Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Saddle bag with bottle holder

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-20, 08:10 AM
Rstyle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Currently have an Aéreo Aéreo Wedge ( tube, mini tools, cartridges, gloves etc)
Would like to switch to a bag with a single bottle holder during longer rides to add another bottle.
Would prefer not to add to steering bar.
Have Looked at several brands but they seem to require a long segment of the seat post for attachment (I have 5-6 inches available for the straps) and concerned that the rear light, when mounted, looks or is angled 45 degrees down ( I have R-Flare).
Any suggestions from people using them? Thanks
Old 05-21-20, 11:58 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
If you just want to carry a spare bottle of water to switch out during the ride, a toe-strap can be your friend. Here's an image of a bottle held under the saddle by using a toe-strap to hold it. You can pass the toe-strap around the seat bag and have the bottle under the seat bag. You can just see the bottle under the seat bag in the second image.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 05-21-20, 02:12 PM
Rstyle

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
That could work. ( where are you riding?... looks cooold!!)
Was thinking about Rockbros saddlebag with water bottle,
The light mount may work.
i have to get the measurements since this is for my wife and there is only 5-6 inches of seat post available for the straps.
Could switch And take Aero bag off and put this on when additional bottle is needed for longer ride or August rides in Florida
Old 05-21-20, 02:28 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Axiom Seymour Oceanweave H2O

I have the older version from when they just called it the "Axiom Fondo." Works a treat.

There is of course a much cheaper Rockbros option. Can't speak to the quality of that one.
Old 05-21-20, 02:52 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
I've had similar to the above & had to return it as it didn't clear the rear rack when loaded.
https://www.amazon.com/VeloChampion-..._t1_B00GROJ60I
That resolved my issue & I was able to keep the small seat bag that I already had.
Old 05-23-20, 08:40 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
In my humble opinion, it just doesn't get better than this. Great quality, efficient and effective. Looks great too.

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...ondopack-hydro
Old 05-23-20, 01:56 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by Rstyle
That could work. ( where are you riding?... looks cooold!!)
Was thinking about Rockbros saddlebag with water bottle,
The light mount may work.
i have to get the measurements since this is for my wife and there is only 5-6 inches of seat post available for the straps.
Could switch And take Aero bag off and put this on when additional bottle is needed for longer ride or August rides in Florida
That was on a rail-trail somewhere between Cambridge, Ontario and Hamilton, Ontario in Canada. It was in the winter and it was cold that day.

I've ridden on days when the water in my water bottle froze solid.

Cheers
Old 05-23-20, 06:56 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by one4smoke
In my humble opinion, it just doesn't get better than this. Great quality, efficient and effective. Looks great too.

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...ondopack-hydro
my interest was peaked until I came across its price. Still question if it'd clear the rear TP rack when loaded...
Old 05-23-20, 09:25 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
my interest was peaked until I came across its price. Still question if it'd clear the rear TP rack when loaded...
It’s well worth it. I bought three, two with the bottle holder, and one with the extended compartment. I have two road bikes, so this way I can change out depending on the needs without switching both bikes at once.

I’m 6’4” so obviously I have more of an elevated seat post than most. But, I have about 5” of clearance from the bottom of the bag (when full) to the tire.

It’s perfect for me. Holds everything I need plus more if I want. I cant recommend it enough.
Old 05-24-20, 11:25 AM
Rstyle

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Topeak Mondopak Hydro.
Looks good.....Actually looks great......but..........I do think I have the clearance.......( very borderline)
Too bad the have not made one less tall!!
Old 05-24-20, 03:08 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by one4smoke
It’s well worth it. I bought three, two with the bottle holder, and one with the extended compartment. I have two road bikes, so this way I can change out depending on the needs without switching both bikes at once.

I’m 6’4” so obviously I have more of an elevated seat post than most. But, I have about 5” of clearance from the bottom of the bag (when full) to the tire.

It’s perfect for me. Holds everything I need plus more if I want. I cant recommend it enough.
If my lbs had one in stock to mock up to ensure it'd fit, it might be harder to resist... thankfully the ones I inquired/checked with confirmed 0 in stock. lol
Old 05-24-20, 03:13 PM
Miele Man

Then again, you can always sew or rivet and adjustable strap to the bottom of just about any seatbag you have.

I once converted a red nylon pencil case to a seatbag by riveting straps top it. I use parts from large dome snaps for the rivets. It worked and looked well.

Cheers
Old 05-24-20, 03:24 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Interesting, but they all appear to be designed for pretty tall seatposts on bikes with more sloped top tubes than mine and would definitely not clear my rack. That was the primary reason I bought the small trunk bag for my rack, carry a folded spare tire, a windbreaker, and an extra 24oz bottle.