Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

<<< Photography and Cycling >>>

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-12, 06:57 PM
HybridWheeler

Bikes: Trek 7100 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone else get into photography when riding? I doubt some of the hard-core roadies do but for those who like to take things a little slower it's probably fairly popular.

I can't wait to get out there (still waiting on bike to ship) and start taking pictures!

Old 05-30-12, 08:27 PM
thispoorguy

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do a lot of photography stuff (https://www.flickr.com/derango/ is my flickr account. It's a hobby of mine). Just started getting more into cycling and I haven't figured out the best way to carry my gear with me when I'm on the road like that since my main camera setup is a big ol' dSLR. Not exactly light or easy to carry around

If I could figure out how to do it effectively, I'd be totally in.
Old 05-30-12, 08:49 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
A long time ago I sometimes carried a Yaschicamat TLR on rides.
Really appreciate small digital cameras.
Old 05-30-12, 09:01 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I've just recently gotten into photography, or more deeply into photography (bought the DSLR, started posting on photography sites, etc.), but I've been taking photos of where I ride for years with my P&S.

My Flickr site: https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/sets/
Old 05-30-12, 10:27 PM
SurlyLaika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thispoorguy
I do a lot of photography stuff (https://www.flickr.com/derango/ is my flickr account. It's a hobby of mine). Just started getting more into cycling and I haven't figured out the best way to carry my gear with me when I'm on the road like that since my main camera setup is a big ol' dSLR. Not exactly light or easy to carry around

You could get a fair sized handlebar bag. That seems to be how a lot of people do it on bicycle tours. Or you could buy a smaller high end P&S. I just bought a Panasonic Lumix LX5. There's also Canon's S100 and Nikon's P7000 and Samsung's TL-500 and a few others worth considering. I think the small size and quality are a good compromise, although I've never owned a DSLR. Anyway I carry my new camera with my all the time in a padded case on the belt of my backpack but I find walking gives me many more opportunities to shoot. Biking is just too fast and I don't wanna stop to take out the camera and take a picture when I'm already going.
Old 05-31-12, 01:18 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
When I'm on tour I'm always stopping to take photos. A good job I tour solo or I would drive fellow-travellers crazy.

On my everyday rides I just use a little cell phone an only take unusual stuff, roadside animals, flood and disaster, good rainbows, vintage vehicles etc.
Old 05-31-12, 04:43 AM
HybridWheeler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...I haven't figured out the best way to carry my gear with me when I'm on the road like that since my main camera setup is a big ol' dSLR. Not exactly light or easy to carry around ...If I could figure out how to do it effectively, I'd be totally in.
I have a backpack camera bag for my DSLR. It's like a sling over one shoulder and a strap that connects at mid chest level. I use it when we go to the amusement park and such. It's the best way to remain hands free, yet I can release the strap and access my gear quickly.
Old 05-31-12, 04:52 AM
HybridWheeler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SurlyLaika
...Biking is just too fast and I don't wanna stop to take out the camera and take a picture when I'm already going.
That's why I purchased a hybrid. I want to take it a bit slower and enjoy the scenery because my hobby is photography. As my dad use to say, "If you try and rush through life each day you wind up missing the best moments."

That always seemed to stick in my mind for some reason and he's always been right.

I'm just getting into cycling so going fast hasn't really been a thought at the moment. The guys at the bike store said give it time and it will. Most people upgrade their bikes for that very reason, to go faster. Maybe that will happen to me one day but for now....I'm taking her slow and easy my friend.
Old 05-31-12, 04:56 AM
thispoorguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HybridWheeler
I have a backpack camera bag for my DSLR. It's like a sling over one shoulder and a strap that connects at mid chest level. I use it when we go to the amusement park and such. It's the best way to remain hands free, yet I can release the strap and access my gear quickly.
Yeah, I actually tried that the other day. My "small" camera bag is a Tamrac Velocity 7x sling bag. But I found I couldn't get it to stay centered on my back and it felt lopsided.

A good Point and shoot is probably the way to go, but I just spent all my disposable income on the bike
Old 05-31-12, 05:27 AM
Buggington
Young wippersnapper

Bikes: 2009 Land Rover G4 Hardtail, Fausto Coppi San Remo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice photos! I'm getting into photography but unfortunately there aren't many interesting views around here - within my current cycling range at least! I tend to just sling my camera bag over my shoulder (quite a small one) and use the waist strap on my rucksack to stop it from swinging around like crazy.

Anyway, seeing as we're exchanging Flickrs, https://www.flickr.com/photos/74451323@N02/
Old 05-31-12, 07:53 AM
thispoorguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buggington
Anyway, seeing as we're exchanging Flickrs, https://www.flickr.com/photos/74451323@N02/
Not to derail this thread further, but Nice! I've been meaning to try some light painting stuff at some point...
Old 05-31-12, 08:14 AM
dirty tiger
Mostly Harmless

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just started using Lo-Fi plastic toy cameras on my rides.
Old 05-31-12, 08:14 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I have one of those smaller Topeak bags that fit on the stem. It is just the right size for my Panasonic point and shoot. I like to take pictures when cycling on vacation and them use the images as wallpaper on my computer when I get home.
Old 05-31-12, 08:34 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

I have carried mine in a pannier on my touring bicycle, but it does take up quite a bit of room. I tend to use it if we're driving somewhere, or at home. My favourite types of photographs are little scenes set up in my "studio".

OK, so I use the term "studio" very loosely ... I set up my backdrop and scene on my dining room table.

As for cycling, my point & shooot works quite well. I've been impressed with the quality of most of the photos. And my most recent one has a lot more settings, a lot more user control.
Old 05-31-12, 08:50 AM
dirty tiger
Mostly Harmless

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dirtytiger/
Old 05-31-12, 08:54 AM
spock
Peripheral Visionary

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
In the last year or so, I have been carrying my film cameras on almost every ride... Little camera bag inside the backpack... It's either my Yashica Electro 35, Yashica fx-3, or Minolta sr-t 201 (35mm full sensor all of them )... I like the fact that I can stop and park anywhere I want with my bike and take a picture. Mobility and versatility... My Flickr ...
Old 05-31-12, 03:32 PM
HybridWheeler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use to have a Flickr account with nearly 1,000 photos but paying the monthly fee wasn't something I needed to keep doing so I took it off line. No, it wasn't a huge fee but then again my photos weren't making me any money so...

Anyway, I may open an account back up on Photobucket, which seems to be a better platform. At least it's rated much higher by people. I'm sure there is a cost to that also but now that I'm getting more into cycling my photos will be geared more towards that so starting over isn't a problem. I still have all my photos backed up if I felt the need to upload again.

Yes, I've often thought about ditching my heavy/bulky DSLR and purchasing a quality P&S which would more than likely out perform my Nikon and three lenses. But again, that's more money I don't really have right now.

I'd love a small P&S that is water proof and rugged. Kinda like those ones folks use for hiking. I've seen them on eBay. That way it would be MUCH easier to carry while cycling and if I got caught out in the rain or dropped it, no worries!
Old 05-31-12, 03:57 PM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If riding just to go fast is what's important to you, don't bother with a camera, no matter how plain and simple or how expensive and fancy. If you ride as I generally do, to see the sights and record what appeals, then by all means, do it! And even when it's just a straight-down-to-the-farmers'-market-and-back ride, I take the P&S.
Old 05-31-12, 05:41 PM
SurlyLaika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's why I purchased a hybrid. I want to take it a bit slower and enjoy the scenery because my hobby is photography. As my dad use to say, "If you try and rush through life each day you wind up missing the best moments."

That always seemed to stick in my mind for some reason and he's always been right.

I'm just getting into cycling so going fast hasn't really been a thought at the moment. The guys at the bike store said give it time and it will. Most people upgrade their bikes for that very reason, to go faster. Maybe that will happen to me one day but for now....I'm taking her slow and easy my friend.
I think you misunderstood me. I actually go comparatively slow. My bike is a 30 lb beast that I hate carrying up stairs. I'm not a racer by any means. I don't use brifters or SPDs or wear lycra, but I miss a lot of photo opportunities biking even at 10 or mph compared to walking at 2mph. Btw, I live in Korea so cities are pretty densely populated. I could miss a lot in a single block. Walking with a neck strap is the best way to take pictures here, but still I carry my little P&S in a belt pouch just in case I stop at a park or cafe or see something interesting.
Old 05-31-12, 06:10 PM
HybridWheeler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, I didn't misunderstand you I just didn't have enough detail. lol I always say that to my wife. ha... No need to explain...I guess the difference is I won't mind stopping once I get going. For me that will be half the fun! Cycling/Photography. In time, once I get in better shape... I'll be riding more for serious exercise/speed I'm sure.

LYCRA ROCKS!! jk..
Old 05-31-12, 08:31 PM
Wolfvegas

Bikes: CCM 21 speed big box special.....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Put it in a camera bag, and put the camera bag inside a big t-shirt balled up and then put that in the bottom of a backpack to distribute the weight out.
Old 05-31-12, 09:06 PM
SnowJob
Dirt junkie.

Bikes: Surly Ice Cream Truck, Peacock Groove road bikem, Salsa Fargo

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Sometimes I carry my camera in a pack while I'm biking, thinking I'll take some amazing Ansel Adams-esque wilderness photography. Usually after I get going I just want to keep going and so the camera just adds dead weight. Once in a while I get it out and take a few pictures that turn out to be spectacularly boring when I get back home.
Old 05-31-12, 09:17 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

I use to have a Flickr account with nearly 1,000 photos but paying the monthly fee wasn't something I needed to keep doing so I took it off line. No, it wasn't a huge fee but then again my photos weren't making me any money so...
Yeah, that $1.75/month fee is really steep.

Yes, I've often thought about ditching my heavy/bulky DSLR and purchasing a quality P&S which would more than likely out perform my Nikon and three lenses. But again, that's more money I don't really have right now.

I'd love a small P&S that is water proof and rugged. Kinda like those ones folks use for hiking. I've seen them on eBay. That way it would be MUCH easier to carry while cycling and if I got caught out in the rain or dropped it, no worries!
I wouldn't ditch the DSLR. I've got both now, and use both for different purposes. I picked up a Nikon Coolpix S3100 p&s for about $140 and Rowan got the newer model about 6 months later for slightly less than that. So you can get a decent p&s that takes decent photos for a reasonable price.
Old 05-31-12, 09:18 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
It's my other pastime and I've been combining the two together of late. Lots of cycling shots in my photostream on Flickr, and lots of the non-cycling shots were taken while out riding.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/yospiff/

I carry a Canon G11 in my jersey pocket when out on my road bike. When the purpose of an outing is mainly photography, I have an older mountain bike with a padded rack trunk to safely tote my 50D.
Old 05-31-12, 09:19 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
It's my other pastime and I've been combining the two together of late. Lots of cycling shots in my photostream on Flickr, and lots of the non-cycling shots were taken while out riding.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/yospiff/

Just started getting more into cycling and I haven't figured out the best way to carry my gear with me when I'm on the road like that since my main camera setup is a big ol' dSLR. Not exactly light or easy to carry around

I carry a Canon G11 in my jersey pocket when out on my road bike. When the purpose of an outing is mainly photography, I have an older mountain bike with a padded rack trunk to safely tote my 50D.

Port Bolivar by Yo Spiff, on Flickr

Rack Trunk for 50D by Yo Spiff, on Flickr

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.