Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Marin Presidio: Alfine 8 vs 11 reliability

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-19, 06:38 PM
Aottaviano1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello folks. This is my first post and happy to be part of the forum.

I’d like to get some recent opinions on the Alfine 11 IGH. I’m between the Marin Presidio 3 and 4. The first comes with the Nexus 8 which widely seems to be regarded as pretty solid. The Presidio 4 has the Alfine 11. I’d prefer the 3 extra gears but not at the sacrifice of reliability / durability.

I’ve probably read every article / post there is on the topic. Much of it seems to be at least a few years old so it would be good to see if things have improved or what the current opinion is. Thank you in advance.
Old 10-29-19, 08:37 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Every time I've been considering an IGH build I find myself with the same questions. The 8 doesn't fit my application and the 11 has a questionable reliability reputation. I suspect IGH satisfaction is inversely proportional to the amount of use the bicycle receives. I could be wrong. It seems those happiest with the IGH 11 mostly tootle around and demand little. As it is now, I'm not sure the 11 could stand up to the rigors a certifiable Clyde demands for a 6k+ annual mile commute schedule. A 10sp Tiagra long cage delivers with unwavering reliability... why mess with that? I'm zeroing in on 20k miles on that Tiagra with nothing more than a single cable replacement. Either I got lucky or I really don't need an IGH.

Like you, I cannot find recent info or opinion. I know you're a recent member but I nominate you to "take one for the team," and go for it. Post your experiences.

-Kedosto
Old 10-29-19, 11:34 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I have experience with Alfine8. It is very robust and reliable.
Old 10-29-19, 04:48 PM
Aottaviano1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Presidio 4 with Alfine 11 on the way. I keep you all posted on how it turns out.
Old 12-10-19, 02:14 PM
Aottaviano1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Circling back on this. Traded the Presidio 3 (Nexus 8) for the Presidio 4 (Alfine 11). I thought the N8 was pretty smooth and quiet but the update so far is that the Nexus 11 has been eerily silent (in a good way). It shifts so smoothly, there has been no clicking or grinding of any kind. It has been absolutely faultless in the little time that I have owned it. It's one been a few hundred miles but so far I am very impressed.
Old 12-10-19, 02:49 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
I just looked that bike up. Pretty cool mount. I hope it continues to serve you well.
Old 04-21-20, 12:12 PM
Aottaviano1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Coming back to this thread to give my update on the Alfine 11. After adding a few hundred more miles it continues to impress me. The Alfine 11 is just as smooth as ever and continues to be silent in its operation. I was somewhat hesitant to get it over the Alfine 8 (which seems to be considered more robust) but so far it has not disappointed. Will be changing the fluid in it this week as it's recommended. The ease of doing this was a huge selling point for me over the A8 which is grease packed and more involved to service.
Likes For Aottaviano1:
Old 04-21-20, 01:27 PM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
The only IGH I've ever liked was the SRAM automatix. Every other IGH I've tried was really underwhelming and it makes me realize why they aren't more popular.

They are also potentially dangerous.

Like, if your shifter cable goes out of tune on a derailleur bike, then you just have some gear skipping. If your shifter cable goes out of tune on an IGH bike you just fall through the pedal.

Well, there is the NuVinci N360 which does not have the problem of falling between gears because it is a CVT. But it is really heavy.
Old 07-19-20, 10:16 AM
severs1966
Former MTB mag editor

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
... the 11 has a questionable reliability reputation...
-Kedosto
The 11 HAD a questionable reliability reputation.
The Alfine 11 was updated due to these reputed reliability issues. It went from being a 7000 series to a 7001 series, several years ago. I just bought one, but I wouldn't have done, if this design update hadn't happened.
Old 07-19-20, 11:06 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Hubstripping https://hubstripping.wordpress.com/ is another resource..
Old 07-20-20, 02:21 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Interesting bike. The Presidio 4 reminds me of a more modern Swiss Armee bike (that is a big compliment!). I personally do not like flat bars, but that could be changed.

I looked at the website and also found the Muirwoods RC. That looks like a fun bike, especially with a set of Rene Herse tires to replace the heavy commuter tires. Iike the swept back bars on that bike (and it is steel) If would also be nice with a set of gravel drops but that might be more trouble and expense than it is worth. I am not usually an N+1 type, but an IGH steed 'may' be in my future.