation but in the end that’s how business works.
Old 02-02-20, 12:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I'llhave the courage to say what the rest of you are afraid to say:

If you don't sell your house, spouse, and children and give all proceeds to the local bike shop, if you don't enter into indentured servitude, a lifetime contract guaranteeing them all your time and energy for lodgings in a dog house out back and daily rations of a can of dog food, if you don't also convince your friends to do likewise ... then You and you alone are responsible for the death of "cycling culture."

Did you bother to ask that guy for a precise definition of "cycling culture"?

I have zero culture ... but I am getting ready to go cycling. What does it all mean?
I had my bike cultured, and it was negative for strep.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-02-20, 12:42 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
OP hasn't been back yet?
shocked!
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-02-20, 12:45 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
And that's really the point, isn't it? We go to our LBS because they're good at what they do, not because it's the LBS. There are LBS I wouldn't set foot in again because they're not good at what I need.
Very good point. There is a shop I go to when I need things I can't do for myself. Most of the bikes that I own were built up from bare frames. I have worked as a bike mechanic many times over the years. This shop I go to is fantastic. The owner is well known all over the Montreal region. One purchase from him was a smart trainer, an Elite Drivo. I went in looking for the less expensive model being sold at that time, but he wasn't able to get one because it was so new on the market. He gave me such a good price on the Drivo that I actually asked him if he was going to be able to make a profit. He told me that he would. When I went in to pick up my trainer, I saw 4 other identical boxes that were there also already sold. It doesn't hurt him that there is a distributor for this item only about 6 km from his store so shipping is not an issue, he can get things with almost no waiting time. The last time I went there I was looking for a rebuild kit for a set of eggbeater pedals I have been using for 15 years. When I asked him, he looked around the shop and found me a rebuild kit that had been hanging around. $10. Nice for both of us. He sold some old stock that he needed to move and I had a cheap fix for my pedals, win win
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 02-02-20, 01:31 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I use "cycling culture" to ferment milk into yogurt...….Seriously why would anybody feel guilty if they don't spend $ 10 000 per year at their local LBS ??
Old 02-02-20, 02:01 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
My lbs saves me money.

It's weird that this is the OP's only post, but he's complaining about something that happened online.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 02-02-20, 02:12 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
This pretty much nails my response:

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Support is something I do for my children, not other people's businesses.

A business has to earn my money every time I call or walk in the front door.

-Tim-
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 02-02-20, 04:00 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
From a LBS. Try getting one of these on line. Yo!

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-02-20, 06:12 PM
OuterMarker

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
It's weird that this is the OP's only post, but he's complaining about something that happened online.
Everyone got to have a first post eventually.

The original comment was on a facebook group. No one I know in real life is going to tell me that my Canyon is killing local bike shops to my face, so I thought I'd cast a wider net.
Likes For OuterMarker:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.