Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fear bike issues

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Fear bike issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-17, 04:19 AM
nob
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Fear bike issues

Guys

In the dead of winter, what do most people do if their bike punctures or another issue. It’s so cold out that even if I carry material to fix and learn to fix, it’ll be hard to operate your in these sub zero conditions. And you will have to take gloves out to work on the bike. Another option I guess is just calling a large Uber and putting it in the trunk to the nearest bike shop

Would appreciate some advice

Thx
Old 12-21-17, 08:25 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
courage
Old 12-21-17, 08:40 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Well...if your contingency is to call an Uber...or anyone else for that matter...make sure that you're not riding in a cell dead zone. I once learned that the hard way. Although I'm strictly a roadie...I was out in the countryside on a clear, sunny, but frigid day with temps in the teens (Fahrenheit). I couldn't manipulate anything to get the flat fixed with cycling gloves on. And when I took them off my finger got too cold for it in a minute. I was dressed fine for cycling. But when I stopped, all sweaty, and had to walk about a mile (in cycling shoes no less)...I was freezing!!! Since then...I try to make sure my rides on really cold days remain somewhat close to civilization.

Another option is to utilize some sort of puncture resistant tire liner, like these for example https://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-Fla...&wl13=&veh=sem

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 12-21-17 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-21-17, 09:06 AM
nob
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
any drawbacks in ride quality to using the tire liner
Old 12-21-17, 09:06 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by nob
Guys

In the dead of winter, what do most people do if their bike punctures or another issue. It’s so cold out that even if I carry material to fix and learn to fix, it’ll be hard to operate your in these sub zero conditions. And you will have to take gloves out to work on the bike. Another option I guess is just calling a large Uber and putting it in the trunk to the nearest bike shop

Would appreciate some advice

Thx
First, train yourself to fix flats in the cold. Better still, carry a spare tube which is a lot faster. Wear fingerless wool gloves.

Secondly, if you can join a group or club that will help you in emergencies, join. In Toronto CAA has bicycle transport services. I also recently joined Toronto Cycling Network.
Old 12-21-17, 09:23 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Never flatted a studded tire, very beefy, thick casing. Latex gloves will work some to keep your hands warm and clean. Good bike prep and check works wonders.
Old 12-21-17, 05:17 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Well...if your contingency is to call an Uber...or anyone else for that matter...make sure that you're not riding in a cell dead zone. I once learned that the hard way. Although I'm strictly a roadie...I was out in the countryside on a clear, sunny, but frigid day with temps in the teens (Fahrenheit). I couldn't manipulate anything to get the flat fixed with cycling gloves on. And when I took them off my finger got too cold for it in a minute. I was dressed fine for cycling. But when I stopped, all sweaty, and had to walk about a mile (in cycling shoes no less)...I was freezing!!! Since then...I try to make sure my rides on really cold days remain somewhat close to civilization.

I worry about this, too, and also stay closer to civilization when the temperatures really drop. If I'm feeling a bit more adventurous, I pack some thin gloves/liners (for fixing flats in cold) and an extra sweater (so I don't die if I have to walk.)

The last time something like this happened I was fortunately on an icy road with wide MTB tires, and was able to slowly roll back toward civilization with a half inflated tube
Old 12-21-17, 07:15 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by nob
any drawbacks in ride quality to using the tire liner
It adds 300g to your bike, thus making your bike another bit slower - not sure how much that affects you in winter. I for myself actually stopped using tire liners in winter (still on for my non-puncture proof summer slicks). Reason being that there is so much more tread that the likelihood of anything coming all the way into the tube is much less than on slicks. Haven't had any flat in the last two winter seasons from external objects, whereas this has been a huge issue on slicks before using liners.
Old 12-26-17, 04:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Thorn resistant tubes, inside the Studded MTB tires.. No Problems. OK, its not Fast. neither am I.

Old 12-26-17, 08:58 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
No matter the preparation, skills, tools, and other items carried, an extended stop and even long walk are a possibility. Things happen.

First piece of winter repair gear I carry is a wool sweater vest. Step one of any cold weather repair stop is to add the wool layer under my outer shell.

With that, it's a matter of personal choice deciding how prepared you want to be. There are cell phone people, one-flat people (one tube, one C02), two-flat people (2x tube & C02), N flat people (tubes, patches, pump), and and the more extreme (tubes, patches, spare tire, patches, boot, plus a list of other items that serve as a testament to their previous road misadventures, including perhaps brake cables, shifter cables, spokes, Tyvec square, mylar emergency blanket, various bolts and hardware, zip-ties.)

Whatever you carry, know how to use, otherwise it's just weight and volume. That may mean volunteering at the local bike kitchen to learn.
Old 12-31-17, 12:24 AM
CafeVelo

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Nashbar CX, Trek 2200 trainer bike, Salsa Casseroll commuter, old school FS MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 on space blanket as a contingency. It always worried me to risk flats in January when it's 10°. Tubeless for winter now, always tubeless off-road.