Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Helmet ventilation

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Helmet ventilation

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-15, 01:39 PM
ganchan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Helmet ventilation

I don't ride all that far, but I do my riding in Texas. Since I also choose to wear a helmet, after even a short ride my head looks like I just stepped out of the shower.

I bought an entry-level Bell helmet back in the day, and I suppose it doesn't ventilate all that well -- but how much more money would I have to shell out to get a helmet that actually does, assuming that there is such a thing?
Old 10-16-15, 05:50 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$40
Old 10-16-15, 06:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
More you spend the better it gets.
Old 10-16-15, 09:23 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Correct. They all pretty much have to meet basic impact standards. Higher priced helmets are typically lighter and have better ventilation. There is one exception: Some companies such as POC are offering MIPS helmets that attempt to provide more protection against concussions. While the typical helmet may save you life, they may not prevent a concussion -- at least you're alive. The MIPS helmet provides protection against concussions.

The current helmet standards are decades old. Hopefully they will be updated to require some form of concussion protection as well.

So, back to your question, if you pay more for a MIPS helmet, you also get a safer helmet.
Old 10-16-15, 09:41 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Or you can start with something like a Headsweats classic - Headsweats | World Leader in Performance Headwear - or a competitor.
Old 10-16-15, 10:18 PM
ganchan

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
If money truly was no object, I could investigate one of these....
Hövding ? Airbag for cyclists: How it works

Goofy-looking, yes. But it wouldn't be sitting on your head normally; it would simply deploy in times of crisis.
Old 10-16-15, 10:29 PM
RavingRoo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ganchan
If money truly was no object, I could investigate one of these....
Hövding ? Airbag for cyclists: How it works

Goofy-looking, yes. But it wouldn't be sitting on your head normally; it would simply deploy in times of crisis.
Or, you could go with "SecureFoam" and turn yourself into a cannoli.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnyhkBU1yaw
Old 10-17-15, 12:24 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
As a resident of NC for almost 10 years, I can say that riding in hot, humid climate where there is no breeze is much different than riding in a less hot, drier climate that has a sea breeze. You're going to have a difficult time keeping cool in the former environment. Even now, I wear a Halo Headband to suck up the sweat. I think you can find a helmet with better ventilation in the $60-100 on sale. I liked my Bell Alchera and thought it had decent ventilation. I would have purchased another one except that the sizing changed enough over the years that it wasn't a great fit for my size small head. The Road Cycling forum probably has a number of threads where people ask about helmets with good ventilation.
Old 10-17-15, 10:51 AM
ganchan

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The other thing I may try is one of those personal cooling cloths that you douse in ice-cold water:
Amazon.com: Grabber Magic Cool Personal Cooling Cloth, Black: Health & Personal Care

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZW6TV2K?psc=1

I would put it under my helmet before going out. Maybe even carry a spare in a little insulated bag with cold packs in it. Anybody tried something like this?
Old 10-17-15, 01:27 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Texan here too. Coincidentally I just began wearing a helmet a couple of days ago, after having resumed cycling a month ago. Temps have only been up to the 80s, but enough to get a feel for things.

The helmet, an inexpensive Bell Solar, is no more uncomfortable than the brimmed boonie hat I'd been wearing. Maybe even a bit cooler from air flow while riding.

But it lacks the more extensive microfiber cloth of the pricier helmets I tried locally. It uses Velcro fasteners so maybe I can add some absorbent padding.

Not a bad helmet for the money ($20), but I wish I'd ponied up for one with a sun visor.
Old 10-18-15, 09:38 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everybody's head is shaped different. I suggest trying different helmets on and looking in the mirror. If you can see that there are channels above your head where air can pass through the helmet and by your head to cool you down, go for those helmets.
Old 10-18-15, 09:53 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Originally Posted by bikepro
Correct. They all pretty much have to meet basic impact standards. Higher priced helmets are typically lighter and have better ventilation.
Yep, that's it exactly - higher priced helmets are much lighter and vent better. Now is the time to look as New Years models are just out. You can find dome good deals if you look.
Old 10-19-15, 06:25 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Yep, that's it exactly - higher priced helmets are much lighter and vent better. Now is the time to look as New Years models are just out. You can find dome good deals if you look.
Excepting aero helmets. Helmets like the Giro air attack are warmer unless you are riding at a pretty fast speed. I love the helmet just not in the summertime.
Old 10-19-15, 12:59 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Interestingly I switched to a Bern Alston helmet this year. I am in Southern Missouri and commuted daily in 90F+ temps with high humidity and I love the helmet. The only area my head was sweaty was where the liner was, basically like a sweatband. The top of my head was always dry. I figured I would only wear this helmet on cooler days but have worn it every day. The vents are large and let in a lot of air. I can feel the air blowing through my head. I like it much better than my Bell Sweep. I was very surprised.