Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Anyone have examples of good covered outside bike parking????

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-15, 09:09 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2351 Post(s)
Liked 2,865 Times in 1,560 Posts

My building at work is getting a remodel.

Currently we have bike boxes, which sound great but in practice are not as great as you would think. They are supposed to be for day use only to support commuting, but people regularly store their bikes there and no boxes are available. The boxes are also triangular in shape, so any bikes with rear baskets or panniers don't fit.

I am suggesting to the building manager either inside parking (wall hangers) like our colorado office has or a covered outside area.

Sounds like it is too late for inside parking, but outside may be possible.

Does any one have example of good, covered outside parking?? Good is difficult to be precise on, but I am thinking lots of spots, easy to rack and lock, maybe air station, bench to change shoes.

thanks

Old 06-16-15, 09:50 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
The only outside covered parking I ever used was simply a corner of a parking garage that was boxed off with chainlink (went to the ceiling) and made a complete cage. There were basic slot type bike racks in the cage. (bit better than wheel bender... but not much) People would lock their bikes to that, and carry whatever gear they had into the offices. The whole thing was secured by a key card entrance. You had to be an employee of one of the businesses and on the bike list to enter.

It was simple and safe, but really not all that plush. The showers were located in a restroom at the other end of the parking garage... it was quite suitable. About 20 small lockers for folks hitting any of the 4 showers. Lunch runners as well as cyclists used this shower area. There was also a small gym in the basement of one of the buildings, again, key card access.

This was all to serve a small "campus" of 3 buildings. 3 buildings of offices and one building that was a parking structure with the bike cage and shower areas.
Old 06-16-15, 10:36 AM
eastbay71

Bikes: the bikes own me

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I had the same experience with the parking garage bike storage. It was adequate. Honestly most people I worked with would bring their bikes to their cubicles
Old 06-16-15, 11:07 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by eastbay71
I had the same experience with the parking garage bike storage. It was adequate. Honestly most people I worked with would bring their bikes to their cubicles
Some of the cubes I have worked in would not hold a bike... Not exactly a great working environment... but it was what it was.
Old 06-16-15, 01:17 PM
ro-monster

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You might look at the bike parking at Palo Alto Caltrain Station (Bikestation Palo Alto - Bikestation | bikestation.com). I personally haven't used it but it seems to be a pretty well-furnished facility.

The two facilities I use regularly are simple bike racks under a roof, but they work well.

Main Library in downtown San Mateo:

Whole Foods at 1010 Park Place in San Mateo:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SMLibrary.jpg (89.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg
WF.jpg (51.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 06-16-15, 04:37 PM
LGHT

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not sure if it's an option or not, but maybe consider the roof? I worked at a job some years ago that used to have a bike theft problem although all the bikes where locked down on the property in a back parking lot. The solution was to move the bike rack to the roof.
Old 06-16-15, 05:00 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What covers? Most of the places I have been to, make me keep my bike outside. The only place that I am able to keep my bike inside. Is the local branch of the U.S. Post Office.
Old 06-16-15, 07:32 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
My bike's fine outside in all weather though a roof is nice to keep it dry or keep the seat cool on hot sunny days. Oh, and to save having to shovel snow. Most that I've seen have been a fairly simply roof on an angle with steel tube side supports (most typical is a V shape using roughly 5" diameter tube). Sizes vary from maybe 8' x 14' to 100' x 300' or more. Some are also clearly the result of architects letting their creativity run wild (and not always with the best functional success). I've also seen a bunch of lean-to's against buildings.
Old 06-18-15, 02:54 PM
TheHumanCar

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BikeLid - Secure Bicycle Storage
Old 06-18-15, 03:59 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Isn't there a smelly guy with an office? Move his desk outside and put some hangers on the walls of the newly cleared bike room.
Old 06-24-15, 11:33 PM
ro-monster

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
squitrdad, I'm curious to see what facilities you finally end up with. Please let us know what the final result is!
Old 06-25-15, 04:12 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2351 Post(s)
Liked 2,865 Times in 1,560 Posts
I found this site which seems to have some good products, ideas. Time will tell if I get any traction with the Facilities director

it gave me some ideas, like bike parking with a tool stand/pump combo

Dero Bike Racks | We know bike parking

Old 06-25-15, 09:29 PM
jgadamski

Bikes: e-bike and a steel framed roadie

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Daimler Trucks North America opens new bike parking facility on Swan Island - BikePortland.org
Daimler America gets it. Yes, they make cars and trucks. The Portland OR US headquarters are on Swan Island, a 'you can't get there from here' destination. Yet their workers brave a nasty commute to ride to work. With only one road in and out of a 12000 employee job center on Swan Island, Daimler supports safe access and provides secure bike parking for their employees. And they support npGreenway, an advocacy group looking to improve access to Swan Island for bikes and pedestrians. Good on them.