Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why the rear brake?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why the rear brake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-12, 04:17 AM
powbob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why the rear brake?

I know this is a stupid question, but I currently only have a track bike to which I have added a front brake. This stops me very well from speeds up to about the low 30's MPH. So why do I need a rear brake on the geared bike I'm building? I'm sure there are real world reasons. Just curious.
Old 05-16-12, 04:21 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22610 Post(s)
Liked 8,934 Times in 4,164 Posts
Even better stopping and better modulation.

The front break is clearly better than the rear, but the combo is better.

It's like asking why have a front derailleur, just a 1x10 is adequate.
Old 05-16-12, 04:44 AM
powbob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Makes sense. Thank you.
Old 05-16-12, 05:01 AM
MrTuner1970
Underwhelming

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Ti, Dean El Vado Ti, Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What datlas said. And I don't know about you, but if my front brake cable broke during a ride, having the rear brake would kinda be nice.
Old 05-16-12, 05:30 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 614 Posts
Originally Posted by powbob
I know this is a stupid question, but I currently only have a track bike to which I have added a front brake. This stops me very well from speeds up to about the low 30's MPH. So why do I need a rear brake on the geared bike I'm building? I'm sure there are real world reasons. Just curious.
How about the mid 50s, when a car pulls out in front of you ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 05-16-12, 05:36 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you are ever going down a steep, winding, wet road ... and you pull your front brake, inevitably falling down and breaking about every bone in and around your neck ... THEN will you know why bikes have rear brakes ... if you're not dead, at least.
Old 05-16-12, 05:42 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6768 Post(s)
Liked 5,485 Times in 3,226 Posts
Originally Posted by MrTuner1970
What datlas said. And I don't know about you, but if my front brake cable broke during a ride, having the rear brake would kinda be nice.
Bingo.

And of course with a fixed gear you can stop the bike by stopping the pedals from turning.
Old 05-16-12, 05:44 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6768 Post(s)
Liked 5,485 Times in 3,226 Posts
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
If you are ever going down a steep, winding, wet road ... and you pull your front brake, inevitably falling down and breaking about every bone in and around your neck ... THEN will you know why bikes have rear brakes ... if you're not dead, at least.
Your world is a very dangerous place...
Old 05-16-12, 05:53 AM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You also can use your rear brakes only when slowing to a stop or in most "non-critical" braking situations. This'll help spread out your brake wear on rims/pads so you are not destroying only the front rim/pads.
Old 05-16-12, 06:24 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,380 Times in 893 Posts
You need a rear brake so you can lay down some "awesome patches".
Old 05-16-12, 06:38 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Braking with the rear brake is more stable, I think. I was taught to start braking with the rear, then add the front for a quicker "panic" stop if needed. The front wheel has less weight on it on a typical road bike, and is therefore easier to brake which is not always a good thing. In an extreme front-only stop, you could pitch over the front wheel. I picture it as throwing an anchor behind you rather than a block in front of you.
Old 05-16-12, 06:59 AM
Altbark

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale T1, 1998 Specialized FSR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Braking with the rear brake is more stable, I think. I was taught to start braking with the rear, then add the front for a quicker "panic" stop if needed. The front wheel has less weight on it on a typical road bike, and is therefore easier to brake which is not always a good thing. In an extreme front-only stop, you could pitch over the front wheel. I picture it as throwing an anchor behind you rather than a block in front of you.
There is absolutely nothing correct in this reply. Nothing!!! Andrewclaus does not know how weight transfers when braking and clearly does not know how to apply the brakes on a two wheeled vehicle when doing an emergency stop. How sad.
Old 05-16-12, 07:13 AM
Ooompa Loompa
Powered by pie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suggest reading Sheldon Brown's page on braking. https://sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html When I first started coming to bikeforums I was one of those who used thier rear brake 90% of the time. I've since trained myself to instead use the front brake 90% of the time and I can feel a massive difference. It's so much safer, and it works better.
Old 05-16-12, 07:16 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
From Sheldon Brown:
Maximum Deceleration--Emergency Stops
The fastest that you can stop any bike of normal wheelbase is to apply the front brake so hard that the rear wheel is just about to lift off the ground. In this situation, the rear wheel cannot contribute to stopping power, since it has no traction.

...snip..

Using both brakes together can cause "fishtailing." If the rear wheel skids while braking force is also being applied to the front, the rear of the bike will tend to swing past the front, since the front is applying a greater decelerating force than the rear. Once the rear tire starts to skid, it can move sideways as easily as forward.

Before I knew better, I locked up the rear in an emergency stop and started the fishtailing. Letting off the back brake stopped it. But I was lucky I didn't crash.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back brakes are good for alternating wheels on long downhills, so the rims don't get too hot, and are fine for normal easy braking. And I use the back brake in slippery conditions.

Last edited by rm -rf; 05-16-12 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-16-12, 07:21 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
From Sheldon Brown:
Maximum Deceleration--Emergency Stops
The fastest that you can stop any bike of normal wheelbase is to apply the front brake so hard that the rear wheel is just about to lift off the ground. In this situation, the rear wheel cannot contribute to stopping power, since it has no traction.
and if you think you can yank the front brake and hold it at exactly that point, on the edge of tipping over the front wheel, for the duration of a stop, I would like to see that. A little light use of the rear brake helps fill in with extra stopping power where you don't quite have the guts to push that envelope on the front. Yes, you have to use it carefully to avoid locking up the rear. The rear is also good for other reasons mentioned here - backup, alternating for heat management, slower stops, and most importantly for laying down "awesome patches"
Old 05-16-12, 07:36 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo
Your world is a very dangerous place...
I don't know how you ride, but I tend to "hang" while going fast in turns.
If I were to come across anything unexpected while "hanging" on wet or muddy roads ... and if I would apply my front brake ... I would surely go down.
Rear brakes can be very handy in these situations. A bit of skidding may occur but at least I could brake without my front wheel drifting.
I have never crashed and I have never had any accident with my bike yet, so I might know what I'm talking about or I might just get lucky.
Old 05-16-12, 07:45 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Ooompa Loompa
I suggest reading Sheldon Brown's page on braking. https://sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html When I first started coming to bikeforums I was one of those who used thier rear brake 90% of the time. I've since trained myself to instead use the front brake 90% of the time and I can feel a massive difference. It's so much safer, and it works better.
Thank you for the link and constructive reply. I've just learned something which is why I'm on this forum!

Originally Posted by Altbark
There is absolutely nothing correct in this reply. Nothing!!! Andrewclaus does not know how weight transfers when braking and clearly does not know how to apply the brakes on a two wheeled vehicle when doing an emergency stop. How sad.
After reading the above Sheldon Brown link, I would delete the second sentence but otherwise I stand by my reply. I do agree, now, that learning to brake correctly with the front brake is an excellent skill to have. I accept your criticism about not knowing how to apply the brakes. Yes, it's sad, but it's why we continue to learn things from good teachers.

But there's apparently nothing wrong with my basic understanding of the physics. The Sheldon Brown article states that when braking with the front, the rear wheel can leave the ground, not exactly a stable position to be in, and exactly what I said.
Old 05-16-12, 07:49 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
But there's apparently nothing wrong with my basic understanding of the physics. The Sheldon Brown article states that when braking with the front, the rear wheel can leave the ground, not exactly a stable position to be in, and exactly what I said.
In my experience, that fear is generally unfounded. Yes, you can can brake with the front hard enough to go over the bars, but that is a LOT harder to do than most people who avoid the front brake think.
Old 05-16-12, 07:58 AM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I find the back brake for me is better at feathering my speed on a decent.
Old 05-16-12, 09:25 AM
EdIsMe

Bikes: 2011 Neuvation FC100, 2013 Mercier Kilo TT Pro, 1984 Peugeot SV-L

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A hammer is not the best tool for all jobs and a front brake is not the best tool for all braking. Having both is just better.
Old 05-16-12, 09:37 AM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
like a motorcycle, if you're in dirt or gravel (which I cross on certain rides) you don't want to use your front brake, you want to use your rear, if you don't chances are you're going down.
Old 05-16-12, 09:39 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I am not even sure I agree with the article written by Mr Brown. I do not doubt his experience or knowledge, but would never tell ANYONE to brake only with the front wheel in any situation.
I fall back to what I learned from motorcycle instruction, as it applies to bicycles just as well.

Front brake is 80% of your braking power, back is 20%. In most situations the front brake will do most of the stopping, and the back brake is much like an indicator. If it skids during stopping you should modulate slightly on both in order to eliminate the skid from the back end. In any situation where you are making a low speed turn, or in wet conditions, the back brake should be applied a bit more than the front. Your stopping power will be lessened, but so will the possibility of loosing traction on the front wheel and going down.
Really has a lot to do with feel and experience. Over application of the front brakes pushes your center of gravity too far forward and makes you unstable on the bike. Aside from that, the mention above about a back up brake in case of failure is golden.
Old 05-16-12, 09:44 AM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by punkncat
I am not even sure I agree with the article written by Mr Brown. I do not doubt his experience or knowledge, but would never tell ANYONE to brake only with the front wheel in any situation.
I fall back to what I learned from motorcycle instruction, as it applies to bicycles just as well.

Front brake is 80% of your braking power, back is 20%. In most situations the front brake will do most of the stopping, and the back brake is much like an indicator. If it skids during stopping you should modulate slightly on both in order to eliminate the skid from the back end. In any situation where you are making a low speed turn, or in wet conditions, the back brake should be applied a bit more than the front. Your stopping power will be lessened, but so will the possibility of loosing traction on the front wheel and going down.
Really has a lot to do with feel and experience. Over application of the front brakes pushes your center of gravity too far forward and makes you unstable on the bike. Aside from that, the mention above about a back up brake in case of failure is golden.
seems like shifting your weight back will help avoid the "lifting" of the rear wheel.
Old 05-16-12, 09:44 AM
Ricanfred

Bikes: Yes, I ride an aluminum Trek!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back brakes only in slippery conditions and both brakes with a lot more lever pressure on the front brake for me works the best.
Old 05-16-12, 09:54 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
In an extreme front-only stop, you could pitch over the front wheel. I picture it as throwing an anchor behind you rather than a block in front of you.
There are many youtube videos of folks going over the front of their bars when braking hard. And if you pay attention, you can see that every one of them had their arms loose and elbows bent. If one uses their arms and skeletal system, there is very little chance of doing an "endo" when using your front brake.

This is not an original concept, and has been the basis of some previous fairly educational threads. And the video evidence is always entertaining.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.