Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Questions about some Columbus tubings

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-15, 07:49 AM
cpsqlrwn
OldSchool

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts

Perhaps someone can provide me with some clarifications about some specific Columbus tubing. I have seen some bikes recently with Brain tubing and with Neuron tubing.

It seems as though the Brain tubing might have changed a little over time. There is a Torelli Super Strada for sale on Craigslist with Brain tubing and the tubing is standard size. I thought Brain was oversized tubing. Is it true that early on it was a standard size tubing and nothing particularly special and then later on it evolved into an oversized tubing that was held in higher regard? Did standard size Brain tubing come out as Columbus was moving away from SLX?

With regard to the Neuron tubing, was that always an oversized tubing and what is the general consensus as to its performance, stiffness, durability, etc.?

And then there is whether there are elliptical features on these tubings. I am just a little confused at this point and trying to sort this all out.

Also should add that I am inquiring about older (early to mid 90's) versions of these tubings, not anything that might be recently produced.
Thanks for any info!
Old 10-20-15, 09:15 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Im sure that if you Google Comumbus tubing you will find multiple charts showing their product line. Current and probably also past. That may not answer all your questions but would provide a good start.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 10-20-15, 11:26 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
This chart is from an article that appeared in a Bicycle Guide article in 1996 and compares Columbus tubesets. The specs for Brain in this article show it is OS, although Brain was also available in standard diameter tubes. With a tensile strength of 900 MPa - the same as SLX which is Cyclex alloy - it's a safe bet Brain is also Cyclex.

Neuron has a tensile strength of 1200 MPa, so is a later alloy than Cyclex - probably Nivacrom or Niobium.

Description of Brain:

Brain - We strongly recommend Columbus Brain for cyclecross designs. This tube set is an excellent choice for creating a light, tough and strong cyclecross frame. Brain tubes feature round over-sized diameters that offer good resistance to accidental impacts. This allows for excellent durability for the life of the frame. Brain Tubes can either be lugged or fillet brazed. Large choice of wall thickness and butted diameters to strengthen your cyclecross frame. Brain tubing can also be used on either a road or track frame.

Brain OS (0.8-0.5-0.8) is no longer in the Columbus catalogue. However, they do draw it upon request for some builders. For some very big frames, it can be useful. It was replaced by Zona, Neuron, Genius, and EL-OS.

Description of Neuron:

Neuron (0.7-0.5-0.7). This is a very sophisticated tubing, much finer that one would guess from the 0.5mm wall thickness. Columbus pulled out almost all the stops to make a lightweight 0.5mm tubing, using zone butting, elliptical butting, the works. The result is a tubing that is lightweight, yet very stiff. Mondonico continues to offer frames made of Neuron because it makes a good, stiff, light frame. This tubing still has a very devoted following among serious steel frame lovers.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 10-20-15, 07:18 PM
cpsqlrwn
OldSchool

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thanks very much Scooper!!!

I also found this page which is a great reference. At the bottom, it indicates the dimensions of the oversized tubing and lists the specific tubesets that fall into each category.

Columbus Steel Tubesets - AstroCycloAlpineWorld

Last edited by cpsqlrwn; 10-20-15 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-20-15, 07:49 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by cpsqlrwn
Thanks very much Scooper!!!

I also found this page which is a great reference. At the bottom, it indicates the dimensions of the oversized tubing and lists the specific tubesets that fall into each category.

Columbus Steel Tubesets - AstroCycloAlpineWorld
That's a good link for future reference. Thanks.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.