Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cotton kills?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cotton kills?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-14, 09:40 AM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cotton kills?

I always heard that cotton is miserable on a bike and that wicking polyester jerseys are the way to go. I've taken a few rides recently wearing a cotton T-shirt and it doesn't seem that bad at mid-upper 80's temps. Maybe if it was hotter or more humid, the cotton would end up soggy and soaked, but poly is pretty miserable in sticky heat, too.

How about you... ever try a cotton tee? Was it that bad?
Old 07-07-14, 09:42 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
if you're going slow, it probably doesn't matter
Old 07-07-14, 09:45 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I wore cotton shirts and jeans on my paper route as a kid, riding a 35 lb bike with 200 rolled newspapers.

...and survived to tell the harrowing tale.

Nice story, Grampa. Now tell us about the hike to school in waist-deep snow, uphill both ways.
Old 07-07-14, 09:46 AM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantoj
I always heard that cotton is miserable on a bike and that wicking polyester jerseys are the way to go. I've taken a few rides recently wearing a cotton T-shirt and it doesn't seem that bad at mid-upper 80's temps. Maybe if it was hotter or more humid, the cotton would end up soggy and soaked, but poly is pretty miserable in sticky heat, too.

How about you... ever try a cotton tee? Was it that bad?
In hot weather it's probably fine if you aren't working too hard. I wore a cotton T on hike. My back was soaking wet from the sweat and pack and when I stopped for lunch I was quite cold despite the 70+ temps. In cold weather cotton is a very bad idea. In hot weather it's mostly just uncomfortable if you are exercising. I always wear a wool base layer and have no issues with sticky polyester. It's actually quite comfortable.
Old 07-07-14, 10:29 AM
nuke_diver

Bikes: early 80's steel 12speed, CAAD10-3 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only wear cotton T-shirts when riding. I'm not a fan of single purpose clothing and a bike jersey is single purpose. I walk the dog then go riding with the same Tshirt. I'm doing it for the exercise and sweating is part of the deal so I don't care that much. I realize I don't fit the cycling culture but that's ok.
Old 07-07-14, 10:41 AM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdedes
if you're going slow, it probably doesn't matter
Can you elaborate on this thought? I'm not that fast, but I can still sweat about as much as anyone, I guess.
Old 07-07-14, 10:46 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantoj
Can you elaborate on this thought? I'm not that fast, but I can still sweat about as much as anyone, I guess.
when I commute to meetings, I'll wear a cotton dress shirt with a cotton undershirt. typically, i'm cruising in at 15km/h. i try to minimize sweating by dialing back effort level. and i'm not interested in wicking sweat onto a dress shirt. or if i'm taking the kids to the park, picking up groceries, i'll ride easy in non-technical clothing.
Old 07-07-14, 10:47 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
but on a recreational ride, a training ride, etc. purposeful clothing is more comfortable, more practical.
Old 07-07-14, 10:54 AM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah it won't kill you. Neither will wearing burlap underwear but that doesn't mean there aren't better options out there.
Old 07-07-14, 11:09 AM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by therhodeo
Yeah it won't kill you. Neither will wearing burlap underwear but that doesn't mean there aren't better options out there.
Yep.

Cotton is just not a good material for exercising, be it in the gym, or on a bike.
Old 07-07-14, 11:15 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
I don't wear cycling specific jerseys, just some wicking sports t-shirts from Target. I sweat a lot! It doesn't matter what I am doing, when it's humid out, I have sweat rolling down my back and stinging my eyes from my forehead.

I just started wearing the sports t-shirts. They are not tight, quite loose in fact as I am very uncomfortable in tight clothing (biking shorts are not cool at all, they are very hot.) First time I wore the sports shirt I was amazed. I got home from about an hour and a half ride and my shirt was still bone dry. A regular cotton t-shirt would have been soaked and heavily hanging off my shoulders.

I have the thoughts of getting some more regular colored of these shirts for work. It is 115° and 99% humidity in the summer on the floor at work. Inside my air conditioned office it is currently 85° with 2 air conditioners going. My cotton t-shirts are soaking wet from an hour after I get into work until I am leaving. I don't mind sweating. I just hate the feeling of my shirt heavily hanging off my shoulders from the sweat.
Old 07-07-14, 11:16 AM
JamesRL

Bikes: Fiori Roma, Currently building a Bianchi, Trek 330, formerly Monshee Nomad, Favorit, Bianchi Sport SX, Frankenbike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Cotton Kills mantra comes from winter wear, and its often used by winter campers and skiers.

Imagine you are deep in the woods, lost, and exerting yourself. You sweat and instead of wicking it away, the cotton absorbs the sweat and keeps it against your skin.

Then you become exhausted, and you are cold, and you have wet cotton against your skin.

I've done much skiing both downhill and cross country in the winter, and I can confirm that cotton does not feel great as your first layer. If you sweat then the wind comes up and the temp drops it feels awful. As a second layer its ok, but can make you feel clammy in some conditions. Better no cotton in winter.
Old 07-07-14, 11:49 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
I usually wear cotton when training or riding casually. I usually race in lycra. If I was made of money I'd only ride in Merino wool jerseys, however.
Old 07-07-14, 11:54 AM
martinus

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
This.

Originally Posted by JamesRL
The Cotton Kills mantra comes from winter wear, and its often used by winter campers and skiers.

Imagine you are deep in the woods, lost, and exerting yourself. You sweat and instead of wicking it away, the cotton absorbs the sweat and keeps it against your skin.

Then you become exhausted, and you are cold, and you have wet cotton against your skin.

I've done much skiing both downhill and cross country in the winter, and I can confirm that cotton does not feel great as your first layer. If you sweat then the wind comes up and the temp drops it feels awful. As a second layer its ok, but can make you feel clammy in some conditions. Better no cotton in winter.
Old 07-07-14, 12:00 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by nuke_diver
I only wear cotton T-shirts when riding. I'm not a fan of single purpose clothing and a bike jersey is single purpose. I walk the dog then go riding with the same Tshirt. I'm doing it for the exercise and sweating is part of the deal so I don't care that much. I realize I don't fit the cycling culture but that's ok.
Nothing stopping you from walking the dog in full kit.
Old 07-07-14, 12:48 PM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
I wear a cotton polyester blend T-shirt in Safety Green, and it feels the same as my 100% polyester shirt in Construction Orange.

In cold weather, I wear fleece...
Old 07-07-14, 12:50 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
It's not a big deal in warm temps, certainly not upper 80's. You'll probably find a quality jersey to be more comfortable and the pockets in the back are handy.

I'd strongly recommend against cotton for cold weather riding. That's a great way to get hypothermia. Been there. Done that.
Old 07-07-14, 01:23 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Cotton, in the humid FL summer, equals a soaking rag of misery.
Old 07-07-14, 01:40 PM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate
Cotton, in the humid FL summer, equals a soaking rag of misery.
And sore nipples.