Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why is steel out of favour?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why is steel out of favour?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-21, 12:08 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Care to talk about CF and airplanes? At least 3 CF tails on Airbus airplanes have broken off and killed hundreds!!!
Im sure if we turned this into a discussion on what materials failed and caused planes to crash, metals wouldnt look too good.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-11-21, 12:11 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Im sure if we turned this into a discussion on what materials failed and caused planes to crash, metals wouldnt look too good.
Especially new-fangled aluminium. But to my knowledge no plane made of cast iron has ever crashed.
Old 02-11-21, 09:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
Who is adding weight in 2020/2021? I just don't get the sentiment that it's easy to get under the UCI weight limit.

Most pro teams now are running discs (sponsor choice, but they are). ​​​​​In a practical configuration with medium depth clincher wheels, top spec $10000+ bikes once you add pedals, bottle cages and a Garmin mount (that's how you weigh them for UCI compliance, not naked showroom weight) are well over 6,8kg and to get them as low the pro teams tend to use tubular wheels which the average cyclist simply does not want to faff with. The aero bikes are all over the weight limit to the extent there is a choice of bike to be made whether it is a climbing stage or not.
​​​​​
Sure, if you build a lightweight steel bike with rim brakes and low profile wheels and add carbon components and a CF fork, but that's not quite the apples to apples comparison. The move towards discs is largely driven by what people want to buy; people are willing to accept an extra bit of weight to be able to run hydraulic disc brakes, electronic groupsets and the like. People are also willing to accept a bit of extra weight to get deeper and more aero rims, a bit of extra weight to have a power meter, for tubeless and wider tires and so on. It's not like everyone is a weight weenie to the max; but they just don't want extra weight which adds no utility.

​​​​​​In a very real way the UCI minimum weight limit shifted development from "let's make the lightest bike we possibly can" to "let's make the best bike at the target weight". No weights needed or added.
​​​​​​
​​​​

Umm the Bandito is steel with disc brakes and under the limit just FYI.

Teams are still adding weight. Certainly it has gone down a bit with disc brakes but I cannot believe it has completely stopped because the quest for lightweight hasn't ended. Of course nobody wants extra weight but them's the rules, paley.

Tubulars are pretty much always going to be the realm of the pros.Though us mear mortals do have open tubulars and those are perfect as they have that lovely lightweight casing the gives an excellent ride but easy tire replacement like a clincher.
Old 02-11-21, 11:56 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
I'd use a steel frame for heavy touring for sure. Other than that steel is quite boring to me. To get a good steel bike in your size you'd probably have to go custom to boot which could be just as expensive as a nice carbon bike in your size. So you might as well just get a carbon bike form a good manufacturer backed with a solid warranty on the frame.
Old 02-12-21, 12:48 AM
homelessjoe

Bikes: miyata 83 1000,84 1000,83 610,88 ridge runner ,Schwinn 84 high sierra,88 Cimmeron,86 Passage,84 Stumplumper ,83 Mt Whitney,83 Trek 850,Merckx Century,PX10, RB1,XO 1 XO 4,bunch of stuff like that

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 42 Posts
steel

Worldwide steel is the most widely used frame material........there are more steel bikes on the road than carbon aluminum and titanium combined worldwide.........Giant has really been pumping out the aluminum bikes and they are really popular because people believe they are lighter and stronger but............although aluminum is three times lighter than steel ....steel is three times stronger than aluminum......X - X = 0
Old 02-12-21, 02:18 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Umm the Bandito is steel with disc brakes and under the limit just FYI.

Teams are still adding weight. Certainly it has gone down a bit with disc brakes but I cannot believe it has completely stopped because the quest for lightweight hasn't ended. Of course nobody wants extra weight but them's the rules, paley.

Tubulars are pretty much always going to be the realm of the pros.Though us mear mortals do have open tubulars and those are perfect as they have that lovely lightweight casing the gives an excellent ride but easy tire replacement like a clincher.
It says "as light as 15.9 lbs" or 7,22kg, well over the 6.8kg limit. That's showroom weight, without pedals, power meter, garmin mount, bottle cages and transponder, which is how bikes are actually weighted for UCI compliance. It's over 7.5kg when you add those.

7, 5kg is the weight of my disc brake aero road bike with 45mm deep wheels which has an, essentially, fairly budget CF frame and mechanical Dura-ace. With a top of the line aero road frame, a couple of possible small but expensive upgrades and running tubulars, I could get it down to maybe 7kg. That's close to where many pro aero road bikes with disc brakes actually end up, and why you'll see some of them opt for the more lightweight model for mountain stages, because they can't get the aero bike down to exactly 6,8kg with the kit which their sponsors provide.
​​​​​
Old 02-12-21, 10:50 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Isolated incidents related to one particular issue - which may or may not be related to the material itself - is not logical justification to ignore the thousands of other applications where CF material does the job spectacularly. It's clear you have an unreasonable prejudice against CF. Your choice. Meanwhile, I'm going to continue to enjoy my CF bike every time I ride it.
Not very "isolated" to the hundreds that died and their families.

It is an example tho of the fact that CF is NOT the wonder material that so many think it is. The main "prejudice" I have against CF is the obscene price, because everyone tends to hype it. And because of that people are being ripped off. Ten to 15 thousand dollars for a bike is absolutely crazy.

If you can please explain the difference between say a 5000 dollar CF frame and a 15000 dollar CF frame is.
Old 02-12-21, 11:10 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Twenty years from now, will cyclists be searching for 20+ year old carbon framed bikes on ebay, craigslist, etc...?
Old 02-12-21, 11:26 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts

It is an example tho of the fact that CF is NOT the wonder material that so many think it is. The main "prejudice" I have against CF is the obscene price, because everyone tends to hype it. And because of that people are being ripped off. Ten to 15 thousand dollars for a bike is absolutely crazy.

If you can please explain the difference between say a 5000 dollar CF frame and a 15000 dollar CF frame is.
Show me a $15,000 carbon fiber bike frame, and I'll answer your question.

Honestly, you keep changing your argument. So, which is it: Are cf bike frames too expensive? Is there not enough difference between a $5,000 cf frame and a (nonexistent) $15,000 cf frame? Is it that cf sometimes fails?

Every time someone shoots down one of your arguments, you come back with another. All that you are doing is failing, over and over and over again.

I've not seen any posters telling you NOT to ride a steel recumbent; why do you feel this constant need to tell others that they are fools for making other choices?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-12-21, 11:29 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Koyote
Show me a $15,000 carbon fiber bike frame, and I'll answer your question.

Honestly, you keep changing your argument. So, which is it: Are cf bike frames too expensive? Is there not enough difference between a $5,000 cf frame and a (nonexistent) $15,000 cf frame? Is it that cf sometimes fails?

Every time someone shoots down one of your arguments, you come back with another. All that you are doing is failing, over and over and over again.

I've not seen any posters telling you NOT to ride a steel recumbent; why do you feel this constant need to tell others that they are fools for making other choices?
Do you really think that a $15,000 CF ready to ride bike is totally smart???

Last edited by rydabent; 02-12-21 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-12-21, 11:55 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Your response would hold some weight if people hadnt died due to steel and aluminum frame failures.

I personally wouldnt buy a bike that costs 10-15K, but those who do arent being ripped off. They find value in it that I dont. And that value means they view it as money well spent. This is a classic example of projection.
I get it, its tough to not project as we all know whats best for others, right? But we dont.
Its cool if you dont find value in a $10K bike and you fell like you would be wasting money if you bought it. But dont push that onto others.

Link a frame that costs $15000, please. I am sure something exists- where there is a market there will be product, but I dont know of one.

You move goalposts a lot.
You still have yet to explain why all of the metals used are far superior for cf. Just focus on that for your next response, please.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-12-21, 12:03 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Do you really think that a CF ready to ride bike is totally smart???

Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-12-21, 12:07 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts

In relation to using those specific incidents as a reason why CF is not a good material, they ARE isolated incidents. You also might want to consider that materials failures are often issues with engineering and/or production, not the material itself. Besides - as has been pointed out by others - metal materials in airplanes don't exactly have a clean history, but yet you don't seem to have an issue with metal bikes. There are thousands of examples of CF being an excellent material (durable, strong, light, safe, etc.) in a multitude of applications. Is CF the right material for every application? Of course not. Using one issue to discredit CF material in all applications is being willfully ignorant.

Price is driven by the market. If people are willing to spend $1000 for a widget that costs $1 to make, then so be it. It also seems that you aren't willing or able to look past the simplistic view of just the cost of the raw material. As with a LOT of products, material cost is only a small part of the cost of production. Bicycle frames would be one example of that.

Here's another example - A friend of mine sells a product that he assembles and ships out of his garage. The parts for his product aren't a special material, nor are they complex. Someone with some mediocre fabrication skills could easily replicate a single copy of his product for quite a lot less than the cost he sells his for. Is he ripping people off? Absolutely not. Making a copy of his product doesn't include...
- The tremendous amount of time and wasted materials involved with developing the final design.
- The time and effort that goes into sourcing vendors to provide and manufacture the parts for larger-scale production.
- Printing of the company name on the product.
- Packaging for retail sale.
- Website and marketing costs.
- Profit (it's a business, not a charity)
- A bunch of little **** that it takes to run a business of any size.

If you think CF products are a rip-off because the material is so cheap, I invite you to start producing some CF parts of your own so you can pocket all that easy money for yourself.

As I've said, if you want to ride only metal bikes with metal components, have at it. Do what makes you happy...but try not to let the thought of metal airplane failures spoil your ride. Your arguments against CF are only serving to justify your own prejudice.

The difference between a $5k frame and a $15k frame?....Mostly marketing, probably. EDIT: Low-production specialty bikes could justifiably hit that number (see below).

Last edited by Eric F; 02-12-21 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-12-21, 12:19 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Do you really think that a CF ready to ride bike is totally smart???
Why would it not be? What are the factors you see that should prevent one from riding a CF bicycle?
Old 02-12-21, 12:24 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Twenty years from now, will cyclists be searching for 20+ year old carbon framed bikes on ebay, craigslist, etc...?
2 years from now, I will have a 20-year-old carbon-framed bike. Except for the diminished power of the motor, it performs exactly as it did when it was new.
Old 02-12-21, 12:26 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
2 years from now, I will have a 20-year-old carbon-framed bike. Except for the diminished power of the motor, it performs exactly as it did when it was new.
Good to know. I would be less inclined unless I knew the owner(s) and the bike's Hx. Steel framed bikes, I would have less of a concern.
Old 02-12-21, 12:27 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
Here is a link to a frame that is going to set you back at least a cool 15,500 GBP, so about $21,500 US.
https://www.hopetech.com/news/hbt-70...-and-counting/

The picture above is from that web site, and there are plenty more, Here is the link to actually buy one, or maybe just get in the queue, or maybe be told that since you are not a world class track racer you can sod off.

https://www.hopetech.com/news/hbt/

Mind you that 15,500 pounds is for the frame only. Those wheels are another 4,500 GBP

Marketing hype? I don't think so. This is what very low production niche products cost. But I'll wager that if the BB is not aligned they crush the frame and start over.

Also, can anyone find me a bike like that in steel? Yeah, maybe not. Mind you I own several steel bicycles, and they are a hoot to ride. My favorite bike is my Ritchey Tandem, and it is certainly steel. But when I bought a fat tire bike I went with carbon because it gave me the best bike for the money.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 02-12-21, 12:30 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
20 years from now? Hell, there's a current thread on BF for 25-30 year old carbon framed bikes; https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ting-bike.html
Based on the responses the early CF frames are doing just fine.
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 02-12-21, 12:31 PM
SeanMc

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This looks similar to my Steel AWOL (2013, i think?) which I freaking LOVE!!!
Old 02-12-21, 12:33 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Good to know. I would be less inclined unless I knew the owner(s) and the bike's Hx. Steel framed bikes, I would have less of a concern.
I recently purchased a 2-year-old CF bike based on online pics and a couple of messages with the seller. I have been completely satisfied with it. Unfortunately, it has the same motor issues as my 18-year-old CF bike.
Old 02-12-21, 02:08 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Here is a link to a frame that is going to set you back at least a cool 15,500 GBP, so about $21,500 US.

The picture above is from that web site, and there are plenty more, Here is the link to actually buy one, or maybe just get in the queue, or maybe be told that since you are not a world class track racer you can sod off.

https://www.hopetech.com/news/hbt/

Mind you that 15,500 pounds is for the frame only. Those wheels are another 4,500 GBP

Marketing hype? I don't think so. This is what very low production niche products cost. But I'll wager that if the BB is not aligned they crush the frame and start over.

Also, can anyone find me a bike like that in steel? Yeah, maybe not. Mind you I own several steel bicycles, and they are a hoot to ride. My favorite bike is my Ritchey Tandem, and it is certainly steel. But when I bought a fat tire bike I went with carbon because it gave me the best bike for the money.
My God that bike is ugly. Like the majority of plastic bikes.
Old 02-12-21, 02:16 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Just when you thought bikes couldn't get any uglier…
Old 02-12-21, 02:35 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Wileyone
My God that bike is ugly. Like the majority of plastic bikes.
Quite frankly that bike reminds me of when I was a kid on the farm. Look where that seat is and where the handle bars are. It reminds me of an old hen with her butt in the air and her head down picking corn out of a cow pie.
Old 02-12-21, 02:54 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Sadly he hurt himself but

This video really opened my eyes to what CF can do. As a kid who rode BMX I remember taking my Sisters Sears10 speed out and jumping it off a picnic table. The wheels tacoed, and the forks and handlebars bent. In fact I don't think there was a single piece of that bike that wasn't bent after. Later on I actually got into road cycling and one of my friends had a brand new Bianchi, with these stupidly expensive wheels that only had a few spokes in them. Just going off a curb or hitting train tracks and they would be bent.

I would like to get a CF bike but honestly two things keep stopping me.

1) Difficult telling if it's cracked. It's surprising but most sellers will object with you tapping it with a coin

2) Can't tell if it's FAKE. It's not like the good old days where jerks would swap a decal but knowing what traits to look for will save you heart ache. These fakes look identical!!! They just have low amounts of carbon in them etc. I'm sure there is ways to tell but I think it's way more difficult. I also feel like most of the CF breaking you hear about are fake bikes not made properly.

I think there is also a lot of diminishing value in CF. I watched a GCN video where they raced old vs new. And the old $100 1980's special was only something like 20 sec slower. Big deal in a race I agree, but for a guy like me that's meaningless. I could spend $10,000 on amazing CF but I'd probably be a few mins slower then a professional racer on a dutch city bike.
Old 02-12-21, 03:04 PM
guy153

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts

When Trek first started making CF monocoques around the year 2000 they probably went to an aircraft parts manufacturer in the USA and it cost a lot.

People got used to paying a lot for a CF bike and the huge cost savings of mass-producing them in China (not always to the highest standards) have not been passed onto the consumer.

But it's a free market and you can buy the same stuff (or what might be the same, caveat emptor) on Ali Express minus the trekgiantcannondalespecialized stickers for a small fraction of the cost. Or for probably only slightly more from YouTube sugar evangelist and life coach Durianrider.
​​​​​
​​

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.