Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need Metric Century Training Advise

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-15, 11:48 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts

I've been training for a metric century for the last six months. My strategy has been to increase my weekend ride about 10% every two weeks. The ride is in three weeks on November 22. During the week, I ride about 15-18 miles with hills on Tuesday nights and about 11- 18 miles on Thursdays. In October, my long weekend rides have been 53, 57, 57, 40 (bad day for me and with 30+ MPH cross wind) and 60 mile rides. My plan was to ride 60 miles again this Saturday and then a shorter ride (about 40 miles) the week before the metric century. My problem is that I won't have the time to ride the planned 60 mile repeat this weekend. I may be able to ride 30-35 miles Friday night, but that's it for this weekend.

Do you think I'll be OK for the MC in three weeks, with two relatively shorter rides this weekend and next weekend? How would you handle this differently?
Old 11-02-15, 11:50 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22597 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
You will probably do fine. The main difference you will need to plan for is nutrition, both calories AND hydration.
Old 11-02-15, 11:52 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
I've been training for a metric century for the last six months. My strategy has been to increase my weekend ride about 10% every two weeks. The ride is in three weeks on November 22. During the week, I ride about 15-18 miles with hills on Tuesday nights and about 11- 18 miles on Thursdays. In October, my long weekend rides have been 53, 57, 57, 40 (bad day for me and with 30+ MPH cross wind) and 60 mile rides. My plan was to ride 60 miles again this Saturday and then a shorter ride (about 40 miles) the week before the metric century. My problem is that I won't have the time to ride the planned 60 mile repeat this weekend. I may be able to ride 30-35 miles Friday night, but that's it for this weekend.

Do you think I'll be OK for the MC in three weeks, with two relatively shorter rides this weekend and next weekend? How would you handle this differently?
You'll be fine.

Use the time you've got this Friday to go a bit harder. Doing 2 intervals of 20 minutes with 5 minutes rest in between will help make up for the lack of distance.

Do these same intervals on your Tuesday and Thursday ride next week.

You'll be fine either way, but adding some intensity now will make you a bit stronger for your event.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 11-02-15, 11:56 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
You'll do ok as long as long as you keep with the pace you're familiar with. If you are pushing it, you should consider your hydration and food intake. 200-250 calories per hour for a good pace, less for an easy pace should keep you fueled for the entire ride.

You've already 57 and its only 5 more miles to a metric. Good luck!
Old 11-02-15, 11:58 AM
OnyxTiger
Bonafide N00bs

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Quick CX 4, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.3C Disc, 2012 Fuji SST 2.0 Ultegra Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Metric Century... as in... 62 miles?

Unless you're looking to race, I don't see how you would not be ready for this. Seeing that you're joining an organized event, they should have intermittent stops to help you out if you ever are concerned about fuel and mech stops.

Biggest concern for me on longer rides is comfort and fuel. As long as your saddle is nice to you and you don't get hungry on the ride (which usually means it's too late), then I'd clip in at the start with full confidence looking forward to enjoy the ride.
Old 11-02-15, 12:02 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

I drink about 700-750ml/ hr and eat a hearty breakfast 90 minutes before the ride (one egg and one serving of oatmeal with raisins, peanut butter and almonds). During the ride I eat at the 60 minute mark with half a Cliff bar, then the other half 30 minutes later. Every 30 minutes I eat something else: banana, home made energy bar (175 cal/ bar). If I eat shot blocks, I space the three out over 60 minutes. It's been working fairly well so far.
Old 11-02-15, 12:08 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
If you've already done rides in the 50-60 mile range, I'd bet money on you being able to do a full Century, let alone a Metric. Sounds like you've pretty much done one of those already give or take a few miles.
Old 11-02-15, 12:44 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
You're eating a heck of a lot for a 60 mile ride... Don't mess with success at this point though.

You've already ridden 53, 57, 60 miles - I reckon you are ready right now. Have fun!
Old 11-02-15, 12:49 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
I've been training for a metric century for the last six months...

Unless your intent is to finish at a blistering pace, you were probably ready three or four months ago. Your long rides are so close that you won't notice the difference -- the metric might well be easier.
Old 11-02-15, 02:34 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Unless your intent is to finish at a blistering pace, you were probably ready three or four months ago.
^ This. Along with @dr_lha, I'd bet on you ride a full century, especially if you're not aiming to break any records.
Old 11-02-15, 03:13 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
If you're already riding 50-something miles on the weekends, why do you need to train for a metric? Just ride a few extra miles.

IMHO, people get overly anxious about "training" for metrics and centuries. Just ride and enjoy.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 11-02-15, 03:20 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22597 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
If you're already riding 50-something miles on the weekends, why do you need to train for a metric? Just ride a few extra miles.

IMHO, people get overly anxious about "training" for metrics and centuries. Just ride and enjoy.
Correct. I think a lot of newbies compare a century to running a marathon. Running a marathon is hard, and if your longest run was a 1/2 marathon you are probably NOT ready. But if you can ride 35-40 miles you can ride all day long if you eat and hydrate properly.
Old 11-02-15, 03:24 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Advice vs. Advise | Dictionary.com Blog
Old 11-02-15, 03:36 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
i think you will be fine. If you are hoping to set a certain pace, it might be helpful to rest before the ride. How did you feel after the other rides? how many miles do you ride weekly?
Old 11-02-15, 04:57 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

So in other words, you've pretty much ridden 3 metric centuries already? The two 57 mile rides and the 60 mile ride are all pretty much metric centuries. A metric century is 62 miles.

If that is the case, don't worry about it ... do what you've got planned and you should be fine. You're already well acquainted with the metric century distance.

As someone else mentioned, you could quite likely ride a full imperial century.
Old 11-02-15, 05:17 PM
etw

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I agree that you are likely more than ready. As mentioned, ride at your own pace remember to drink enough. You do need nutrition, but not as much as some think. I have watched people at organized charity rides pig out at rest stops as if they just got off of a desert island.

I agree with the statement that I have seen that it is much harder to go faster than it is to go further.
Old 11-02-15, 07:33 PM
Bassmanbob

It's funny. When I trained for a half century, I learned I wasn't eating enough. Now I am eat g too much? Isn't it supposed to e roughly 175- 200 cal/ hr?

To to answer a question asked: how do I feel after the long weekend rides? I usually feel soar, but pretty good if I limit the ride to 50 miles or less. If I go over 50, I'm pretty spent and we'd to lay down for about 2"- 30 minutes before I get up and go shower. Then I'm taking ibuprofen the rest of the day. I guess one of the things I'm concerned about is the possibility of strong wind that day. The ride is right next to the ocean, going north for 30 miles and then south for the next 30. If there's a strong wind, it's going to be a killer.
Old 11-02-15, 08:22 PM
ray.garza

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus Limited and 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Limit your rides to 3.5 hrs on the weekend and do Intervals as suggested. Also don't forget to work on your core (planks once or twice a week). This will help you maintain your posture on the long rides and not have you slouching over the handlebars at the end of the ride. Good luck and ride at the intensity you trained at and not what other are riding at.
Old 11-02-15, 08:40 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

It's funny. When I trained for a half century, I learned I wasn't eating enough. Now I am eat g too much? Isn't it supposed to e roughly 175- 200 cal/ hr?

To to answer a question asked: how do I feel after the long weekend rides? I usually feel soar, but pretty good if I limit the ride to 50 miles or less. If I go over 50, I'm pretty spent and we'd to lay down for about 2"- 30 minutes before I get up and go shower. Then I'm taking ibuprofen the rest of the day. I guess one of the things I'm concerned about is the possibility of strong wind that day. The ride is right next to the ocean, going north for 30 miles and then south for the next 30. If there's a strong wind, it's going to be a killer.
1) You do know that a half century (50 miles) is really close to a metric century (62 miles / 100 kilometres) ... so your training shouldn't be much different.

2) Eat between 100 and 300 cal/hour. I generally settle in somewhere around 200 cal/hour.

On metric century (100K) we rode on Sunday, I ate:

Breakfast: 491 cal
1 large banana: 121 cal
Half a lamington: 99 cal
1 lollie: 20 cal
1 granola bar: 167 cal
1 small drumstick ice cream: 234 cal

Total: 1132 cal for 5 hours and 16 min of rolling time = 215 cal/hour including breakfast.

3) It's sore. To soar is to fly. Sorry, but I've seen this one a few times lately in various places. Where are you sore? What hurts? After doing that many metric centuries, you should be getting used to them by now.
Old 11-02-15, 08:44 PM
smarkinson

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Mmmmm lamingtons.

I bet most people reading this don't know what a lamington is.

Poor buggers.
Old 11-02-15, 08:58 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by smarkinson
Mmmmm lamingtons.

Poor buggers.
Yeah ... probably not.

There was only one left when we got to the control, so Rowan and I split it.
Old 11-02-15, 09:02 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by smarkinson
i sure didn't... until now.

Old 11-02-15, 09:10 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by GuitarBob
i sure didn't... until now.

Yeah ... that's them. Yummy!
Old 11-03-15, 05:40 AM
Bassmanbob

Originally Posted by Machka
1) You do know that a half century (50 miles) is really close to a metric century (62 miles / 100 kilometres) ... so your training shouldn't be much different.

3) It's sore. To soar is to fly. Sorry, but I've seen this one a few times lately in various places. Where are you sore? What hurts? After doing that many metric centuries, you should be getting used to them by now.
My did the half century in April. After that, I had to almost stop riding for about two months due to knee pain from riding a poorly fitting bike. It wasn't my normal bike, and I pulled my Ilio-tibial band. So when I started training, I started with only 25 mile rides. Summer family obligations and a death in the family limited my summer riding too. So yes, I know the distances aren't that great, but I don't want to kill myself doing it.

Im sorry for my poor spelling. It's something which I've always struggled. Working in a science related field has limited this shortcoming, but certainly not eliminated my problem.

When I ride the over 50 mile rides, I am sore all over-- from my neck to my ankles. This includes my hands and arms, belly, shoulders, etc... I try to stay hydrated and take ibuprofen for the next 18 hours.

Last edited by Bassmanbob; 11-03-15 at 05:43 AM.
Old 11-03-15, 05:48 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

My did the half century in April. After that, I had to almost stop riding for about two months due to knee pain from riding a poorly fitting bike. It wasn't my normal bike, and I pulled my Ilio-tibial band. So when I started training, I started with only 25 mile rides. Summer family obligations and a death in the family limited my summer riding too. So yes, I know the distances aren't that great, but I don't want to kill myself doing it.

Im sorry for my poor spelling. It's something which I've always struggled. Working in a science related field has limited this shortcoming, but certainly not eliminated my problem.

When I ride the over 50 mile rides, I am sore all over-- from my neck to my ankles. This includes my hands and arms, belly, shoulders, etc... I try to stay hydrated and take ibuprofen for the next 18 hours.
Have you been fitted on your bicycle?

Can you post a photo of you on your bicycle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.