Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Best Ideal Condition for Profit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-21, 09:21 PM
Yelbom15

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 46 Posts
Best Ideal Condition for Profit?

I really want to know some of your opinions on what makes a bike “valuable”.

I’m leaning towards the quality of the bike that determines it’s worth and profit and whether or not you should buy.

Would an all original, unrideable Iver Johnson bicycle bring in more money than a completely restored, down to the spoke, Iver Johnson?

Would an all original 1930s Bianchi Saetta frame that has sat in the back of a barn be worth more than a restored to a mirror finished frame?

If the goal is to make profit, how do you determine what to do in order to achieve that?
Old 11-19-21, 09:45 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 965 Times in 629 Posts
Original beats restored on pretty much everything: furniture, cars, bicycles, you name it. Want to destroy the value of an original Stickley furniture piece? Get it refinished.

The "profit" is made when you acquire the item. The better you are at buying, the more profit you will make. At some point, an item is "too far" gone. But too far on the really old stuff is really far.

Buyers of rare items would rather either have them in original, unrestored condition, or do the restoration themselves (or direct someone to do it). They are not going to trust me to do the work for them.

The other part controlling the "profit" is how the item is marketed. Sold locally into a limited market pretty much guarantees the lowest profit. If the transaction is easy and local, profit is lower.

Some people confuse rarity with valuable. Some stuff that is quite rare was because no one wanted it, and they still don't. Other stuff that was relatively common is quite valuable.

Go on ebay. Do a search of sold bicycles under collectibles, highest price first. #1 item is a basket case, rusty, crusty, not complete.

And of course, all original in nice condition beats barn find. People think "barn find" is a positive. It often means neglected, poorly stored, ignored for decades. The plus is it may be unmolested and complete.

Just the opinion of someone who has been collecting a variety of antique stuff for over 50 years.

Last edited by wrk101; 11-19-21 at 10:02 PM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 11-19-21, 10:33 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101

Some people confuse rarity with valuable. Some stuff that is quite rare was because no one wanted it, and they still don't. Other stuff that was relatively common is quite valuable.

AMC Javelin's vs same generation Camaro's and Mustangs (or VW camper vans )
Old 11-19-21, 11:35 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 5,052 Times in 1,795 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Javelin, of yeah!! Had a Army buddy early in my career put a built 390 in his. I was with him when he reached the break point on the rebuilt engine and really opened it up. WOW!!
Old 11-20-21, 06:41 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 965 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
I usually compare the Rambler Marlin to the Ford Mustang. They made less than 15,000 Marlins in 1965 and 1966. Meanwhile, Ford made over 1 million Mustangs.... One is very rare. One is very valuable. IMO, the Marlin had the coolest trunk of any production car from that era!

Now if you are talking something vintage but not really collectible, then ready to ride, cleaned and serviced is the way to go.
Old 11-21-21, 10:43 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
I usually compare the Rambler Marlin to the Ford Mustang. They made less than 15,000 Marlins in 1965 and 1966. Meanwhile, Ford made over 1 million Mustangs.... One is very rare. One is very valuable. IMO, the Marlin had the coolest trunk of any production car from that era!

Now if you are talking something vintage but not really collectible, then ready to ride, cleaned and serviced is the way to go.

had to google that one. Those are good looking cars

​​​​found an article that stated the real problem was the Marlin was basically too big.
When the world wanted pony cars, it was more a mid size (Chevelle, Monte Carlo ish in size)

styling I can see being controversial, but AMC never shied away from bold designs. Reminds me a little of a early generation 'Cuda

(hmmmmmm-- Barracuda, Marlin (and Marlin being based on the Tarpon prototype) plus the Mako shark Corvette prototype -- There was more focus on fish back then it seems)
Old 11-21-21, 01:02 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18401 Post(s)
Liked 4,527 Times in 3,362 Posts
There are quite a few quality repaints and "restored" bikes which I wouldn't entirely ignore.

However, if you are looking at pure "profit", then you have to consider the cost of the build.

So, if you can repaint and rebadge for $50, it might be worth it. If it costs you $300, then that takes a big bite out of the profit.

Likewise for buying a bunch of new components at retail prices.

For a "rider", I don't care about a mix of Shimano, Suntour, Campagnolo, etc. As long as it functions together.

But, to sell, a lot of people demand a matching groupset.

Maximizing profit. If it is a top end bike with a good groupset, you may do well selling it as a complete bike.

For a more ordinary bike....

Strip and sell it off one piece at a time, especially if it either came with mixed components, something is exceptionally rough or damaged, or if the groupset is more valuable than the frame.

One other option is to do a quick cleaning and make sure everything is functioning. Good (but not expensive tires?)
Old 11-21-21, 08:54 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,755 Times in 941 Posts
Cleaned up and sold "as found" will reap the best profit every time, assuming that "as found" is original in all ways. Restored will, more often than not, create a loss in the pocket book but will offer a wealth of learning for the restorer.
Old 11-22-21, 02:45 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,832 Times in 1,998 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Javelin, of yeah!! Had a Army buddy early in my career put a built 390 in his. I was with him when he reached the break point on the rebuilt engine and really opened it up. WOW!!
I would take a Trans Am AMX in battle paint.