Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Terrible mistake, L'Eroica edition

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Terrible mistake, L'Eroica edition

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-24, 07:18 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
Would a 1988 mountain bike qualify for Eroica CA? From the descriptions of the route, including dirt roads, this would be a superb machine. I have toeclips and essentially mid-1980s derailleurs, crankset, and thumb shifters (which I have always operated in friction mode). It also has brakes that work exceptionally well: Shimano U-brake under the chainstays and SunTour RollerCam up front, all controlled by 4-finger motorcycle-style brake levers.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-27-24, 07:37 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,291 Times in 1,280 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
With brakes, it's all about system leverage, pad (good) friction, parasitic (bad) friction, caliper rigidity, and adjustment and lubrication of pivot points.

I still have the original Weinmann centerpulls on the Capos and Mafac centerpulls on the Peugeot, and those work far better than the Modolo or Campag. single-pivot sidepulls ever could, under any conditions, again because of leverage. One can also boost centerpull brake caliper system leverage by varying the length of the straddle cable, which is a trivial operation on Mafacs.
I agree . The Mafac Racer brakes on my Mondia are awesome. The pads on mine were changed at some point (not me) to Madison blue colored units that are quiet and effective. I live on a very steep hill so it is imperative I have my brakes on all my bikes in order . The Madison pads are pretty old but I hate to change anything about the braking on that bike. I recently put different wheels on so I had to readjust the brakes and Mafac are easy to get just right. It takes a bit more time , but they can be adjusted to "just right" easily.
Old 03-27-24, 10:29 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,602 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
It is interesting to me that the Eroica rules, which were promulgated around 1997 IIRC, essentially specify a bike that was 10 years old or older THEN, but is now 37 years old, rather than building the rules around "no technology less than 10 years old". Not a complaint!! It's a completely valid choice. I'm just curious about the choice.
The rules weren't really made up by the L'Eroica organizers, but are basically just a description of what racing bicycles looked like during what is considered the 'heroic period' in competitive road racing in continental Europe. When shorts were black, socks white and jerseys wool. When both the bikes and the riders were made of steel.

A period which ended sometime in the mid-eighties. In the wake of Greg Lemond and the 7-eleven team came the American TV networks and the advertising dollars. And within few years many traditions went overboard, the power shifted to the sponsors, technology development budgets bloomed and the riders basically became well-paid aero billboards.

One weekend a year, at L'Eroica, we all try to be Fausto Coppi, Louison Bobet or Ferdi Kübler.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 03-27-24, 11:17 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I think any event that celebrates a bygone era is always fun. Examples of older bikes, or whatever the item, is like touring a museum.

But it tends to be generational, and participation tends to decline as each generation moves on.

In the late 80’s/early 90’s I was involved in classic cars. It was a time when every week there was a cruise night somewhere; 50’s music, old cars (mostly hot rodded), and a lot of fun comparing and reminiscing. Every year, there was the Great Labor Day Cruise with a 1000 cars. It’s all gone, or nearly all gone.

For these events to continue, they do need to move forward. I can support a pecking order and special consideration given to those bikes that embrace the original criteria. I have not participated in one, but the start should be era driven.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 03-27-24, 11:27 AM
Andrew_G

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Would a 1988 mountain bike qualify for Eroica CA? ...
Here are the Eroica-CA rules: https://eroica.cc/en/california/regulation
In section 6.1 (i): "Mountain bikes, cyclocross bikes and time trial bikes are excluded from all routes."

Any of your road bikes would be acceptable and highly appreciated. And, the older, the better.

I rode EC in 2017, 2018 and 2019. 700x28 tires worked well enough for me.
Old 03-27-24, 11:33 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I think any event that celebrates a bygone era is always fun. Examples of older bikes, or whatever the item, is like touring a museum.

But it tends to be generational, and participation tends to decline as each generation moves on.

In the late 80’s/early 90’s I was involved in classic cars. It was a time when every week there was a cruise night somewhere; 50’s music, old cars (mostly hot rodded), and a lot of fun comparing and reminiscing. Every year, there was the Great Labor Day Cruise with a 1000 cars. It’s all gone, or nearly all gone.

For these events to continue, they do need to move forward. I can support a pecking order and special consideration given to those bikes that embrace the original criteria. I have not participated in one, but the start should be era driven.

John
It would be interesting to look at the age profile of these events over time. Our little monthly C&V ride does tend to skew older, but we also have a couple younger riders.

But the organizers are the ones whose vision this is, and they get to decide whether and how much to compromise it for participation numbers. It strikes me that part of the ethos is NOT compromising with modernity, in the quest to honor and emulate the heros of that era of cycling.

(As an aside, those of us whose interest in bike racing dates to the 90s and 00's have plenty of bikes to love, but a lot of our heroes at the time were subsequently brought low by drugging scandals. One hates to imagine what kind of ethos THAT would bring to historic cycling events honoring THAT era!)

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-27-24, 01:23 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 220 Posts

John
The Eroica folks do have a plan to move forward. That’s why they set up the Nova Eroica events. In the Nova events, so long as it’s a road bike, you meet the criteria. You’ll still have a good time, but it won’t be the same trip to the past.
Old 03-27-24, 01:44 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
They cab be 2024 vintage as long as you run them friction.
I was running downtube index shifting before 1987. Still am. Disqualified.

BTW, who goes to a costume party but doesn’t wear a costume?
I think it's more a case of telling everyone that only Dracula and Frankenstein costumes are allowed.
Old 03-27-24, 02:03 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
The rules weren't really made up by the L'Eroica organizers, but are basically just a description of what racing bicycles looked like during what is considered the 'heroic period' in competitive road racing in continental Europe. When shorts were black, socks white and jerseys wool. When both the bikes and the riders were made of steel.

A period which ended sometime in the mid-eighties. In the wake of Greg Lemond and the 7-eleven team came the American TV networks and the advertising dollars. And within few years many traditions went overboard, the power shifted to the sponsors, technology development budgets bloomed and the riders basically became well-paid aero billboards.

One weekend a year, at L'Eroica, we all try to be Fausto Coppi, Louison Bobet or Ferdi Kübler.
Just as long as you are not trying to be Ferdi Kubler on Mont Ventoux in 1955, were he basically rode himself into career oblivion . . . .

And pro road-racers have always been rolling billboards. Well, James Moore may not have been a rolling advertisement when he won the first Paris to Rouen road race (1868?), but damn near every one since then has had an advert or more on their back, front, and wherever else imagination came up with. Even when the TdF was contested by national teams, everyone had a sponsor's strip sewn onto their jerseys (and at some point, they had the sponsor's name on the legs of their shorts, too). The riders have become more aero, and the number of sponsors crammed onto a single jersey has long since gotten out of hand, but the fundamental truth that road racers are rolling billboards has been true long before any of us were born.
Old 03-27-24, 02:12 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
The Eroica folks do have a plan to move forward. That’s why they set up the Nova Eroica events. In the Nova events, so long as it’s a road bike, you meet the criteria. You’ll still have a good time, but it won’t be the same trip to the past.
My understanding L’Eroica first started in 1997 with a 1987 bike cutoff. So originally it was a 10 year old cutoff.

The Nova is basically a separate event so a person would not be riding along with vintage bikes in the same event.

I’m less in favor of a wide open event as I am less interested in modern/current bikes. But I would have a rolling date to include, at the least, 90’s bikes. But organizers can do what they want. A change would not impact me either way.

As a reference I first went to downtube index shifting in 2015 and still haven’t gone to STI’s. But I’ve used STI’s and can truly appreciate their significance to the sport. They will potentially have a longer use, on whatever future new bikes are offered, than downtube shifters.

John
Old 03-27-24, 02:19 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
At this point in time when steel bikes are facing extinction, I think a simple rule would suffice: steel bikes
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 03-27-24, 02:27 PM
70sSanO

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
At this point in time when steel bikes are facing extinction, I think a simple rule would suffice: steel bikes
I would add titanium.

John
Old 03-27-24, 02:49 PM
Lamont Cobb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
I'm wondering what would happen if you show up at an Eroica event and your bike isn't right. Do they turn you away? That would be harsh, if you travelled to the event, stayed overnight in a hotel, and had incurred other expenses and inconveniences.
Old 03-27-24, 03:01 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,291 Times in 1,280 Posts
I would think if you attend an event and "incur other expenses and inconveniences" to do so you would follow the guidelines unless you just don't care . The rules are easy and no one really checks your bike, but at least show up with the intent to look like you are following the guidelines. I have seen folks with bikes that are technically not within the rules but they are fine and they are there for the spirit of Eroica. Probably not a good idea to show up with a carbon bike with electronic shifting , but hey , it's up to you.
Old 03-27-24, 03:25 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I would think if you attend an event and "incur other expenses and inconveniences" to do so you would follow the guidelines unless you just don't care . The rules are easy and no one really checks your bike, but at least show up with the intent to look like you are following the guidelines. I have seen folks with bikes that are technically not within the rules but they are fine and they are there for the spirit of Eroica.
Well, and as others have stated, different Eroica rides have differing standards. I think the original Italian version may be the most strict. I think they might chuck you out.

Probably not a good idea to show up with a carbon bike with electronic shifting , but hey , it's up to you.
The Trek 5000 only missed by 2 years (1989), but Mavic Zap missed it by 5 (1992)

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-27-24, 04:09 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
(...) the fundamental truth that road racers are rolling billboards has been true long before any of us were born.
Cycling has been a professional sport from the very beginning in the late nineteenth century, but until the 1980's the average pro could hardly make a living from it. The very best, yes, they did well, but the rest? There is a reason that they all opened bike shops, became frame builders, bike mechanics or TV repair men as soon as they got off the bike.

L'Eroica is also a tribute to those unsung heroes, the domestiques, the gregarios:

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 03-27-24, 05:10 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Cycling has been a professional sport from the very beginning in the late nineteenth century, but until the 1980's the average pro could hardly make a living from it. The very best, yes, they did well, but the rest? There is a reason that they all opened bike shops, became frame builders, bike mechanics or TV repair men as soon as they got off the bike.

L'Eroica is also a tribute to those unsung heroes, the domestiques, the gregarios:
The average pro still made more than he would have in the fields, the mines or the factories. It was the savings from being a pro that gave some them enough capital to open a bike shop, a bar, a small restaurant, etc. when their careers were over, usually in their home town or home area to take full advantage of their local fame. A career as a gregario could lift the rider and his entire family out of poverty and into the merchant class - a very big step up for many, and the reason other family members would sacrifice to give the cyclist better food, decent equipment, time to train, etc. Pro cycling drew most of its riders from the same socio-economic pool as boxing and baseball did in the USA - the urban and rural poor. It was never an easy way to make a living - it still isn't.

You are absolutely right - for the average pro, they were not going to get rich and likely had to scrape by on their regular pay (assuming the team actually paid them - far too many racers got stiffed when it is was time to collect their pay envelopes. Salaries were paltry for all but the Coppis, Bartalis and others in that stratosphere. Most of the riders had to have off-season jobs, and most had to race as hard as they could in as many racers as they could over the entire season. The real money was in (1) endorsements (increasingly so as the years went by) and (2) appearance fees at post-Tour criteriums and six-day races. One of the ways a team leader insured the loyalty of his domestiques/gregarios was to make criterium promoters include some of the leader's lieutenants and pay them an appearance fee, too. Just as the brighter lights got higher appearance fees, so too they could negotiate to bring along a greater number of their domestiques.
Old 03-27-24, 05:38 PM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
I found these statements on the L’Eroica web site. The rules have a lot of words about the aero brake levers and cable routing, but nothing very specific about the brake calipers. In my opinion, dual pivot calipers would probably not get you kicked out.

This one is for the Italian event: i) There are no restrictions regarding the type of brakes, as long as they are in keeping with the period of construction of the bicycle and they are safe.

This one is for the California event: i) there are no particular rules on the type of brakes as long as they are in line with the construction period of the bicycle and that they are efficient for safety reasons.

For California, aero brake levers are okay: c) we prefer the traditional brake lever setup on the bicycles, brake cables pass outside and over the handlebars (cables can pass inside the top tube of main frame), however, starting in 2017, aero brake levers without built in shifters will be allowed.

It seems that the Italian event has plenty of entries, so they aren't worried about losing a few people who don't want to comply. On the other hand, California is trying to attract more entrants, so they are more flexible. In the end, it's really just cosplay for bikes. There are a few concessions made for safety, but the idea is to experience what the old timers had to put up with back in the day.
Even this is subject to interpretation by the local judges.

I had a friend that showed up to the start in Gaiole on a perfect 1970's era Alan cyclocross bike. They told him that his brakes were non compliant (canti's) - while he was welcome to do the ride, he could not get his ride card stamped, therefore despite doing the long ride, his finish wasn't registered.
Old 03-27-24, 11:08 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
I would add titanium.

John
I’ll see your titanium and raise you an unobtanium.
Old 03-28-24, 11:40 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

I’ll see your titanium and raise you an unobtanium.
I'll see your unobtanium and raise you a beryllium. (I've actually ridden a berryllium-framed bike. Once. 25 or 30 years ago. A short ride. It was significantly too small for me. Stupid light. )
Old 03-28-24, 11:57 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I'll see your unobtanium and raise you a beryllium. (I've actually ridden a berryllium-framed bike. Once. 25 or 30 years ago. A short ride. It was significantly too small for me. Stupid light. )
Good thing Beryllium frames were so light, because taking a drill to it could kill you!

Old 03-28-24, 12:27 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by Thalia949
I had a friend that showed up to the start in Gaiole on a perfect 1970's era Alan cyclocross bike. They told him that his brakes were non compliant (canti's) - while he was welcome to do the ride, he could not get his ride card stamped, therefore despite doing the long ride, his finish wasn't registered.
I can't find it anymore in the current version of the rules and guidelines of L'Eroica, but there used to be an explicit statement in them that cyclocross bikes were not allowed. They now just say it's for "road-racing bicycles", which boils down to the same thing.

WRT brakes the current rules state:

i) There are no restrictions regarding the type of brakes, as long as they are in keeping with the period of construction of the bicycle and they are safe.
Modern dual-pivot brakes are from the nineties or later, so don't qualify. There were much earlier versions, such as the Altenburger Synchron, but this is what Sheldon Brown had to say about those:

However, if you're speaking of modern dual pivot sidepulls, the earliest
ones I know of were made by Altenberger in the late '60s.

They were generally considered slightly inferior to the popular
centerpull calipers of the day from Mafac, Weinmann, Universal and GB.

The superiority of modern brakes has much more to do with improved
levers, cables and shoes than it does with caliper design.

Sheldon "Used To Ride With An Altenberger On The Back" Brown

Old 03-28-24, 04:53 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Originally Posted by genejockey
Good thing Beryllium frames were so light, because taking a drill to it could kill you!
True that. I am told that solid beryllium is not a problem - someone told me you could lick it without ill effects, but I refrained from putting that to the test - but anything that could get inhaled into your lungs makes asbestos look positively benign by comparison. I am also given to believe that beryllium is tough and hard to break, but that when it does break it kind of shatters and woe unto thee if you are within breathing range of such an event. As in "get your affairs in order" level woe.

Of course, I am speaking from the unique position of having zero first-hand knowledge of beryllium fabrication. I just rode a beryllium-framed bike once and have had people tell me things.
Old 03-28-24, 05:13 PM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts

Old 03-28-24, 05:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

True that. I am told that solid beryllium is not a problem - someone told me you could lick it without ill effects, but I refrained from putting that to the test - but anything that could get inhaled into your lungs makes asbestos look positively benign by comparison. I am also given to believe that beryllium is tough and hard to break, but that when it does break it kind of shatters and woe unto thee if you are within breathing range of such an event. As in "get your affairs in order" level woe.

Of course, I am speaking from the unique position of having zero first-hand knowledge of beryllium fabrication. I just rode a beryllium-framed bike once and have had people tell me things.
I remember discussions of Beryllium's toxicity from years ago, but I'm not sure where.

Likes For genejockey:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.