Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Some questions about clipless setup I just got.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-12, 06:58 PM
spock
Peripheral Visionary

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

It's my first time trying clipless and after I tried it very shortly, I have some questions. I got some look style used pedals, cleats, and shoes. Pedals are cheap Forte classic ones and I got a pair of new look Keo 4.5 float cleats. Not even sure if they are the right ones for the pedal, but they clip in and out as they should.

There is some back and forth play when I pedal. I think I understand that they should move slightly in and out due to float, but is the foot supposed to move slightly back and forth? When I pedal, my foot moves due to back and forth play and it makes noises when it does that so it's kind of annoying... I only went for like a mile ride so maybe my pedaling technique does that... I am not really sure... Back and forth play in the cleat is about 1/4 of an inch.
Old 11-02-12, 07:01 PM
mr_pedro

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
It should not be moving to the front and back if that is what you mean. The float means that you can twist your feet a bit from side to side before it clicks out.
Old 11-02-12, 07:05 PM
E.S.
just ride

Bikes: '15 Scott Speedster 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep wrong cleat to pedal combination.
Old 11-02-12, 07:07 PM
spock
Peripheral Visionary

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_pedro
It should not be moving to the front and back if that is what you mean. The float means that you can twist your feet a bit from side to side before it clicks out.
Thanks. That is what I mean... What is the problem? Wrong cleats or bad pedals, or maybe the pedals need adjusting... These are the pedals https://www.ebay.com/itm/330805996171...84.m1439.l2649
Old 11-02-12, 07:08 PM
spock
Peripheral Visionary

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by E.S.
Yep wrong cleat to pedal combination.
Which cleats should I look for?
Old 11-02-12, 07:21 PM
spock
Peripheral Visionary

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I just did a bit of research after your responses and found out that they might be delta and not Keo cleats... Thanks, I thought there was something wrong with the pedals and all look style ones are the same... Oh well, live and learn. I guess Keo are slightly smaller.
Old 11-02-12, 07:47 PM
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
If the pedals didn't come with cleats there are cleats for the pedals. I don't know a lot about forte but I will be the first to say if you plan on sticking with clipless you can get a good set of pedals for an affordable price. Here is an example, and you can get these with free shipping if you get any nashbar item, you can get something as cheap as bottle cage bolts for $1.50 and your entire order is free shipping.

Shimano 105 SPD-SL $55
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...58_-1___202531
Old 11-02-12, 08:25 PM
spock
Peripheral Visionary

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by seymour1910
If the pedals didn't come with cleats there are cleats for the pedals. I don't know a lot about forte but I will be the first to say if you plan on sticking with clipless you can get a good set of pedals for an affordable price. Here is an example, and you can get these with free shipping if you get any nashbar item, you can get something as cheap as bottle cage bolts for $1.50 and your entire order is free shipping.

Shimano 105 SPD-SL $55
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...58_-1___202531
Thanks... Once I get my delta cleats, I'll see how this clipless thing works out and that's why got these cheap pedals. I'll just try them to see if I like the idea because I'm used to clips and then maybe I'll go for something better. I got some pretty good, almost brand new exustar shoes for $10 at the thrift store, tho'.

Last edited by spock; 11-03-12 at 07:43 PM.