Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bamboo socks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-23, 07:03 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
Bamboo socks?

Is anyone wearing bamboo socks while riding?
Are they delicate or do they last like cotton socks?
Old 07-21-23, 07:14 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Cotton doesn't seem appropriate for a cycling forum. Perhaps for a lose outer layer or a T-shirt. But certainly not for anything next to the skin that needs to move with you and have some support when wet with sweat.

So if bamboo socks compare themselves to cotton, consider them for times when you are off the bike and not sweating.
Old 07-21-23, 08:07 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Iride01
Cotton doesn't seem appropriate for a cycling forum. Perhaps for a lose outer layer or a T-shirt. But certainly not for anything next to the skin that needs to move with you and have some support when wet with sweat.

So if bamboo socks compare themselves to cotton, consider them for times when you are off the bike and not sweating.
Bamboo is moisture wicking and somewhat antibacterial.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 07-21-23, 08:16 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Too many splinters.
Old 07-21-23, 08:31 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
I had a pair of bamboo sock. These were for cold weather. They weren’t soft and comfortable. The wicked moisture. But the pair I had were too thick and warm for summer. They wore a hole in the heal rather soon.

Pearly’s possum hair socks are also warm.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 07-21-23, 08:34 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Beware of pandas when wearing those socks.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 07-21-23, 08:41 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by pepperbelly
Bamboo is moisture wicking and somewhat antibacterial.
Then my other two questions will be if it loses it's support as it gets wet with sweat as does cotton. Or does it become abrasive to the skin when wet with sweat as does cotton?

Have you found a pair of bamboo socks that claim to be good for cycling?
Old 07-21-23, 08:58 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Iride01
Then my other two questions will be if it loses it's support as it gets wet with sweat as does cotton. Or does it become abrasive to the skin when wet with sweat as does cotton?

Have you found a pair of bamboo socks that claim to be good for cycling?
I just started looking. This heat here has me thinking cotton really isn’t the fabric of our lives. I change socks and underwear at least once per day. I bought some bamboo boxers and was wondering if the socks would be useful.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 07-21-23, 09:07 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Wool is the best fabric for socks and that's what I prefer using. Best thing about wool is that it works great in both hot and cold weather.
Old 07-21-23, 09:14 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I just started looking. This heat here has me thinking cotton really isn’t the fabric of our lives. I change socks and underwear at least once per day. I bought some bamboo boxers and was wondering if the socks would be useful.
When I started walking with my wife up to 80 to a few times a 100 miles a week just before I got back into cycling, I found out the cotton wasn't the fabric for my life. My cotton briefs would soak up all the sweat and then stretch out of shape and wad up between my legs and rub sores where my legs rubbed together. Since then it's been the synthetic fiber sports underwear and socks for me. Cotton is very comfortable for the times I'm going to be dry. But that's not when I'm working in the yard or exercising.

So get something that has cycling in their advertisement. Or at least for sporting activities. If bamboo does, then try them and let us know.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-21-23 at 09:19 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-21-23, 10:57 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Good socks are getting kind of expensive (said every generation), but I've been really happy with the Bombas and the SmartWool cycling socks. The SmartWool are about 1/2 Merino wool, then synthetic; the Bombas are mostly synth with some cotton. Both hold up well in all respects.
Old 07-21-23, 12:02 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
I've been wearing bamboo socks for the last 12 months or so, on and off the bike. They are, indeed, antibacterial; I have to remember to wash them at regular intervals, because there's no odor after repeated uses. They're very comfortable, too. I've now retired my cotton blend and wool blend socks.

The only hit against them is that the first bamboo socks I bought were no more durable than wool blend socks. But now I buy bamboo with reinforced heels and toes, and these seem much more durable.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 07-21-23, 12:12 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Trakhak
I've been wearing bamboo socks for the last 12 months or so, on and off the bike. They are, indeed, antibacterial; I have to remember to wash them at regular intervals, because there's no odor after repeated uses. They're very comfortable, too. I've now retired my cotton blend and wool blend socks.

The only hit against them is that the first bamboo socks I bought were no more durable than wool blend socks. But now I buy bamboo with reinforced heels and toes, and these seem much more durable.
What brand?
Old 07-21-23, 12:38 PM
Trakhak

What brand?
The first that came up in an Amazon search for "reinforced toe heel bamboo socks." Six pair for $31.

1SOCK2SOCK - Men's 6 Pack Bamboo Blend Thin Crew Socks - Super Soft, Breathable, and Colorful Dress Socks

Old 07-21-23, 12:56 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
My wife hand knits a ton of socks, almost exclusively with wool but has used bamboo. I have a drawer full of colorful and warm wool socks I use for winter cycling.

Bamboo is a summer yarn. Cool, wicking, comfortable, strong. Honestly I just use store-bought cotton socks in the summer. If I lived in a hotter or humid climate I might use something else.
Old 07-21-23, 01:02 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
i wear cotton socks when cycling. never had an issue. temps here today are 100F but also only 7% humidity, that probably plays a role.
Old 07-21-23, 01:20 PM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by downtube42
My wife hand knits a ton of socks, almost exclusively with wool but has used bamboo. I have a drawer full of colorful and warm wool socks I use for winter cycling.

Bamboo is a summer yarn. Cool, wicking, comfortable, strong. Honestly I just use store-bought cotton socks in the summer. If I lived in a hotter or humid climate I might use something else.
I wore bamboo socks throughout the winter. Not appreciably different from wool regarding warmth. I was using Mavic winter shoes, so maybe that made a difference, along with the socks being machine knit rather than hand knit.
Old 07-21-23, 01:25 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Wool is the best fabric for socks and that's what I prefer using. Best thing about wool is that it works great in both hot and cold weather.
FIFY

Worst two things about wool are that it may cause itching and has real durability issues. A third issue is special washing instructions depending on wool and blend. I have used smartwool and have found they are comfortable but are not durable and do tend to shrink with washing.

I have had better durability with both Wright sock and Areo Tech Coolmax.

Bamboo makes for great fly rods, flooring, utensils, ISO container decking and many other uses.
Old 07-21-23, 02:46 PM
Galoot

Bikes: 1975 Coppi Campionissimo, 1980 Raleigh Grand Sport, 1983 Trek 520, 1983 Ciocc, 1995 Trek 520

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
"Bamboo" is just a fancy way of saying "rayon". It is another type of rayon fabric. Been around for many decades in some form or another.
Likes For Galoot:
Old 07-22-23, 07:24 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I thought they might be something special but I guess not.
I will keep wearing my Adidas athletic socks. They are polyester and should be fine for cycling.
Old 07-22-23, 07:34 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts

I swear by these... Been using them for years for cycling and non cycling. It has been uber hot here this year and my feet stay nice and dry. Nothing beats merino wool cycling socks.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 07-22-23, 10:21 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by Galoot
"Bamboo" is just a fancy way of saying "rayon". It is another type of rayon fabric. Been around for many decades in some form or another.
Had to look it up but spot on.
Rayon is the end process of bamboo.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 07-22-23, 10:27 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
In my own experience with the "bamboo" materials, I find most of the keywords and cause to be purely artificial, if not fully made up. I tried a shirt, some socks, and some sheets for the bed that were supposedly going to breathe better, wick moisture, all those keywords that seem so attractive. I prefer and get better performance from cotton.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 07-22-23, 12:29 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
“They’re hunting socks, sir.”

”At this hour?”
Old 07-22-23, 12:45 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Had to look it up but spot on.
Rayon is the end process of bamboo.
Well that was quite the rabbit hole. Interesting. All fabric called bamboo is created with the rayon process, not all rayon processed fabric is from bamboo. Per my wife the knitter, the % of bamboo matters a lot in the feel; higher is silkier. She says it knits more like cotton than wool, whatever that means. She's a yarn snob; rarely does she use cotton and never ever acrylic. Bamboo is something she'd use for knitting lightweight socks, as opposed to wool or alpaca for warmth.

Aside, from my perspective as a connoisseur of hand-knit and purchased socks, hand-knit are warmer and my preference for cycling, machine made have a tighter knit which is more comfortable for hiking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.